Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Case Dismissed! Geohot and Sony Reach Unexpected Settlement

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Case Dismissed! Geohot and Sony Reach Unexpected Settlement

The saga of Geohot and Sony is now behind us. As the out-of-nowhere headlines today reveal, infamous iDevice and PS3 hacker George "GeoHot" Hotz and Sony have apparently patched things up. In fact, the two warring parties are coming to terms with their recent high-profile legal grudge match and settling matters peacefully.

Moments ago, Sony and Geohot released a joint statement heralding a conclusion to the courtroom showdown that has dragged on for weeks. "The parties reached an agreement in principle on March 31, 2011," the statement reads. "As part of the settlement, Hotz consented to a permanent injunction."

What does this mean exactly? It's safe to assume Geohot agreed to stop hacking any and all Sony products, an outcome that once again raises the question of the legality of jailbreaking. After all, if a prominent hacker agrees to an injunction to stop what Sony calls an illegal activity, might not this precedent suggest that others attempting to jailbreak the PS3 - or other devices - might be held up to similar prosecution? These are important questions that, without a doubt, will soon surface in another case involving jailbreaking.

“Sony is glad to put this litigation behind us,” said Riley Russell, General Counsel for SCEA. “Our motivation for bringing this litigation was to protect our intellectual property and our consumers. We believe this settlement and the permanent injunction achieve this goal.”

“It was never my intention to cause any users trouble or to make piracy easier,” Hotz added, “I’m happy to have the litigation behind me.”

“We want our consumers to be able to enjoy our devices and products in a safe and fun environment and we want to protect the hard work of the talented engineers, artists, musicians and game designers who make PlayStation games and support the PlayStation Network,” added Russell. “We appreciate Mr. Hotz’s willingness to address the legal issues involved in this case and work with us to quickly bring this matter to an early resolution.”

To read the full joint statement on the PlayStation blog, click here.

Source: Official PlayStation Blog

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

FreeApple (04-11-2011)

Glad its over. Not really the way i wanted to see it go down but hey geohot can still hack apple products :P
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Quote Originally Posted by Westerman View Post
    Glad its over. Not really the way i wanted to see it go down but hey geohot can still hack apple products :P
    True! Now maybe he'll starting with the iPad2 JB!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ProZack27 For This Useful Post:

FreeApple (04-11-2011), zeroGsti (04-11-2011)

The problem I think sony had was that the main use for what he was doing was for piracy. You can sugar coat it any way you want with "I'm backing up my legally purchased game", but 99% of people will be using it to play games they downloaded.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GmAz For This Useful Post:

gthugballin (04-12-2011), moon#pie (04-11-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphone4idiots's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ProZack27 View Post
    True! Now maybe he'll starting with the iPad2 JB!
    Exactly what I was thinking. We can hope!
    I thought my carrier was bad til I got a new web host

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    The problem I think sony had was that the main use for what he was doing was for piracy. You can sugar coat it any way you want with "I'm backing up my legally purchased game", but 99% of people will be using it to play games they downloaded.
    You're exactly right. Yeah Sony seemed like a total jerk about it, but looking at the business side of things it's reasonable. Companies look out for what's best for the company.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

True.
    Running "backups" is the worst excuse. No one realistically has any need or requirement to run backups of their games.

Good to see the lawsuit over because it just did more harm to both parties. I fully support Sony to go after pirates and those making "backup" manager apps for PS3 though.

I wish he would have fought back...I wanted to see the jailbreaking of ps3's legalized!

The only reason he agreed to drop it was probably because they threatened to sue his *** broke. If he didn't do anything illegal, he wouldn't have kept this case going; I know it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Except for the fact that the firmware Geohot created did not allow for backup manager usage. Other hackers came out with those, yet for some reason Sony decided to sue the crap out of Geohot. The lawsuit was more about the keys that Geohot posted to the web that allowed people to make their own firmwares. But I am fully in support of free information like that. Geohot should not be the one to have taken the lawsuit for it, the hackers developing the backup manager enabled firmwares should be.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wakka102 For This Useful Post:

game.over (04-12-2011), nutz (04-11-2011), staterunner180 (04-11-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wakka102 View Post
    Except for the fact that the firmware Geohot created did not allow for backup manager usage. Other hackers came out with those, yet for some reason Sony decided to sue the crap out of Geohot.
    Edit: never mind you added to your post

well good thing that BS lawsuit is over. on to Rubyra1n for Geo. im sure he'll drop ipad2 JB soon (fingers crossed)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Sony is the bad guy
    Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Edit: never mind you added to your post
    Sony, as most large corporations, is the psychotic personification of evil. Imagine a world where you would not be able to add/modify anything that you own: your car, your house, could not even buy a piece of lumber from Home Depot unless "manufacturer approved". All your owned items in your life would be "rented" from large corporations with "agreements" they could retroactively change at will in which you would have no rights and no recourse.

F_S_C_K YOU.

I have not bought a piece of hardware from Sony in over 15 years ever since they started this "intelectual property" S_H_IT that seems the skeleton so adulated here also believes in. May he writhe in agony for many years.
    Last edited by konrads; 04-11-2011 at 11:59 AM.
    Jesus will come and deliver the 5.0 Apple FW. Jailbreak soon after, just wait a "few days" more.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to konrads For This Useful Post:

5h4d0w (04-11-2011), maconsultant (04-12-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey, Messany has the news the day it happens! Good job!
    And it's good that this is over, I'm so happy!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to coolguy742 For This Useful Post:

gthugballin (04-12-2011)

Ok time for iPad 2 jb!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

But I'm still on 3.55 CFW, modified ps3's for the win!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to coolguy742 For This Useful Post:

wohhey (04-11-2011)

I guess the next person to release a ps3 hack won't try to add their name and take credit for it. I knnow I wouldn't.
    Yeah, you'll be the coolest person in the room when you pull one out and show it around, but that gets old fast when three other people have them and one person somehow has one that glows in the dark.
    John C. Dvorak
    The American columnist and broadcaster in article 'Rethinking the iPhone' in PC Magazine.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,893 Times in 6,043 Posts

Did Geo cave in from the pressure? Scares me to think of what may come next for all us jailbreakers.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (04-11-2011)

Well maybe Sony needs to learn to give users what they want! Ie a system that allows users to install the full disc and only need to insert master disc randomly! Problem solved! Along with ability for people to make, share their own games!

lol There go all their xperia sales.

I'm glad for geohot but I thought this was about fighting for moders rights. This doesn't really help anyone except for big corporations who will now feel they can stop people from jailbreaking "their" devices

29. The Following User Says Thank You to kraziebone For This Useful Post:

vantheman169 (04-11-2011)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast