+ Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Case Dismissed! Geohot and Sony Reach Unexpected Settlement

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by alexevo Let's be realistic, did anyone really expect GeoHot to possibly become a martyr by fighting Sony tooth and nail or did he just want this to
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    Let's be realistic, did anyone really expect GeoHot to possibly become a martyr by fighting Sony tooth and nail or did he just want this to be over with and not get a fine or jail time?

I think we all know it was the latter. Furthermore, can't GeoHot just keep hacking the PS3 and release whatever he wants anonymously under different names, different IP addresses, etc. and just quietly relish the fact that he got them once again but they'll never know?

As far as donations, we all knew we were donating for a cause but that the funds could possibly be utilized in other ways. That and even if anyone were to sue on suspicion of misuse of the funds there wouldn't be any proof nor would there be any way to know who's funds got used for his legal defense and who's funds got used for his vacation if any at all.

Let's just chalk it up to us donating for the past jailbreaks he provided for us and move on. None of us wanted to fight that fight and he fought it until he finally got an out and he took it just like any one of us would have.
    Exactly.

I don't understand where people get off on the fact that Geohot "stole" donations or used them in a way that wasn't stated on his webpage. Has it ever occured to everyone that he has to pay legal fees for hiring lawyers?

Any money left over Geohot will put to good use, NOT buying a brand new 100" flat screen television.

Quote Originally Posted by iliveudie View Post
    Do you forget who we are talking about here!?!?! George Hotz!!! The man whose greed for fame caused every bit of this!!! You think he can live with doing this anonymously?
    He didn't do it for fame or knowing that the rootkey was quote "copywritten" (which still there's no proof that i've seen).
    Last edited by The Amazing Atheist; 04-13-2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

"he didn't do it for fame"
    Really? You think that?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Just like anyone else who is proud of their hard work, he did it because he could and probably for notoriety. In the end, we're all guilty of vain now and then and I'm sure Geohot has learned from this and will quietly release his future PS3 jailbreaks spoofed through an alias running through a proxy(lol DidUSeeWhatIDidThere?)

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Syn View Post
    I've been asking for months now and no avail for an answer. Where does it state that Geohot has broken any law by publicising the rootkey? Where does it say that the rootkey is copywritten? Send me the link to where it says it is. Otherwise I don't think what he's done is illegal. Just because sony says something is illegal doesn't mean it is. Now, it could be illegal in their gaming systems and could result in a PSN ban, but not a lawsuit.
    And we've told you multiple times, go and read the DMCA.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by konrads View Post
    I believe in the US car companies tried some of that S_H_IT. As far as the execs of those soulless, criminal (BP) companies I am looking forward when they will be arrested and executed by a firing squad for the misery they have brought the US and the world by their greed. The banks, the megacorps, the corruption, the technology companies spying on people without punishment a heartfelt F_S_C_K YOU and am looking forward when I will command the execution platoon that will terminate you. The day will come. It came for s_hits like you in Russia and Germany, it will here. The sooner, the better.

Corporate personhood is an abomination that should be deleted and corruption and regulatory capture should be punished.
    Why don't you hold the government agencies and officials who were supposed to be inspecting such companies but instead turned a blind eye once money was thrown their way?

This argument annoys me everytime I hear it. We don't bother to care about the corners big businesses cut until it comes back to bite us in the ***.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by konrads View Post
    I boycott Sony nevertheless for the corrupt power they are and have convinced many people NOT to buy Sony products due to the way they behave. Buy Samsing electronics/TV's they care more about the customer, buy a Xbox 360 rather than a PS3. Those companies are not much better, but at least they are not as bad as Sony. So they get the bad PR, maybe not as much as they should, because of what they DO.
    Good luck with that, they only have roughly 1,000 subsidiary branches/companies.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Regarding the copyright issue and the Sony EULA, it states that no part of the software may be disassembled, reverse-engineered, etc. or disessminated in whole or in part without Sony's express written consent.

Rootkeys are part of the software and thus are subject to this copyright. Argument settled.

Almost any EULA I've ever read includes this clause so Geohot knew he could get in some trouble but he release them anyway for the good of the people and hoped that people would put them to good use and not use them for piracy.

And for that, we thank you.
    Last edited by alexevo; 04-13-2011 at 12:11 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Where the F do you guys get these GeoHot pics lmaoooo

+ Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567