+ Reply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Case Dismissed! Geohot and Sony Reach Unexpected Settlement

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Ohh..he already sold the Exploit to other people..so dont be surprise to see anything yet to be published when SONY patch this firmware once again... Only one thing is GeoHots
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Ohh..he already sold the Exploit to other people..so dont be surprise to see anything yet to be published when SONY patch this firmware once again... Only one thing is GeoHots is SAFE...thats important..and now he must concentrate for unlock for iphone 4 and the rest...haha

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robbpell View Post
    I guess the next person to release a ps3 hack won't try to add their name and take credit for it. I knnow I wouldn't.
    EXACTLY!!! Geohot can still hack PS3's, he just needs to get an alias and stop using his real name

Thanks
    IMO, the most important aspect of this entire matter is that an obviously very intelligent and inspired young man will not suffer any long term legal difficulties. There are already too many challenges ahead. Best wishes, Geohot!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ProZack27 View Post
    True! Now maybe he'll starting with the iPad2 JB!
    I love it how after all what he's just been through, you expect him to get straight back on the jailbreaking scene. He does have a life you know. The iPad 2 will probably be sorted by The other jailbreaking dev's anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,751 Times in 5,980 Posts

IMHO, Geo bailed on us. I'm taking my ball and going home and no one can play with it anymore, wtf?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

loco_dos (04-12-2011), miggyme (04-11-2011)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drewstone View Post
    well good thing that BS lawsuit is over. on to Rubyra1n for Geo. im sure he'll drop ipad2 JB soon (fingers crossed)
    hope so already 1 month no j/b SMH!!

Thanks

Surprised he did not get a job offer.

Companies usually want these kinds of people working for them...not against.

Latest Project: iEvo HD4 TrueHD iPhone4 theme. ~~~ Click Donate to support my theme's!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    It's a sad day for the community and the consumer.

I do however understand this to be among the best actually possible outcomes for GeoHot, versus being further crushed and annihilated by the behemoth's giant paw, so I'm happy for the guy, that he won't have to suffer through a full-fledged FUD-driven witch hunt.

Lesson learned?

Probably something like "if you're gonna mess with giants, do it in a way they can never find you or they'll stomp you to death".

Maybe someday the collective will be able to overthrow the giant, but besides their giant crushing paws, they can also afford whatever weapons money can buy...

So, unfortunately 'hackers winning' is just an utopian / anarchic dream in this real world of ours.
    This sick, twisted, money-driven 'small-fish living by the rules of a few big fishes' world of ours, where it is legally Ok to dismantle and do whatever pleases you to any of YOUR PROPERTY, unless YOUR property is still governed by the rules of OTHERS (so, is it technically really YOURS?! )

When it comes to jailbreaking enabling piracy - just let me say that Walmart shouldn't sell knifes, who knows how many people can be killed by the folks buying all those knifes!

Sad day...
    Last edited by nutz; 04-11-2011 at 05:14 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nutz For This Useful Post:

5h4d0w (04-11-2011)

Thanks

No amount of donations can go against the money power Sony has. When a foreign company starts suing Americans, it is time to say no. Therefore I will not buy anything from Sony, games, music, movies, electronics. For all I care they can sell their crap to their own people.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winterboarder For This Useful Post:

5h4d0w (04-11-2011), loco_dos (04-12-2011)

Thanks

Sony called it off after they realized they're losing $$ over this childish case.

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    No confundas mi personalidad con mi actitud. Mi personalidad es quien soy yo, mi actitud depende de quien seas tú.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5h4d0w's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    But you don't own the software or have the right to modify the official software.
    Unless the custom firmware is completely original and not a hack of Sonys software.
    Once something comes into my possession (legally), it becomes my property. Sony has no right to it any longer. That's just how it works. It's common law.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I wonder if anonymous had anything to do with this?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What ever happened to "stick it to the man" ??

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5h4d0w View Post
    Once something comes into my possession (legally), it becomes my property. Sony has no right to it any longer. That's just how it works. It's common law.
    But that where the license agreement comes in

Sure, you can spray paint or draw on your ps3, take out the hard drive, replace the hard drive, etc. But, when it comes to the software...you automatically agreed to abide by sony's software license agreement when you bought it. Which does state that any unauthorized modifications are "illegal"

But, yes, the same thing was in apple's software agreement, and it was still ruled lawful. But as of now, the ps3 jailbreak has not been added to the list of circumvention exemptions within the DMCA. So, in theory, it is still "illegal" to modify your ps3's software (jailbreaking).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Westerman View Post
    Glad its over. Not really the way i wanted to see it go down but hey geohot can still hack apple products :P
    whats to keep apple from doing the same thing to him and anyone else??

Thanks

Interesting. So now all Apple has to do is sue as well for the same outcome. I don't see this as a win. And BTW with no legal battle to fund now, what happens to Geo's defense money?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g12007 View Post
    whats to keep apple from doing the same thing to him and anyone else??
    In 2010, the EFF (electronic frontier foundation) pushed the courts to add the jailbreaking of an iPhone to the list of circumvention exemptions within the DMCA, meaning it is officially lawful.

As of now, there has been no review of whether or not jailbreaking the ps3 is 'lawful'. Until that court case/complaint arrives, sony can claim it being illegal all they want.

Green Apple
    Thanks

is anyone else furious that the money of geohot's supporters forhis lawsuit were for nought?? Essentially what happened was those ppl paid for his legal fees just so he could buckle under the pressure frm sony and he achieved absolutely nothing. what a f***in pu**y

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5h4d0w's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bstunt10190 View Post
    is anyone else furious that the money of geohot's supporters forhis lawsuit were for nought?? Essentially what happened was those ppl paid for his legal fees just so he could buckle under the pressure frm sony and he achieved absolutely nothing. what a f***in pu**y
    Uh, no? They donated voluntarily, knowing full well that he may not win the case.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    In Soviet Russia the iPhone jailbreaks you.
    In the USA Sony breaks or jails pretty much anyone they want.
    Last edited by nutz; 04-11-2011 at 07:30 PM.

+ Reply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast