+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anonymous Reportedly Takes Aim at Sony as Retribution for Geohot

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Sony is reportedly being targeted by the infamous hack-attack group known only as Anonymous. The reason? Possible revenge over what the consumer electronics giant is doing to Geohot, the famous
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Anonymous Reportedly Takes Aim at Sony as Retribution for Geohot

Sony is reportedly being targeted by the infamous hack-attack group known only as Anonymous. The reason? Possible revenge over what the consumer electronics giant is doing to Geohot, the famous hacker who, according to Sony, had the audacity to hack the PS3 and share his findings with the modding community.

DDoS attacks by Anonymous have received no shortage of attention in recent months. And now it appears that Sony, and possibly even its employees, are the latest targets of the so-called "hacktivist group." Here's what we know for sure. Anonymous is being widely blamed for taking aim at a variety of Sony-related sites, like Store.PlayStation.com and PlayStation.com.

Sony.com, in fact, was also a target of the group. Consequently, Sony is said to have employed the hacker-prevention team of Prolexic Technologies to look into the matter and help prevent further attacks against the company, it's websites, and employees. If Anonymous is, indeed, responsible for the attacks, it's likely due to the "unjustified legal proceedings" against George Hotz.

Sony has admitted to Gamespot that they are aware of the possible attacks, although they are not pointing a definitive finger of blame in any particular direction. "We are currently investigating [the network instability], including the possibility of targeted behavior of an outside party," a Sony representative told GameSpot. "If this is indeed caused by such act, we want to once again thank our customers who have borne the brunt of the attack through interrupted service. Our engineers are working to restore and maintain the services, and we appreciate our customers' continued support. "

It should be noted that Anonymous is not taking credit for the recent attacks on Sony.

The good news for PS3 owners is that it appears as if Anonymous will be backing off its hostilities. An update to the loose-knit organization's website claims it would no longer be directing its efforts at bringing down services such as the PlayStation Network.
    "Anonymous is not attacking the PSN at this time," the update states. "Sony's official position is that the PSN is undergoing maintenance. We realize that targeting the PSN is not a good idea. We have therefore temporarily suspended our action, until a method is found that will not severely impact Sony customers."

Source: Gamespot

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

h3nry053 (04-07-2011), hitman10 (04-08-2011), LamboFan (04-07-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone sammo123's Avatar
    Thanks

I think anonymous needs to keep the pressure on so Sony can back off. Hacktivists have a cause and need to take action to bring it to the attention of the public
    RIP Steve Jobs.. You changed the world

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Welcome to a few days ago.

Anywho, these losers did nothing but disrupt gaming for the average gamer. Wish these guys would just get a life and stop causing hassle for the rest of us.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (04-07-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Malicious hackers suck. If I ever meet one in person I'm going to break his fingers.
    Last edited by Jahooba; 04-07-2011 at 12:44 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (04-07-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Spaceman1701's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MLGKorno View Post
    AMEN and ty for saying this.
    Last edited by z3r01; 04-07-2011 at 12:54 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Spaceman1701 For This Useful Post:

mrburns05 (04-07-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Not a good thing to do IMO. This kind of cyber terror is what gives devs such as Geoholtz and others a bad name and taste in large Corp mouths.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MLGKorno View Post
    ]
    You'd better check yourself, before you wreck yourself.

Anyway, you are wrong. This "retaliation" against Sony didn't hurt them one bit, and it will just likely spawn another lawsuit against the hackers who did it. Who do you think will win? A muti-billion $$$ corporation, or a few dudes sitting in their mother's basement behind some proxies and a firewall?
    Last edited by z3r01; 04-07-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Twitter: @tshoults

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    Not a good thing to do IMO. This kind of cyber terror is what gives devs such as Geoholtz and others a bad name and taste in large Corp mouths.
    Hackers have had a bad name before this whole feud with Sony. But I stand with this group and geohot. They are fighting for our rights as a consumer. Imagine if you bought a piece of gum and they told you that you can't chew it. Sony, just like apple, needs to learn that we bought it so we have the right to break it if we want.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to i3urger For This Useful Post:

Banjy (04-08-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i3urger View Post
    Hackers have had a bad name before this whole feud with Sony. But I stand with this group and geohot. They are fighting for our rights as a consumer. Imagine if you bought a piece of gum and they told you that you can't chew it. Sony, just like apple, needs to learn that we bought it so we have the right to break it if we want.
    No, you are mistaken. They are not fighting for your rights as a consumer. They are filling their own selfish desires to hack and cause problems, simply masking their actions with some speech about how they are fighting sony for geo. Not to mention what they are doing is HIGHLY illegal.

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it's freaking sweet!
    my SPOON is too big

Banned
    Thanks

PS Network is garbage anyways, I only use my PS3 as a blu-ray player that's it. If I actually do play online I do so Xbox Live!

So PLEASE feel free to bomb the sh.it out Sony's lame @ss network, no one uses that crap anyways

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iKillYou For This Useful Post:

AkkeDaBest (04-07-2011), Banjy (04-08-2011), Go Gators (04-07-2011), kingbijan (04-07-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Team Infecti0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Sad thing is, even if they do scare Sony by hacking their sites... The gamers themselves get affected as well...
    --------------------------------------Please Donate To Our Team!: http://bit.ly/qjnWXQ-------------------------------
    FILLERFILLERFILLERFILLERFILLERHUGEA
    --------------------------------------Please Donate To Our Team!: http://bit.ly/qjnWXQ-------------------------------

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    No, you are mistaken. They are not fighting for your rights as a consumer. They are filling their own selfish desires to hack and cause problems, simply masking their actions with some speech about how they are fighting sony for geo. Not to mention what they are doing is HIGHLY illegal.
    Dude, they stopped the attacks when they found out that it's just hurting gamers who they are trying to help! They'll find another way to screw over sony without hurting the customers.

I'm up for what these people are trying to do! Why all the hate? Yes, they blocked psn for half an hour (wow, what a long time without games ), though I may be wrong =P
    They at least stopped the attacks now!

I know that Sony is just protecting their investment (they are actually losing money when you buy a ps3 and are relying on game sales to get their revenue), but still, I bet there's a compromise everyone would be happy with! What about letting people jailbreak their ps3s BUT having those ps3s pass large security checks on psn every few days or so, and if are caught using or with malicious software installed like hacks, ban those devices for life!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to WebBugT For This Useful Post:

eZStaR (04-07-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thumbs down Get off your PS3 for a bit, will ya?
    Screw Sony. They deserve what they get. People say what Annonymous is doing is HIGHLY illegal? How about what Sony is doing is HIGHLY illegal? When you buy any device you should be able to do with it as you please. Geo did not do what he did for playing games for free. He was very clear about that. Sony is just pissed that others have used it to play their games for free and they don't want another PSP fiasco. Annonymous is just making a statement and to disrupt you from you online game for a couple of days or hours is not such a big deal. If you can't get off your PS3 for a couple of days then maybe you should re-examine your life and see if you can find something to do in your spare time than play PS3 all day long. Seriously, keep your on Sony big brother and support the little guys here.

Stryker

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stryker1 For This Useful Post:

2006yamahaR6 (04-07-2011), AkkeDaBest (04-07-2011), Banjy (04-08-2011), carlito9505 (04-07-2011), eZStaR (04-07-2011), KingCane (04-07-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

BRAVO!!!! It have to be done to those greedy giant companies that want to suck our blood by inflation..

Green Apple
    Thanks

I dunno about you guys...but I hope the PSN goes offline and stays offline until Geohot's case is thrown out of court.

I hope Anonymous keeps up with the DDoS. I hope they keep up with the interrupted service. If the PSN goes down for...a month...two months...a year...until Geohot's case it thrown out...I won't mind. I can fill the PSN void with:

-Xbox Live
    -Playing games on my iPhone
    -Playing games online
    -hanging out with friends
    -Going to work
    -Driving in my car

Dunno about you guys, but I can do without PSN for a while.

If you only have a PS3...get an Xbox 360 and join the online sensation...

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LivesForJihad For This Useful Post:

Banjy (04-08-2011), bbillh77 (04-07-2011), iKillYou (04-07-2011), kingbijan (04-07-2011)

Thanks

It is amazing how many people here are so blind to the fact that these guys aren't doing **** to sony. PSN makes no money for sony anyway.

It doesn't matter how "right" you guys think these hackers are, they ARE wrong. Any idiot could see that.

Livin the iPhone Life Dark_Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks

I think its great actually. This shows that there are those that will stand up to these big name corporations who get the "i can do what i want" mentality. For those saying that these things shouldnt happen to sony or whatever then maybe you should not be jailbreaking your device because its the same thing. We buy products so we can use them how we see fit, its not my fault some people are smarter than the people who make the devices we purchase. Look at it this way, Apple doesnt like us jailbreaking the i"Stuff" but we do it anyway, and is anyone complaining? No, but people start hacking PS3's and they sue one of the greatest iPhone users we have just to prove a point, is BS and they deserve to get bombed. Then we got people complaining saying Sony shouldnt get punished..I say onward to victory my friends!

http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark_Ninja For This Useful Post:

Banjy (04-08-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    It doesn't matter how "right" you guys think these hackers are, they ARE wrong. Any idiot could see that.
    They are more right than Sony.

Sony is abusing the Constitution of the United States of America...not to mention cramming the system up, and wasting taxpayer money by attacking some kid.

Anonymous is...attacking a company that is abusing the Constitution of the United States of America...

Thanks

Hacking someones servers =/= jailbreaking. Please actually come up with valid arguments before posting things like that. BTW, jailbreaking is legal. Hacking servers, no.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast