+ Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 99 of 99

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Anonymous Reportedly Takes Aim at Sony as Retribution for Geohot

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by DampDesigns Sony has it's reasoning for what it did. Geohot is awesome and has done some pretty amazing stuff but his hack opened up many problems for
...
  1. #81
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,077
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by DampDesigns View Post
    Sony has it's reasoning for what it did. Geohot is awesome and has done some pretty amazing stuff but his hack opened up many problems for Sony and it's product. Pirating is illegal and should never be allowed. Allowing people to play pirated games is wrong and Sony had every right to take action. Not to mention how annoying it is to get on a game and be overwhelmed by cheaters. Opening the ps3 to hacking is one thing but pirating shouldn't be in the equation.
    Pretty sure piracy was never intended for Geohot.

  2. #82
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 32 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    and as he said, he never intended piracy to be in the equation! why do people keep bringing this up?
    Its an issue that has started this whole thing. I don't intend to put it on Geohot but its a big problem. Sony has rights to pursue the source of the problem. It's simple... without the jailbreak this issue wouldnt be here. Don't want to argue with anyone over the issue but don't be mad at Sony for taking care of their product. If someone post a pirated theme on ModMyi the admin has every right to pursue that person. And no one on here would have a problem with that.

  3. #83
    What's Jailbreak? AkkeDaBest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post
    I dunno about you guys...but I hope the PSN goes offline and stays offline until Geohot's case is thrown out of court.

    I hope Anonymous keeps up with the DDoS. I hope they keep up with the interrupted service. If the PSN goes down for...a month...two months...a year...until Geohot's case it thrown out...I won't mind. I can fill the PSN void with:

    -Xbox Live
    -Playing games on my iPhone
    -Playing games online
    -hanging out with friends
    -Going to work
    -Driving in my car

    Dunno about you guys, but I can do without PSN for a while.

    If you only have a PS3...get an Xbox 360 and join the online sensation...
    Agreed, but I'm not really sure about that xbox part, why not just use your PC?
    Much better control over everything you are doing, RTS or FPS - MOUSE AND KEYBOARD FTW!

  4. #84
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I don't agree with sony on this . What geohot did , bought a system and modified it , is no different than buying a car and modifiing it . Now what if the car manufactures came after everone that buys a base model and modifed it to there liking ? Esenually you've cut them out of the loop by moding it yourself. Same as GeoHot .

  5. #85
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    109
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by DampDesigns View Post
    Sony has it's reasoning for what it did. Geohot is awesome and has done some pretty amazing stuff but his hack opened up many problems for Sony and it's product. Pirating is illegal and should never be allowed. Allowing people to play pirated games is wrong and Sony had every right to take action. Not to mention how annoying it is to get on a game and be overwhelmed by cheaters. Opening the ps3 to hacking is one thing but pirating shouldn't be in the equation.
    If this were true, then jailbreaking the iPhone should be illegal as well. After all isn't pirating app store stuff something that can be done once you are jailbroken?

  6. #86
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    109
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

    I wonder why car manufacturers don't go after people or companies who provide(via the internet) tutorials,information and tools to do car E.C.U.(computer) modding. After all these kinds of tools and information allow for removal of rev limiters and governors that prevent you from surpassing 100 mph. Truth be told these are some restrictions that are placed on cars to prevent things. Just the same way the ps3 is locked down to prevent certain things from being done.

    This is the closest thing I can compare this sony lawsuit with. The best means by which I can prove geohot's innocence.

  7. #87
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
    Sony is reportedly being targeted by the infamous hack-attack group known only as Anonymous. The reason? Possible revenge over what the consumer electronics giant is doing to Geohot, the famous hacker who, according to Sony, had the audacity to hack the PS3 and share his findings with the modding community.
    someone didnt do their homework, messany.. "Anonymous" openly said the real reason for attacking Sony was to retaliate for them seizing the thousands of IP addresses and accounts from youtube, paypal, etc. as a breach of users' rights.. not because of that pawn "geohot".. im sure "Anonymous" doesnt give a damn about a small-time hacker like him, and have better reasons for doing so.. check facts plz messany...

    Quote Originally Posted by rayzeur22 View Post
    Many of their customers only buy their devices because they are too stupid to keep us from freeing their shackles of oppression and limitation. If apple and Sony would open up their firmware and software (which will never happen), they would have way more business because people like me like freedom, and not being restricted to a piece of STUFF that has no functionality.
    you obviously have very little experience in penetration testing... it is extremely EXTREMELY hard, if not virtually impossible to cover every exploitation hole that exists in firmware and software.. Apple and Sony are still some of the best technology minds in the business. calling them "stupid" for not being able to plug holes in their firmware really shows true ignorance to technology.. also, if IF they did make their systems open source, they would probably gain a following for it.. however, they would also lose a LOT of customers to it. you want open-source? go buy an android phone.. nobody is stopping you. just don't push the politics on companies who /successfully/ create and maintain a good closed-source (or mixed-source i guess) core OS. I tend to love my PS3 as-is (closed) and would be upset to see it go to open-source. again, dont like it? find an open-source console, or create one! nobody is stopping you from hacking your own device. Sony is suing for the release of these tools.. not the usage...
    Last edited by chstriker11; 04-08-2011 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  8. #88
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Hmmm. This site is called Mod-my-i right? Thought i would have seen more people in support of Geo, since he mods electronics and all.

    What Geo did was illegal (no doubt about it) and Sony does have the right to see that he somehow compensates them for this. However, Geo's intentions were not malicious, and SONY is still devoting their limitless resources to DESTROYING him; in my opinion, this punishment doesnt fit the crime. For their methods, i believe SONY deserves an aggressive kick or two to the nuts. If Anon. changes their methods to doing a few things here-and-there to annoy SONY (only to push back, and in ways that do not affect the consumers) then i can get behind them 100%. I think both parties are going "over the top" and are using terror and fear to get an outcome in their favor. Where's the fair middle ground? Sad that Geo is caught in the crossfire.

  9. #89
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Concrete Jungle NYC
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I say power to the people, we will no longer be suppressed by corporations and their arsenal of lawyers! POWER TO THE PEOPLE! we pay money for a product that makes it ours to do as we please.

  10. #90
    iPhone? More like MyPhone phoenix81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    171
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    It is amazing how many people here are so blind to the fact that these guys aren't doing **** to sony. PSN makes no money for sony anyway.

    It doesn't matter how "right" you guys think these hackers are, they ARE wrong. Any idiot could see that.
    I'm just curious as to what you think an appropriate action against them would be? You can legitimately fight organizations that large. It's the same principle as gorilla warfare, or militia. Sometimes the rules have to change.

    Not saying I am for/against just curious your thoughts.

  11. #91
    Developing Developer moon#pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,215
    Thanks
    781
    Thanked 372 Times in 307 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix81 View Post
    I'm just curious as to what you think an appropriate action against them would be? You can legitimately fight organizations that large. It's the same principle as gorilla warfare, or militia. Sometimes the rules have to change.

    Not saying I am for/against just curious your thoughts.
    It's called a law suit.


    Twitter: @tshoults

  12. #92
    iPhone? More like MyPhone phoenix81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    171
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    It's called a law suit.
    Is that supposed to be an answer?

    I guess what I was getting at is in the political/corporate world there is no right or wrong. Just who has the most money.

  13. #93
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,741
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    It's called a law suit.
    And all Rosa Parks had to do was start a petition, eh?


    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

  14. #94
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    Watch your swear filter dodging.

    Most people don't even care to have their things hacked. If I had a ps3, I wouldn't give a flying shizzle if it were "rooted". Most people who are rooting are doing it for the "free" apps and games. Not because they love playing in the UNIX command line.
    Well I agree, piracy should not be any reason to root/hack. I am strongly against piracy and I even have jailbrpken iOS devices, which none of have cracked apps on. I jailbreak for freedom from apple and the ability to get mods that apple rejects because they know that they are way Better than anything they coul come up with. I just think there should always be an option to run apps from a third party, even if It is frowned upon by the corporations. And I'm sorry if my language offended you.

  15. #95
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dawg11 View Post
    I don't agree with sony on this . What geohot did , bought a system and modified it , is no different than buying a car and modifiing it . Now what if the car manufactures came after everone that buys a base model and modifed it to there liking ? Esenually you've cut them out of the loop by moding it yourself. Same as GeoHot .
    I agree with you. If Sony has a problem with piracy, they need to make their console and games more secure, like Microsoft has done with the 360, and not just go suing someone. Its funny How Sony tries to spin the fact that one guy in his 20s beat an entire security team getting paid tons of money, by making it seem like it's his fault that they can't apply security well.

  16. #96
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by chstriker11 View Post
    someone didnt do their homework, messany.. "Anonymous" openly said the real reason for attacking Sony was to retaliate for them seizing the thousands of IP addresses and accounts from youtube, paypal, etc. as a breach of users' rights.. not because of that pawn "geohot".. im sure "Anonymous" doesnt give a damn about a small-time hacker like him, and have better reasons for doing so.. check facts plz messany...



    you obviously have very little experience in penetration testing... it is extremely EXTREMELY hard, if not virtually impossible to cover every exploitation hole that exists in firmware and software.. Apple and Sony are still some of the best technology minds in the business. calling them "stupid" for not being able to plug holes in their firmware really shows true ignorance to technology.. also, if IF they did make their systems open source, they would probably gain a following for it.. however, they would also lose a LOT of customers to it. you want open-source? go buy an android phone.. nobody is stopping you. just don't push the politics on companies who /successfully/ create and maintain a good closed-source (or mixed-source i guess) core OS. I tend to love my PS3 as-is (closed) and would be upset to see it go to open-source. again, dont like it? find an open-source console, or create one! nobody is stopping you from hacking your own device. Sony is suing for the release of these tools.. not the usage...
    When I said "stupid", I wasn't saying they were incompetent of patching holes, I know that is very hard to do. I was saying they keep trying to stop us from freeing our devices, not with modifications to hardware or software, but through informative tactics. They keep saying that we are more at risk if we do this, it voids our warranty, whatever. I'm not going to hold them responsible if I mod my device, because I decided the break that virtual label. And I know some people like a closed os on their devices, but apple has gone too far. Why do you think android all of a sudden got popular? It was open source so people could do whatever they want. That was even part of their marketing against apple.

  17. #97
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

    You guys should really be careful what you say. Anonymous is far from a group of "dorks in their mom's basement".

    They've already taken down a federally funded Internet security CEO and have even hacked President Obama's personal email.

    Do you really think they're worried about what Sony will do to them?

    Geohot is like a little kid compared to what Anon guys are capable of. They are very terrifying individuals and they can really destroy someone once they take aim.

  18. #98
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Well minutes on psn is money now think about 30min. They lost alot of money but of course they don't admit is hackers cause they dont want people to know what's really going on. Is a cat and mouse game it will always be that. let us do our thing Sony

  19. #99
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,741
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rayzeur22 View Post
    Why do you think android all of a sudden got popular? It was open source so people could do whatever they want. That was even part of their marketing against apple.
    it got popular because they flooded the market (This isn't to say it's a bad OS by any means)


    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

+ Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts