+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anonymous Reportedly Takes Aim at Sony as Retribution for Geohot

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by LivesForJihad You are a stereotyper. Good job...insulting someone's religion. And no, I am not confused, because the term "jail breaking" is being used in the court case.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post
    You are a stereotyper. Good job...insulting someone's religion.

And no, I am not confused, because the term "jail breaking" is being used in the court case. See, the funny thing with law, is that terminology is everything.

And hacking game consoles was never declared illegal either...but jail breaking WAS declared legal. Sony is using the term jail breaking, so based on terminology...they are filing a lawsuit for something that is legal.

As such...Sony is in the wrong, legally speaking. Common sense as a consumer also tells me they are wrong because it is a massive company bullying a single consumer.

I think...YOU are confused...and YOU are uneducated in the content matter.

In the broadest sense, jail breaking simply allows the use of unsigned code. As with any modification to any retail electronics consumer device, running unsigned code can be TERMED jail breaking, simply based on the definition set out by congress. At the least, the term jail breaking is a comfortable euphemism for "hacking your device"...although the term is more widely adopted by the iPhone community. Strictly based on definition, it can be applied to any electronic device that has been altered to run unsigned code.

so...Geohot is being sued for jailbreaking a PS3...

Jalbreaking is legal...

Sony is Wrong...

Anonymous is making Sony pay the piper.

You are wrong Mr. Undercover Moderator...
    Really? Last I checked, Jihad was a terrorist group, not some religion. I also gave you the benefit of the doubt by saying unless you meant the actual meaning of the word, which is "Struggle".

No, now you are changing your words. "Jail breaking" is not "jailbreaking". If courts want to use it, fine. But there is a difference between the two. "Rooting" is the technical term for doing this to any electronic device. Jailbreaking is specifically for Apple devices, at least it was until people started using it in other ways. Anyway, he is being sued not for "jailbreaking", but distributing proprietary code. Get your facts right. Your argument is all of the place. Sony has every single right in the world to sue him and win if he used their code. He broke laws. The hackers who are screwing with sony's servers broke laws. Sony is the only one is this (unless geo is found innocent) who hasn't broken laws.

AND, very few people who root their PS3's are doing it to satisfy their need to run homebrew linux on it. They are doing it to play any game they want for free. That is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Syn View Post
    He/she does that quite often. Just ignore them, sometimes narrow minded people refuse to cross into reality.

On that note...I agree with you 100%. And if you really think about it, jailbreaking an idevice allows you to pirate apps as well. So issues involved with hacking the ps3 aren't different than jailbreaking an idevice.

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    And for you, you will get no comment other than one telling you that you deserve no reply.
    Last edited by moon#pie; 04-07-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Twitter: @tshoults

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Note to most of the people here:
    Sony are not suing George Hotz because he jailbroke PS3 and told others how to do it.
    He is being sued because he copied and distributed something that did not belong to him....oh whats that called....oh ya...piracy. The very thing he claims to be against.
    No one, except Sony, owns any part of the Playstation 3 Firmware.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 04-07-2011 at 03:41 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (04-07-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Note to most the people here:
    Sony are not suing George Hotz because he jailbroke PS3 and told others how to do it.
    He is being sued because he copied and distributed something that did not belong to him....oh whats that called....oh ya...piracy. The very thing he claims to be against.
    No one, except Sony, owns any part of the Playstation 3 Firmware.
    Welcome to the club! We have jackets, free cookies, crackers, and cheese!

That makes 3 of us who understand this; even though it has been stated 1,000,000,000,000 times.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

feidhlim1986 (04-07-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Break a hackers fingers and you can kiss your wonderful hacks and jailbreaks good bye.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viperstarpoint9 View Post
    Break a hackers fingers and you can kiss your wonderful hacks and jailbreaks good bye.
    Technically, they are not hackers. Denial of service attacks can be easily preformed. they are just illegal.

Thanks

Hey I posted this on the chit chat section yesterday morning maybe I should be a writer for MMI...

Lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigliquid530 View Post
    Hey I posted this on the chit chat section yesterday morning maybe I should be I should be a writer for MMI...

Lol
    Member Written iPhone News

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    No, you are mistaken. They are not fighting for your rights as a consumer. They are filling their own selfish desires to hack and cause problems, simply masking their actions with some speech about how they are fighting sony for geo. Not to mention what they are doing is HIGHLY illegal.
    I'm pretty sure Sony regulating a product they no longer own once a consumer buys it is illegal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rayzeur22 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Sony regulating a product they no longer own once a consumer buys it is illegal.
    No, it's not. You "sign" an agreement when you use it. It's with that bunch of papers that nobody every reads.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Sony can do whatever they want with THEIR software, you're not obligated to upgrade your hardware with THEIR software

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stryker1 View Post
    screw sony. They deserve what they get. People say what annonymous is doing is highly illegal? How about what sony is doing is highly illegal? When you buy any device you should be able to do with it as you please. Geo did not do what he did for playing games for free. He was very clear about that. Sony is just pissed that others have used it to play their games for free and they don't want another psp fiasco. Annonymous is just making a statement and to disrupt you from you online game for a couple of days or hours is not such a big deal. If you can't get off your ps3 for a couple of days then maybe you should re-examine your life and see if you can find something to do in your spare time than play ps3 all day long. Seriously, keep your on sony big brother and support the little guys here.

Stryker
    a--f&ck!n--men!

Green Apple
    Thanks

No, it's not. You "sign" an agreement when you use it. It's with that bunch of papers that nobody every reads.
    So your standing up to this anti-consumer business? And even so, once I buy a product, I should be able to do whatever I want to it. If there comes a day where jailbreaking becomes illegal, I won't give a f/u/ck what they tell me to do. I'll do whatever the f/u/ck I want, thank you, Mr. Jobs.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

So your standing up to this anti-consumer business? And even so, once I buy a product, I should be able to do whatever I want to it. If there comes a day where jailbreaking becomes illegal, I won't give a f/u/ck what they tell me to do. I'll do whatever the f/u/ck I want, thank you, Mr. Jobs.
    Again, the case is about him releasing proprietary code, not about him hacking his ps3. Sigh...

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sony can do whatever they want with THEIR software, you're not obligated to upgrade your hardware with THEIR software
    You are obligated to use the software once the "Other OS" feature is removed. And the only way to get that back is to modify the existing stock software.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

From what I read Sony is just "RENTING" those domains, LMFAO!

Stand for something, or fall for everything! If u ain't with us, ur against us. Choose freedom or be enslaved forever. Corporate c#%ks+=kers be forewarned, once u sell something IT IS NO LONGER YOURS! Void warranty, that's your prerogative & your right but stay out of MY BUSINESS! Keep sticking your tiny d%#ks in the bees nest but don't complain when u get stung! BZZZZZZZZ, BZZZZZZZZZZ, 1, 2, Freddies coming for you! 

Thanks

Why do people bother defending Sony?
    Sony make viruses that slow down peoples computers and open up back doors, now tell me what part of that is legal?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Really? Last I checked, Jihad was a terrorist group, not some religion. I also gave you the benefit of the doubt by saying unless you meant the actual meaning of the word, which is "Struggle".

No, now you are changing your words. "Jail breaking" is not "jailbreaking". If courts want to use it, fine. But there is a difference between the two. "Rooting" is the technical term for doing this to any electronic device. Jailbreaking is specifically for Apple devices, at least it was until people started using it in other ways. Anyway, he is being sued not for "jailbreaking", but distributing proprietary code. Get your facts right. Your argument is all of the place. Sony has every single right in the world to sue him and win if he used their code. He broke laws. The hackers who are screwing with sony's servers broke laws. Sony is the only one is this (unless geo is found innocent) who hasn't broken laws.

AND, very few people who root their PS3's are doing it to satisfy their need to run homebrew linux on it. They are doing it to play any game they want for free. That is the problem.
    Jihad is not a terrorist group you ignoramus. It is a personal struggle with oneself.

1. if I say Jail breaking and jailbreaking to anyone in the iPhone community...the point is understood and the definition is understood. The space is redundant and meaningless...but I will (for your sake) use jailbreaking and not put the space.

2. iPhone jailbreaking leads to piracy as well. Can anyone say ********** 4? Not to say that I use **********, as I am a software developer myself and my own moral prejudices against piracy are mine alone to know.

3. Chances are...YOU have a jailbroken iDevice and directly benefiting from the work of Geohot, or others like him. Can anyone say hypocrite?

4. You are on a web forum that propagates tutorials and support for jailbreaking...yet speak out against the methods employed by jailbreakers.

Do you have ANY idea how stupid and ignorant you sound (look)?

If you support Sony...than you are NO LONGER allowed to own any jailbroken iDevice (less you look like a total hypocrite), or use any console modification released from now to kingdom come. Enjoy your stock devices buddy. Sony stands for the concept of oppressing our right to do what we wish with things we buy! If we buy a car outright (say a Toyota)...does Toyota have the right to tell us what we can, and cannot do, with that car? No they don't. One you buy it, it belongs to you. The legal exchange of goods has been processed and stands for all time.

As far as I am concerned, you are an enemy of Geohot and everything he stands for, because you certainly are not helping him.

As for Anonymous...I hope your the next person they target.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post
    Jihad is not a terrorist group you ignoramus. It is a personal struggle with oneself.

1. if I say Jail breaking and jailbreaking to anyone in the iPhone community...the point is understood and the definition is understood. The space is redundant and meaningless...but I will (for your sake) use jailbreaking and not put the space.

2. iPhone jailbreaking leads to piracy as well. Can anyone say ********** 4? Not to say that I use **********, as I am a software developer myself and my own moral prejudices against piracy are mine alone to know.

3. Chances are...YOU have a jailbroken iDevice and directly benefiting from the work of Geohot, or others like him. Can anyone say hypocrite?

4. You are on a web forum that propagates tutorials and support for jailbreaking...yet speak out against the methods employed by jailbreakers.

Do you have ANY idea how stupid and ignorant you sound (look)?

If you support Sony...than you are NO LONGER allowed to own any jailbroken iDevice (less you look like a total hypocrite), or use any console modification released from now to kingdom come. Enjoy your stock devices buddy. Sony stands for the concept of oppressing our right to do what we wish with things we buy! If we buy a car outright (say a Toyota)...does Toyota have the right to tell us what we can, and cannot do, with that car? No they don't. One you buy it, it belongs to you. The legal exchange of goods has been processed and stands for all time.

As far as I am concerned, you are an enemy of Geohot and everything he stands for, because you certainly are not helping him.

As for Anonymous...I hope your the next person they target.
    Talk about a big steaming pile of fail!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Don't agree with Sony and DEFINITELY do not agree with the Anonymous. IMO they just watched too much Death Note and want to cause trouble... Their reasons are 100% legit and I back it up... but their methods are not what I think the best way to go about...

Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    Honestly why bring religion into this...? Don't be an ignorant ***... Understand the meaning of the name then talk about it or don't comment on it like you know what it means... PS last I checked there is NO terrorist group called Jihad... care to link me to such info...? How pathetic are people these days...
    Last edited by piston597; 04-07-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Welcome to a few days ago.

Anywho, these losers did nothing but disrupt gaming for the average gamer. Wish these guys would just get a life and stop causing hassle for the rest of us.
    Hahaha yep, this started about 2 days ago! But you must understand that people wan revenge on Sony, after all it's the ps3 enthusiasts that spend their time modifying their ps3 that tell everyone else "the ps3 is the greatest thing ever, get one!"
    I for one am still on my jailbroken 3.55 ps3 and I'm getting ready to buy an xBox just because sony has driven me off with their terrible business practices!