+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anonymous Reportedly Takes Aim at Sony as Retribution for Geohot

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
As long as my gaming is not affected I'm fine. I just hope they find some kind of middle ground where we can install homebrew and at the same time
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

As long as my gaming is not affected I'm fine. I just hope they find some kind of middle ground where we can install homebrew and at the same time pirates and cheaters get banned or something. Or maybe it's time I dust my 360 and get a few games out of it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post
    I dunno about you guys...but I hope the PSN goes offline and stays offline until Geohot's case is thrown out of court.

I hope Anonymous keeps up with the DDoS. I hope they keep up with the interrupted service. If the PSN goes down for...a month...two months...a year...until Geohot's case it thrown out...I won't mind. I can fill the PSN void with:

-Xbox Live
    -Playing games on my iPhone
    -Playing games online
    -hanging out with friends
    -Going to work
    -Driving in my car

Dunno about you guys, but I can do without PSN for a while.

If you only have a PS3...get an Xbox 360 and join the online sensation...
    +5

3. The Following User Says Thank You to soti2009 For This Useful Post:

carlito9505 (04-07-2011)

Thanks

I've never been a fan of Sony.

Sony does lose money when dealing with service outages. You think Network and Server Engineers work for free?

Actions such as these make the general public associate legal jailbreaking with illegal hacking. It is extremely counter-productive to do this.

They'll cost Sony a tiny amount of money, annoy fellow gamers but, the worst thing is that now Sony's legal team will be able to spin it to make it seem that geohotz is somehow affiliated with a group of people who have no problem breaking various laws.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    Hacking someones servers =/= jailbreaking. Please actually come up with valid arguments before posting things like that. BTW, jailbreaking is legal. Hacking servers, no.
    If jailbreaking is legal...why is Geohot being sued?

Correct me if I am wrong, but the entire point of that court case is because Geohot "hacked/jailbroke" a PS3.

Right...so...Sony is suing someone because of legal activity? Sony is getting away it as well! Sony is getting away with suing someone for legal actions. If anything, the concept of legality no longer applies. If something that is legal can be made into a criminal offense, than why can't something illegal be turned into a noble action?

Anonymous is simply leveling the playing field.

But see, this is besides the point.

You claim that Anonymous are the "bad guys" here. They are the lesser of two evils here IMO. Sure, hacking Sony's websites is not a nice thing to do...but if Sony doesn't have to play by the rules...why should Anonymous?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LivesForJihad For This Useful Post:

carlito9505 (04-07-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker1 View Post
    Screw Sony. They deserve what they get. People say what Annonymous is doing is HIGHLY illegal? How about what Sony is doing is HIGHLY illegal? When you buy any device you should be able to do with it as you please. Geo did not do what he did for playing games for free. He was very clear about that. Sony is just pissed that others have used it to play their games for free and they don't want another PSP fiasco. Annonymous is just making a statement and to disrupt you from you online game for a couple of days or hours is not such a big deal. If you can't get off your PS3 for a couple of days then maybe you should re-examine your life and see if you can find something to do in your spare time than play PS3 all day long. Seriously, keep your on Sony big brother and support the little guys here.

Stryker
    Definitely could not have said it better!

"If jailbreaking is legal...why is Geohot being sued?"
    Jailbreaking a iphone is 100% legal!
    Playstations are still considered to be in the 'gray zone'

Thanks

Correct me if I am wrong, but the entire point of that court case is because Geohot "hacked/jailbroke" a PS3.

Right...so...Sony is suing someone because of legal activity? Sony is getting away it as well! Sony is getting away with suing someone for legal actions. If anything, the concept of legality no longer applies. If something that is legal can be made into a criminal offense, than why can't something illegal be turned into a noble action?

You claim that Anonymous are the "bad guys" here. They are the lesser of two evils here IMO. Sure, hacking Sony's websites is not a nice thing to do...but if Sony doesn't have to play by the rules...why should Anonymous?
    geohotz is not being sued for jailbreaking. He is being sued for distributing copyrighted information (the masterkey or whatever) for the PS3 that allows people to pirate games.

Not the same as jailbreaking.

I don't agree with what Sony is doing, because geohotz provided a tool that was not designed for pirated games. Whoever played pirated games did so by their own choice.

BTW, if people want to get stuff done, DDoS'ing a site isn't the best way. People used to say the same things about Microsoft until they got ***** slapped with antitrust suits.

Thanks

You are confused. The term "jailbreaking" actually applies to Apple's devices and a few other's, not sony or Microsoft consoles. Anyway, hacking gaming consoles was NEVER declared legal, as jailbreaking iOS devices among a few other things was. As I said, please make educated comments rather than just trying to shotgun me with a ton of comments hoping one is valid.

A person who's name is "LivesforJihad" is talking about a lesser of two evils? funniest thing I've seen all day. Unless of course you mean the literal translation.
    Last edited by moon#pie; 04-07-2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Twitter: @tshoults

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I hope they keep hacking the PSN servers as well. Whatever it takes to get a flood of customer service complaints to Sony even if it only results in flustering them and doesn't actually make them drop the case. If nothing it will at least show that Sony is vulnerable and they'll look even more ridiculous than they already do.

Plus I'll get to laugh at my buddy who keeps bragging about how PSN is so much better than Xbox Live because it's free.

All in all we know this won't do much to Sony but whatever opportunities we have to twist the knife are always welcome in my opinion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker1 View Post
    Screw Sony. They deserve what they get. People say what Annonymous is doing is HIGHLY illegal? How about what Sony is doing is HIGHLY illegal? When you buy any device you should be able to do with it as you please. Geo did not do what he did for playing games for free. He was very clear about that. Sony is just pissed that others have used it to play their games for free and they don't want another PSP fiasco. Annonymous is just making a statement and to disrupt you from you online game for a couple of days or hours is not such a big deal. If you can't get off your PS3 for a couple of days then maybe you should re-examine your life and see if you can find something to do in your spare time than play PS3 all day long. Seriously, keep your on Sony big brother and support the little guys here.

Stryker
    What are you talking about?

DDoS? Yes, illegal.
    Suing someone? Might be morally wrong, but anyone can sue anyone.

If the Sony executives went to geohotz's house and beat the **** out of him, I'd be illegal.

Suing is the legal way of beating the **** out of someone.

I believe you should be able to do what you want to anything you buy, but Anon is hurting Geohotz's case by doing this.

FYI, some people work, so they have very little time to use their consoles. I'd be pissed if the 1 time I could play video games for a week I couldn't log in because people think DDoS will make Sony drop a lawsuit.

iPhone? More like MyPhone fbiryujin's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
    ..."unjustified legal proceedings" against George Hotz....
    Why is "unjustified legal proceedings" in quotes? There should be no question about it. They are as unjustified as licensing a civil right.
    -FBIRyuJin

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Malicious hackers suck. If I ever meet one in person I'm going to break his fingers.
    I wouldn't classify"Anonymous" as a group of malicious hackers. Wile they may have a few malicious members, the group as a whole is actually pretty good and is very in support of free speech, so much so that they chose not to go after the wstboro baptis church. Take a look at the list of things they have been involved in, they are all movements that are fighting for freedom in one way or another... These guys aren't hacking banking systems in order to steal money or anything.

By the way, you've probably already met a few of them in person. That whole anonymous thing kind of explains how your dream of breaking their fingers most likely won't come to fruition.

Thanks

Video games are to expensive first of all and corporations like sony and others have more rights then a we do in alot cases corporations get away with all kinds of crimes.

Green Apple
    Thanks

A person who's name is "LivesforJihad" is talking about a lesser of two evils? funniest thing I've seen all day. Unless of course you mean the literal translation.
    You are a stereotyper. Good job...insulting someone's religion.

And no, I am not confused, because the term "jail breaking" is being used in the court case. See, the funny thing with law, is that terminology is everything.

And hacking game consoles was never declared illegal either...but jail breaking WAS declared legal. Sony is using the term jail breaking, so based on terminology...they are filing a lawsuit for something that is legal.

As such...Sony is in the wrong, legally speaking. Common sense as a consumer also tells me they are wrong because it is a massive company bullying a single consumer.

I think...YOU are confused...and YOU are uneducated in the content matter.

In the broadest sense, jail breaking simply allows the use of unsigned code. As with any modification to any retail electronics consumer device, running unsigned code can be TERMED jail breaking, simply based on the definition set out by congress. At the least, the term jail breaking is a comfortable euphemism for "hacking your device"...although the term is more widely adopted by the iPhone community. Strictly based on definition, it can be applied to any electronic device that has been altered to run unsigned code.

so...Geohot is being sued for jailbreaking a PS3...

Jalbreaking is legal...

Sony is Wrong...

Anonymous is making Sony pay the piper.

You are wrong Mr. Undercover Moderator...

Banned
    Thanks

Whenever someone rights about Anon they do it in a stupid manner (Faux News, Essany, etc) Please do your goddamn research before you talk about Anon. I'm not bother explaining who they are because if you don't know that then you shouldn't be talking about them

/rage

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Anonymous are retaliating to a completely legal situation (Sony suing Georgy Boy) with an internationally illegal activity DDOS that only strengthens Sony's argument and the public's perception of "hackers"......yeah they're great alright.

They're all for free speech and freedom of information....sure....that's why they hide behind their keyboards watching V for Vendetta too many times.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post

Sony is reportedly being targeted by the infamous hack-attack group known only as Anonymous. The reason? Possible revenge over what the consumer electronics giant is doing to Geohot, the famous hacker who, according to Sony, had the audacity to hack the PS3 and share his findings with the modding community.

DDoS attacks by Anonymous have received no shortage of attention in recent months. And now it appears that Sony, and possibly even its employees, are the latest targets of the so-called "hacktivist group." Here's what we know for sure. Anonymous is being widely blamed for taking aim at a variety of Sony-related sites, like Store.PlayStation.com and PlayStation.com.

Sony.com, in fact, was also a target of the group. Consequently, Sony is said to have employed the hacker-prevention team of Prolexic Technologies to look into the matter and help prevent further attacks against the company, it's websites, and employees. If Anonymous is, indeed, responsible for the attacks, it's likely due to the "unjustified legal proceedings" against George Hotz.

Sony has admitted to Gamespot that they are aware of the possible attacks, although they are not pointing a definitive finger of blame in any particular direction. "We are currently investigating [the network instability], including the possibility of targeted behavior of an outside party," a Sony representative told GameSpot. "If this is indeed caused by such act, we want to once again thank our customers who have borne the brunt of the attack through interrupted service. Our engineers are working to restore and maintain the services, and we appreciate our customers' continued support. "

It should be noted that Anonymous is not taking credit for the recent attacks on Sony.

"Anonymous is not attacking the PSN at this time," the update states. "Sony's official position is that the PSN is undergoing maintenance. We realize that targeting the PSN is not a good idea. We have therefore temporarily suspended our action, until a method is found that will not severely impact Sony customers."

Source: Gamespot
    I like knowing that someone has his back... Sony is making an example of someone and I taking it a but far, in my opinion.

Banned
    Thanks

It is amazing how many people here are so blind to the fact that these guys aren't doing **** to sony. PSN makes no money for sony anyway.

It doesn't matter how "right" you guys think these hackers are, they ARE wrong. Any idiot could see that.
    Are you stupid? Well obviously you are but I had to ask. Like seriously you think that Sony doesn't get any kinda kick back from the PSN at all???

iPhone? More like MyPhone James360Petty's Avatar
    Thanks

Blatantly hacking sites is not what GeoHot and this community is about..... if it was jailbreaking would be easy cause they'd just release Apple code, and that's the reason why were set apart..... we only do legal!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Lol. At the comments.

You guys are funny

Thanks

You are a stereotyper. Good job...insulting someone's religion.

And no, I am not confused, because the term "jail breaking" is being used in the court case. See, the funny thing with law, is that terminology is everything.

And hacking game consoles was never declared illegal either...but jail breaking WAS declared legal. Sony is using the term jail breaking, so based on terminology...they are filing a lawsuit for something that is legal.

As such...Sony is in the wrong, legally speaking. Common sense as a consumer also tells me they are wrong because it is a massive company bullying a single consumer.

I think...YOU are confused...and YOU are uneducated in the content matter.

In the broadest sense, jail breaking simply allows the use of unsigned code. As with any modification to any retail electronics consumer device, running unsigned code can be TERMED jail breaking, simply based on the definition set out by congress. At the least, the term jail breaking is a comfortable euphemism for "hacking your device"...although the term is more widely adopted by the iPhone community. Strictly based on definition, it can be applied to any electronic device that has been altered to run unsigned code.

so...Geohot is being sued for jailbreaking a PS3...

Jalbreaking is legal...

Sony is Wrong...

Anonymous is making Sony pay the piper.

You are wrong Mr. Undercover Moderator...

He/she does that quite often. Just ignore them, sometimes narrow minded people refuse to cross into reality.

On that note...I agree with you 100%. And if you really think about it, jailbreaking an idevice allows you to pirate apps as well. So issues involved with hacking the ps3 aren't different than jailbreaking an idevice.

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi