+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Rumored to Purchase 12 Petabytes of Storage for iTunes

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by johnzo~ I learned a new word today. Petabyte. Me too!
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnzo~ View Post
    I learned a new word today. Petabyte.
    Me too!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    It's obvious you have no clue what you're talking about. At 12 petabytes, if you figure 1 million users (which is ridiculously small for Apple) then each user would only be allocated 12 gigabytes. Though when you take into account redundancy and overhead you're looking at a smaller 1-3 gigabytes for each user. Given that Apple has 10's of millions of iOS users out there this is nowhere near enough storage. With 10 million users that 1-3 gigabytes per user shrinks to 100-300 megabytes. Clearly Apple is going to need a whole lot more than 12 petabytes if they hope to create a storage locker for music, video, and pictures.
    Yeah, no way is this Apples cloud based storage solution for itunes users. I got 1TB of itunes stuff myself lol. Granted, the avg user probably doesn't, but I think they still have more than 1-3 gigabytes...

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnzo~ View Post
    I learned a new word today. Petabyte.
    That's what I'm saying, lol

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imilad View Post
    WAY OFF TOPIC:.... .What happened to the good ole MODMYI days... Recently it seems like all the post I read now is something that I previously read on macrumors, 9to5mac or bgr.

WHERE IS CASH!!??!!

"MOD"myi: give more hacking news! ! PLEASE!!!!!!!

OTHER THAN THAT I LOVE THIS SITE AND HAVE BEEN SINCE 2007
    MMi is a site to read about Apple, rumors included. A lot of ppl enjoy reading about this kind of stuff, granted the majority of it never comes true but every once in awhile one or two do. It's just fun reading, and you have the right to read it or not if you don't like it

The first thing I thought of when I saw the title was storage for iCloud! I guess it could go either way!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I can't wait until my new 2 petabyte SSD shows up for my MacBook Pro. I won't have to carry around my external hard drive anymore. Sweet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Make our way through the smoke and crowd
    The club is the sky and I'm on your cloud.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    I wouldn't get too excited in terms of thinking tons of content will be stored on 12PB.
    When you take the same files stored multiple times, data backup and redundancy into account, it's more realistic to look at it as more like 1 or 2 PB of media stored across the 12PB
    Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    It's obvious you have no clue what you're talking about. At 12 petabytes, if you figure 1 million users (which is ridiculously small for Apple) then each user would only be allocated 12 gigabytes. Though when you take into account redundancy and overhead you're looking at a smaller 1-3 gigabytes for each user. Given that Apple has 10's of millions of iOS users out there this is nowhere near enough storage. With 10 million users that 1-3 gigabytes per user shrinks to 100-300 megabytes. Clearly Apple is going to need a whole lot more than 12 petabytes if they hope to create a storage locker for music, video, and pictures.
    I'm sure they won't need quite as much redundancy as you're thinking. If 8 million users all have the same Ke$ha song in their cloud "locker". They won't need 8 million copies of that song. They'll only need a few (I have no clue exactly how many, but the point is illustrated). There's going to be so much cross-over, that they could likely get even more than 12 effective petebytes. Think about it. An album that's 100mb could be "stored" by 10 million people and still not take up more than 100mb. I realize they would still need multiple copies, but not 10 million copies.

P.S. - I'm pretty sure that Dropbox already does this. I uploaded a file one time (I can't remember what it was, but it was large, and it was a common file. i.e. - something that other users would have already had in their Drobboxes), and while it should have taken 10-15 minutes to upload, I noticed that Dropbox already said that it was all synced up. I logged into the website and sure enough, my file was already there and accessible. Why would Dropbox waste the bandwidth and drive space to store another copy of a file that they already have? They can check file sizes or whatever to make sure that the file is indeed identical and not just the same file name.
    Last edited by stevelucky; 04-06-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
    I'm sure they won't need quite as much redundancy as you're thinking. If 8 million users all have the same Ke$ha song in their cloud "locker". They won't need 8 million copies of that song. They'll only need a few (I have no clue exactly how many, but the point is illustrated). There's going to be so much cross-over, that they could likely get even more than 12 effective petebytes. Think about it. An album that's 100mb could be "stored" by 10 million people and still not take up more than 100mb. I realize they would still need multiple copies, but not 10 million copies.
    I think this is a very valid point

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Petabyte. Sounds like a tasty appetizer.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    Make our way through the smoke and crowd
    The club is the sky and I'm on your cloud.
    Skip this place go back to yours
    Our lips first touch outside your doors

Anyway back on topic here um theres roughly 1,000,000 GB in 1 PB right?

iPhone? More like MyPhone back2thebeatof84's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Megaorange View Post
    and
    1024 Petabytes = 1 Exabyte
    1024 Exabytes = 1 Zettabyte
    1024 Zettabyte = 1 Yottabyte
    I honestly hope I'll be able to understand 1 Yottabyte in my lifetime. I'm only 20.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
    it's obviously you don't know how big a petabyte is then
    I think he meant in regards to how many iTunes users are. 12,000 TB is nothing. I personally have 1TB of video storage mostly in 480p. If apple offered HD video storage to the masses, 12 petabytes would be gone in less than a day.

Thanks

I thought this quote from wikipedia was interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    As of 2011, no storage system has achieved one zettabyte of information. The combined space of all computer hard drives in the world does not amount to even one yottabyte, but was estimated at approximately 160 exabytes in 2006.[1] As of 2009, the entire Internet was estimated to contain close to 500 exabytes.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    lmao me 3.
    Me 4

iPhone? More like MyPhone imilad's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    MMi is a site to read about Apple, rumors included. A lot of ppl enjoy reading about this kind of stuff, granted the majority of it never comes true but every once in awhile one or two do. It's just fun reading, and you have the right to read it or not if you don't like it

The first thing I thought of when I saw the title was storage for iCloud! I guess it could go either way!

Don't get me wrong,,, I love this site, and I also enjoy these rumors or what have you... irt part of my daily routine to log on atleast twice if not more, just sayin that I miss the modmyiphone.com days when jailbreaking was HOT and allot more "active" than it is now.

I think Gizmodo, macrumors are doing a great job on Apple headlines, I always liked this site more because it was indepth with jailbreaking and headlines you would not find on other sites..

It has kind of shifted from modding to the same stories you find on the main apple news sites

Just my thoughts...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Petabyte????nice!!!!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imilad View Post
    Don't get me wrong,,, I love this site, and I also enjoy these rumors or what have you... irt part of my daily routine to log on atleast twice if not more, just sayin that I miss the modmyiphone.com days when jailbreaking was HOT and allot more "active" than it is now.

I think Gizmodo, macrumors are doing a great job on Apple headlines, I always liked this site more because it was indepth with jailbreaking and headlines you would not find on other sites..

It has kind of shifted from modding to the same stories you find on the main apple news sites

Just my thoughts...
    Well I definitely agree with you on that my friend! It's a lot better when the site is active with JB and the old days were filled with it! Now it seems it only gets like that when a new OS or iPhone comes out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by back2thebeatof84 View Post
    I honestly hope I'll be able to understand 1 Yottabyte in my lifetime. I'm only 20.
    If I have a Yottabyte do I also possess the power of the Force!

...cuz I REALLY want a lightsaber

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
    I'm sure they won't need quite as much redundancy as you're thinking.
    I wasn't thinking about using the storage for the fabled iTunes Cloud malarky that I don't ever see happening.
    More like using the storage for 1080p movie and TV downloading and streaming. You would certainly need many multiples of files, especially new movies that are definitely going to be accessed simultaneously by hundreds or thousands of users.
    I see the storage being used for the ever growing App Store(s), iTunes Store, iBooks over an iCloud

Thanks

Wow...now that's a lot of storage! Wonder what it is really going to be used for? We shall see....