Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will 2011 MacBook Airs Get Sandy Bridge CPUs?

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Will 2011 MacBook Airs Get Sandy Bridge CPUs?

Intel's announcement of a new generation of ultra low voltage CPUs is prompting speculation that Apple may bring Sandy Bridge-based MacBook Airs this year. In addition to a currently-available Core i5 with a clockrate of 1.4 GHz and turbo boost speeds of up to 2.3 GHz, Intel has Core i7 chips coming in the next few months that can turbo up to 2.7 GHz with a thermal power envelope of only 17 watts.

One of the main complaints about the ultralight Late 2010 MacBook Air has been its anemic Core 2 Duo processor. The reason for that, of course, is power consumption: the stock 1.4 GHz chip sips just 10 W at its maximum TDP (thermal design point), and the optional 2.13 GHz SL9600 tops out at just 17 W. The sleek new design precluded fitting anything larger than the 50-watt-hour battery in the 13" model, so the Core 2 Duos were the only choice. Now, however, Intel has a whole range of Sandy Bridge chips that fit within the 17 W envelope, finally offering the promise of an ultraportable notebook capable of doing real work.

The top of the line will be the 1.6 GHz Core i7 2657M, which will replace the 1.46 GHz Core i7 680UM that's the current ultra low voltage speed leader. The Sandy Bridge based 2657M can turbo boost up to an impressive 2.7GHz in single core mode, and its two cores are capable of running four separate threads in unbolted mode. With 4MB of cache memory, Intel HD 3000 graphics and a front-side bus clocked at 1333 MHz, this chip delivers professional notebook-level performance while staying within the 17 W envelope of the current MacBook Air.

Will Apple include this chip in a future MacBook Air? The pundits at France's MacBidouille certainly think so, and it's not that big a stretch to believe it. The second-generation Air has been a huge seller, with people snapping up 420,000 of the slim laptops in the fourth quarter of 2010, accounting for 10 percent of all Macs sold and 15 percent of all notebooks. A real power user option would just broaden the appeal.

Source: Cult of Mac
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 04-06-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm picking up one of these instead of an iPad in the summer if I get good exam results, I hope I do -_-

I don't know whether to wait and pay full price in October or get old one in August on student discount with iPod Touch :/

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    I'm picking up one of these instead of an iPad in the summer if I get good exam results, I hope I do -_-

I don't know whether to wait and pay full price in October or get old one in August on student discount with iPod Touch :/
    Stay focused when it comes to ur exams and enjoy ur apple trophy whichever product u choose.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mikerlx For This Useful Post:

MetallicaFan1991 (04-06-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    Stay focused when it comes to ur exams and enjoy ur apple trophy whichever product u choose.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Agree

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsIg74 For This Useful Post:

MetallicaFan1991 (04-06-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

BTW I was the first commenter...
    BTW nobody cares if you were first, third or 100th.
    Last edited by Cer0; 04-06-2011 at 09:43 PM.

That would be absolutely wonderful... I really hope they get these!

Congratz man!

That would be absolutely wonderful... I really hope they get these!

WOWeee

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    BTW nobody cares if you were first, third or 100th.
    I care. You are the sun in my sky, the apple on my laptop and the virus in my pc. Keep up the good work.

Btw thank god I didn't get an air. I trying to hold out as long as possible for a sandybridge macmini or air.

is this even a question?

If they don't ome out with something better then, which hey will, no freaking duh!!!!

While a faster processor will certainly be nice, what I want is a 3G/4G subscription option similar to the ipad built-in to the Air.

iPhone? More like MyPhone imilad's Avatar
    Thanks

WAY OFF TOPIC:.... .What happened to the good ole MODMYI days... Recently it seems like all the post I read now is something that I previously read on macrumors, 9to5mac or bgr.

WHERE IS CASH!!??!!

"MOD"myi: give more hacking news! ! PLEASE!!!!!!!

OTHER THAN THAT I LOVE THIS SITE AND HAVE BEEN SINCE 2007

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

meh, can I haz quad-core MBA?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds good, but I'll stick with the heavier stuff

time to sell the 2010 air already?

Im far more interested to know if they will grow a brain and get tablet type fold-over touch screens! Then I will actually buy one.
    mod edit/links removed

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

my 13" 2.13 core 2 is plenty fast. don't buy the hype about these faster CPU's make your system perform so much better. its all crap. browse the web, read an email, watch a movie.... the 2.13 is plenty. no one is using a mac book air to render 10 GB photo shop files....