+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Weighting to Change in Nasdaq Rebalancing

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple's Weighting to Change in Nasdaq Rebalancing

Next month, the NASDAQ stock exchange will rebalance its benchmark NASDAQ 100. In the process, the exchange will effectively slash Apple Inc's weighting and likely spark no shortage of volatility as traders and investors navigate the upheavals and readjust their stock portfolios.

Wall Street analysts who have publicly commented on the matter today are correct in saying that the rebalancing of the NASDAQ 100 "is not an unusual event in itself." But plans to cut Apple's portion of the NASDAQ-100 index from 20% all the way 12% is indeed noteworthy, as the weighting of Google and Microsoft will climb as a consequence.

The rebalancing was driven in part by the seemingly unstoppable rise in Apple shares, which are up more than fourfold in the past two years. The tech company’s big weighting means that a change in fortune for the maker of iPhones, iPods and iPads has a huge impact on one of the most heavily traded indexes in the market.
    The rebalancing takes effect May 2, 2011. It should be noted, however, that many view the upheaval as a potentially strong buying opportunity for shares of Apple. The logic applied in making that assessment, say those who are looking for the positives in the rebalancing, is rooted in the fact that Apple's corporate fundamentals remain very, very strong. And it's going to take a lot more than a NASDAQ shake-up for shares of Apple to ultimately fall short of where many analysts believe they will end up - north of $500 per share.

On Tuesday at 10:32 am CST, shares of Apple (AAPL) were only down $0.71 to $340.48.

Source: Wall Street Journal

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

This makes perfect sense to me. Apple skews the index. I can't see how this would diminish Apple's current stock value. If anything this is an affirmation of Apple's large future growth.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

As little as I understand about this, it may be time to assess where my investments are and make some changes...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

With so many upper management changes, which means people have no idea which direction Apple is heading... I can see the reason to reassess Apple's worth. Jobs fighting cancer, Apple would take a beating when Jobs eventually loses.