Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 106

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Geohot's Legal Team Takes Aim at Sony

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,779
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

    Default Geohot's Legal Team Takes Aim at Sony


    Embattled hacker George "Geohot" Hotz isn't going down without a fight in his epic jailbreaking legal battle with Sony. Dragged into a courtroom showdown over his PS3 jailbreaking exploits, Geohot has been subjected to some serious full court pressure by Sony Computer Entertainment America, which is actively seeking to have the case heard in California, conveniently located just outside the company's sprawling headquarters.

    Geohot's lawyer, Stewart Kellar, has finally stepped up to the plate publicly by blasting Sony for demanding that the case be heard in California. Not only would it be "a hardship for Hotz to travel there," it would "set a precedent for companies being able to sue anyone, anywhere, on relatively flimsy grounds," the International Business Times reports.

    Kellar, however, went much further than to just criticize the PS3 maker for trying to relocate Geohot for court. Kellar also says SCEA "isn't even a subsidiary of Sony Japan (the actual producer of the PlayStation 3) and the "entity that should be suing." In addition to arguing why SCEA shouldn't be upset with Geohot, Kellar is seemingly asserting that SCEA doesn't have much to do with this matter, at least in the sense that everything in the PlayStation's "system, software and packaging all point to Sony Japan as the producer."

    The latest efforts by Geohot's legal team represent some degree of good news of the infamous hacker, who last week was accused of "fleeing the country," presumably to evade authorities, critics contended. But Geohot has since rebuffed those mainstream media reports, noting that his vacation was in the works for months and that he was in touch with his lawyers
    for the duration of the trip.

    Source: International Business Times

  2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

    area51crypto (03-29-2011), Banjy (03-30-2011), droizz12 (03-29-2011), dsg (03-29-2011), dyno0690 (03-30-2011), eenofonn (03-31-2011), GreYFoXGTi (03-29-2011), hitman10 (03-30-2011), IphoneReaper (03-29-2011), iZotik (03-29-2011), kevin.e.white (03-30-2011), lightmaster (03-30-2011), Mikoinho (03-30-2011), moon#pie (03-29-2011), n00neimp0rtant (03-29-2011), PuppyPR (03-30-2011), rainman99 (03-31-2011), reaves205 (03-29-2011), SnowLeo (03-30-2011), tma (04-01-2011)

  3. #2
    I can't imagine his legal team being able to beat their's should this go to a hearing but it would be absolutely wonderful if this latest attempt by his lawyer were enough for the judge to consider whether Sony's case has grounds. Having the case thrown out is just as desireable as winning. Maybe not for future precedence-sake, but for the well being of GeoHot. Stay with it!

  4. #3
    My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Patriots Area
    Posts
    796
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 75 Times in 60 Posts

    These guys seem like they're defending him by talking and walking backwards.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to delusion950 For This Useful Post:

    mhtruth (03-29-2011)

  6. #4
    Glad to here geohotz lawyers stepping up

    Go him!!!
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

    Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

  7. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Westerman View Post
    Glad to here geohotz lawyers stepping up

    Go him!!!
    Here or hear???

    And a moderator

  8. #6
    If I had a nickel... thazsar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,310
    Thanks
    522
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,008 Posts

    I think that's awesome!!! Sony (America) are trying to throw their weight around and one man is taking them on. Nice call, BTW, for finding that SCEA has no business in the matter! Good luck, GeoHot...make it ra1n!

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

    Fimeg (03-29-2011), PuppyPR (03-30-2011)

  10. #7
    If I had a nickel... thazsar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,310
    Thanks
    522
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,008 Posts

    And nice article, Essany! Ignore the haters here on MMI.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

    Bassface (03-30-2011), PuppyPR (03-30-2011)

  12. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Posts
    140
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts

    The outcome of this case is going to produce sweeping effects either for or against modders; it will be monumental. My personal belief is that the modders will win.

  13. #9
    if anything he should be commended by sony for hacking their product in which they can patch security holes
    and its his ps3 he can do whatever to it tell sony to take a hike

  14. #10
    Default I just don't get it
    I just don't get it, if I buy a product I own that product. Can Ford sue me for putting a new engine in my truck? I don't think so. Screw Sony and anyone related to them. Go Geo!

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Marty331 For This Useful Post:

    Trees415 (03-31-2011)

  16. #11
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    671
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty331 View Post
    I just don't get it, if I buy a product I own that product. Can Ford sue me for putting a new engine in my truck? I don't think so. Screw Sony and anyone related to them. Go Geo!
    Thing is and i could be wrong, but you actually own a license of the software, not the actual software itself. Sony owns the software and owns the right to modify it. You the user are authorized to use the software based on the licensing agreement. Since you do not own the software you cannot modify it in anyway.

    In my opinion i agree with you. I think i should be able to do what i want with it, but it's not like in the world of software. We the users do not own software, we are licensed to use it.

    :/

  17. #12
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BAY AREA....
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty331 View Post
    I just don't get it, if I buy a product I own that product. Can Ford sue me for putting a new engine in my truck? I don't think so. Screw Sony and anyone related to them. Go Geo!
    Of course they can. They just need to slip through a few corrupt loopholes and work out a couple backroom deals and BAM! You're on trial for changing your underwear.

  18. #13
    All legal stuff aside, do we need to see that photo everytime you dedicate yet another story to this kid?

    Makes him look like a serial killer or animal rapist.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to ClerkDante For This Useful Post:

    steelersfan32 (03-29-2011)

  20. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post
    All legal stuff aside, do we need to see that photo everytime you dedicate yet another story to this kid?

    Makes him look like a serial killer or animal rapist.
    I don't know, to me he looks more like some smelly kid watching "2 girls 1 cup".

  21. #15
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts

    Jeezzz geohot needs haircut bad!! Better open his paypal account again

  22. #16
    I hope his lawyers shut sony the **** up

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iSteed For This Useful Post:

    plcrules (03-29-2011), Trees415 (03-31-2011)

  24. #17
    i hate big corporations like Sony, McDonalds, Microsoft, Apple etc. who do they think they are? if it wasn't for the likes of you and me, they would not be where they are today. they all seem to forget this. and if it wasn't for the hackers/modders, to they really think that they would have come up with all the ideas for their products. like sony's PSP for prime example. if it wasn't for the hackers, they would not have introduced XMB theme's, games that can be played from flash memory. making the UMD redundant. oh...sony have done so in the new PSP Go. just to name a few things.

    so why are corporations so against people making their products better? you dont see car manufacturers like Ford, GM etc taking people to court, just because someone has added a body kit, increased the engines BHP cut the roof down by a few inches. car modders have been doing this since the car was invented. and to my recollection, no car manufacturer has taken some to court because of this....there are even large companies like Brabus (to name one) who tune Mercedes cars. or on the other scale, alloy wheels and exhaust manufacturers.

    what is this world coming to??? when corporations just like Sony, think that, just because they are a big company, that they can sue people for making their products better. it's not as if Geohot made a profit from leaking the source code in the first place. he just opened the floodgate so that people can do whatever they want to the PS3.

    here's another question that should be asked. when you buy a PS3, Xbox, iPhone, a TV etc. the product usually comes with a one years manufacturers warranty. and when this warranty runs out, if the product becomes faulty (even if it's a month over the warranty period) then they will refuse to fix the faulty item. does this mean that, if i wait a year after i bought the PS3 etc and then hack it, that the likes of Sony can not sue us, as it's out of their warranty period?

  25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oldgit9 For This Useful Post:

    A666R (03-31-2011), djgunner (03-30-2011), hitman10 (03-30-2011), kevin.e.white (03-30-2011), rainman99 (03-31-2011), spoon (03-30-2011)

  26. #18
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,741
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by oldgit9 View Post
    i hate big corporations like Sony, McDonalds, Microsoft, Apple etc. who do they think they are? if it wasn't for the likes of you and me, they would not be where they are today. they all seem to forget this. and if it wasn't for the hackers/modders, to they really think that they would have come up with all the ideas for their products. like sony's PSP for prime example. if it wasn't for the hackers, they would not have introduced XMB theme's, games that can be played from flash memory. making the UMD redundant. oh...sony have done so in the new PSP Go. just to name a few things.

    so why are corporations so against people making their products better? you dont see car manufacturers like Ford, GM etc taking people to court, just because someone has added a body kit, increased the engines BHP cut the roof down by a few inches. car modders have been doing this since the car was invented. and to my recollection, no car manufacturer has taken some to court because of this....there are even large companies like Brabus (to name one) who tune Mercedes cars. or on the other scale, alloy wheels and exhaust manufacturers.

    what is this world coming to??? when corporations just like Sony, think that, just because they are a big company, that they can sue people for making their products better. it's not as if Geohot made a profit from leaking the source code in the first place. he just opened the floodgate so that people can do whatever they want to the PS3.

    here's another question that should be asked. when you buy a PS3, Xbox, iPhone, a TV etc. the product usually comes with a one years manufacturers warranty. and when this warranty runs out, if the product becomes faulty (even if it's a month over the warranty period) then they will refuse to fix the faulty item. does this mean that, if i wait a year after i bought the PS3 etc and then hack it, that the likes of Sony can not sue us, as it's out of their warranty period?
    Seriously? You still don't understand their reasoning?

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

    Poseidon79 (03-30-2011)

  28. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Seriously? You still don't understand their reasoning?
    if you mean to sue someone for finding a away to make a product better (in the long run....just like the PSP), then yeah i "don't understand their reasoning". as sony did not sue Dark Alex (the guy behind the PSP's Custom Firmware and other dev teams) for making the PSP a better product, so why sue Geohot?

    if it was down to reasoning, then why aren't more manufacturers on the same band wagon. yeah i know Apple and Microsoft are trying. personally, i think that the big corporations are so far up their own backsides, they have forgotten what daylight looks like.

  29. #20
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,741
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by oldgit9 View Post
    if you mean to sue someone for finding a away to make a product better (in the long run....just like the PSP), then yeah i "don't understand their reasoning". as sony did not sue Dark Alex (the guy behind the PSP's Custom Firmware and other dev teams) for making the PSP a better product, so why sue Geohot?

    if it was down to reasoning, then why aren't more manufacturers on the same band wagon. yeah i know Apple and Microsoft are trying. personally, i think that the big corporations are so far up their own backsides, they have forgotten what daylight looks like.
    Go read about the actual case and what exactly George released to the public.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •