+ Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Geohot's Legal Team Takes Aim at Sony

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Protesting Sony... Protesting Microsoft... And let's face it, the wii is kinda lacking at this point... I sure hope apple comes out with a gaming system soon.
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Protesting Sony...
    Protesting Microsoft...
    And let's face it, the wii is kinda lacking at this point...

I sure hope apple comes out with a gaming system soon.

Thanks

I think that is literally the only geohot picture ever used. Anyway, sold returned all my Sony products in support of Mr. Hotz. Take it to em man!
    "Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower."
    - Steve Jobs

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Totally agreed!! They don't own the product that we purchase with our hard earned money!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope they tear Sony a new one, it's just ridiculous what they're doing! Full support from me Geo, represent JB's well!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Actually, Sony sells PS3s at a $50 loss. So buy buying a PS3, you're actually taking action to bankrupt the company.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by damoek View Post
    did anyone else donate to Geohot and then freak out when sony subpoenaed his paypal records
    If he still need another donation ..... I will. Sony can't sue me what I can/can't do with my money.

iPhone? More like MyPhone kevin.e.white's Avatar
    Thanks

well said oldgit9.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit9 View Post
    i hate big corporations like Sony, McDonalds, Microsoft, Apple etc. who do they think they are? if it wasn't for the likes of you and me, they would not be where they are today. they all seem to forget this. and if it wasn't for the hackers/modders, to they really think that they would have come up with all the ideas for their products. like sony's PSP for prime example. if it wasn't for the hackers, they would not have introduced XMB theme's, games that can be played from flash memory. making the UMD redundant. oh...sony have done so in the new PSP Go. just to name a few things.

so why are corporations so against people making their products better? you dont see car manufacturers like Ford, GM etc taking people to court, just because someone has added a body kit, increased the engines BHP cut the roof down by a few inches. car modders have been doing this since the car was invented. and to my recollection, no car manufacturer has taken some to court because of this....there are even large companies like Brabus (to name one) who tune Mercedes cars. or on the other scale, alloy wheels and exhaust manufacturers.

what is this world coming to??? when corporations just like Sony, think that, just because they are a big company, that they can sue people for making their products better. it's not as if Geohot made a profit from leaking the source code in the first place. he just opened the floodgate so that people can do whatever they want to the PS3.

here's another question that should be asked. when you buy a PS3, Xbox, iPhone, a TV etc. the product usually comes with a one years manufacturers warranty. and when this warranty runs out, if the product becomes faulty (even if it's a month over the warranty period) then they will refuse to fix the faulty item. does this mean that, if i wait a year after i bought the PS3 etc and then hack it, that the likes of Sony can not sue us, as it's out of their warranty period?

well said oldgit9
    Last edited by kevin.e.white; 03-30-2011 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin.e.white For This Useful Post:

spoon (03-30-2011)

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Certde View Post
    Actually, Sony sells PS3s at a $50 loss. So buy buying a PS3, you're actually taking action to bankrupt the company.
    They used but not anymore especially since the PS3 Slim, they make a small profit now.

i hate big corporations like Sony, McDonalds, Microsoft, Apple etc. who do they think they are? if it wasn't for the likes of you and me, they would not be where they are today. they all seem to forget this. and if it wasn't for the hackers/modders, to they really think that they would have come up with all the ideas for their products. like sony's PSP for prime example. if it wasn't for the hackers, the....
    Do you even know what you are talking about?

Mod your own stuff BUT DON'T RELEASE COPYRIGHTED STUFF AS ITS AGAINST THE T&C's, why do you think other hackers who have hacked the latest firmware 3.60 aren't getting sued because they're not releasing the cfw yet.

Also its SCEA that is suing and not Sony Japan? I hope Geohot wins

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Seriously? You still don't understand their reasoning?

Give it up. You'll never win

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

Thanks

Hurray for greedy coperations!

Geohot rip them a new one!

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Not everything you buy, you own.
    In many cases (PS3 included) you may own the hardware, but you do not own the software that came installed on it. It is licensed to you and you are to stay within the boundaries of the license agreement (which you accept by buying the product)

It was nice to see George got a holiday out of all your donation, I hope at least he sent a postcard

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    And nice article, Essany! Ignore the haters here on MMI.
    So I'm not the only guy who defends messany? Awesome.
    But on subject now, Sony is only trying to make an example of geohot. I for one am still sitting on my 3.55 CFW Jailbroken Ps3 and Sony has yet to try to ban/sue/attack me unfairly! And I intend to keep doing whatever I want to my property!

iPhone? More like MyPhone itsjustlenny's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Not everything you buy, you own.
    In many cases (PS3 included) you may own the hardware, but you do not own the software that came installed on it. It is licensed to you and you are to stay within the boundaries of the license agreement (which you accept by buying the product)

It was nice to see George got a holiday out of all your donation, I hope at least he sent a postcard
    Many ppl forget the terms they have to agree to when you register your product saying you don't own any part of the software and then are outraged when something like this happens. Maybe they shouldn't of skimmed through it and actually read it. And as for mr geo. He knew what he was getting into when he hacked it and put it online. No sympathy from me really. If I plan on robbing a bank Im pretty sure I know what consequences i face if I get caught.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to itsjustlenny For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (03-30-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm a little confused behind Sony's reasons for suing Geohot. You're just attacking one of the many hackers on the PS3. It can't be for publicity because to me, it makes Sony look like an ***. I wonder if Sony's ever heard of a software update? Kinda like what that small company called Apple does.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think the issue at hand is whether or not the hacking results in taking revenue from Sony that they otherwise would/could have had.

If the hacks dont lead to lost revenue...Sony has no case.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ZipZapp For This Useful Post:

Trist06 (04-01-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Good to see hes going at them with a legal team that seems to understand the case. Good luck Geo.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

i would if i could be bothered to decipher all the legal jargon. plus i have a life and i dont want to waste what i've got left, reading about what we cant do to something which is legally ours.

if the likes of sony get their way and win cases like this, then who's to say where it will all end. before long, we will not own anything, we will be renting it off the likes of sony.

to cut the long story short, sony and other corporations just want to rule our lives, by demanding that we MUST use their products for the mannor that they were intended for. im sorry to inform them, but it's only human nature to dismantle things, to see how they work and try and to make them better. otherwise, we would still be driving around in model T Ford cars and computers would still be made up of tubes and valves. common sony etc, it's called the "industrial evolution".
    Right, because reading is so tedious and time consuming that only the laziest and most inactive people do it

Hacking the system and running UNSIGNED CODE is one thing (which is how the iDevice community operates). Releasing the root keys that are used for SIGNING CODE is an entirely different issue and has the ability to enable a whole lot more maliciousness; this is what this is what this case is all about. The day someone releases those keys for iOS is the day you will see Apple take it's gloves off and go on a full out battle against jail breaking.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (03-30-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marty331 View Post
    I just don't get it, if I buy a product I own that product. Can Ford sue me for putting a new engine in my truck? I don't think so. Screw Sony and anyone related to them. Go Geo!
    Thing is and i could be wrong, but you actually own a license of the software, not the actual software itself. Sony owns the software and owns the right to modify it. You the user are authorized to use the software based on the licensing agreement. Since you do not own the software you cannot modify it in anyway.

In my opinion i agree with you. I think i should be able to do what i want with it, but it's not like in the world of software. We the users do not own software, we are licensed to use it.

:/

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Blah blah blah, he broke the EULA and no matter how much we want what he does, its still against the EULA.

Green Apple
    Thanks

When you buy a ps3, yes you own it. The case and hardware. What you do not own is the software. You are simply licensed to use it on your device. It is the same with all software. If you purchase a program for your computer, it's the same. Read any license agreement for any software and it will plainly state that it is illegal to modify it. I am by no means in favor of Sony winning this case. Geohot has an uphill battle on his hands. I, personally, am in favor of modding, but Sony does have a valid case. Especially since Geohot leaked the source code to the public.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to lsufan51 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (03-30-2011)