+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac OS X Lion Golden Master Candidate Soon to be Released

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Mac OS X Lion Golden Master Candidate Soon to be Released

When Apple first previewed Mac OS X Lion last October at their "Back to Mac" media event, the planned release date was scheduled for Summer 2011. It now looks as if Apple is preparing to release the first golden master candidate version to developers in the near future. Just last month Apple released a preview version of Mac OS X Lion and now they appear to be ready to release an update to that initial release.

Development of Mac OS X Lion must be going well if Apple is already at the initial golden master stage. When Mac OS X Snow Leopard reached the GM stage of development, the final release was launched to the public only a few weeks later. If all goes well and the bugs are minimal, then we may end up seeing Lion released sooner rather than later.

With Mac OS X Lion, Apple hopes to bridge the gap between the Mac and iOS operating systems. When Lion is finally released to the public, it will be the first Mac OS to incorporate many of the features first seen on the iPhone. Many of these new Lion features will be quite familiar to anyone who has ever used and iPhone or iPad.

A new feature called Launchpad will allow you to access all of your Mac software in a more iOS type of way, by giving users one touch access to all of their apps. Starting with Lion, Mac apps will now behave more like iOS apps, for example, all apps will now be available in full screen mode, they will auto save and automatically resume where you left off. When itís finally released, it will be interesting to see if this convergence of operating systems is actually a benefit to end users.

Apple may actually be ahead of schedule with Mac OS X Lion and if there aren't too many bugs to squash along the way, then we might actually see it released before summer. Apple holds its WWDC event every year in early June and they usually release new products during the event. With Mac OS X Lion development coming along nicely, I wouldn't be too surprised to see released at this yearís event. No word on the expected price as of yet, but it's sure to be more than Snow Leopard's $29 price tag.

Source: TechCrunch

Thanks

Sounds good, can't wait for lion but I hope they don't release a buggy unstable update just to get it out like they do with iOS.

Thanks

Any one know how much this will be?

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

My guess would they go full OS upgrade price. Not the minor update that Snow Leopard was.

Can't wait I guess but haven't looked fully into what the changes are.

Thanks
    loopl just discovered that a political party used that same lion pic for a campain a few years ago in Belgium xD

Apple maakt reclame met Vlaams Belang-leeuw - nieuws - ITProfessional - pagina: 1
    (Dutch site)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    My guess would they go full OS upgrade price. Not the minor update that Snow Leopard was.

Can't wait I guess but haven't looked fully into what the changes are.
    I dunno, lately Apple have been nice with cheaper software prices. My guess is they'll go with the $29 price point that Snow Leopard had to entice as big an adoption rate as possible.
    Also from what I've seen so far Snow Leopard -> Lion doesn't seem like a huge update yet. From playing with the dev build for a few days it seemed to be mostly UI changes but I haven't spent a lot of time with it. I thought Tiger -> Leopard was a huge jump.

Would distribution via the Mac App Store be possible? Download the DMG and burn it to a DVD? OS X hasn't had any DRM anywho and they distribute it to devs digitally too.

Quote Originally Posted by mathieuvp View Post
    loopl just discovered that a political party used that same lion pic for a campain a few years ago in Belgium xD

Apple maakt reclame met Vlaams Belang-leeuw - nieuws - ITProfessional - pagina: 1
    (Dutch site)
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 03-26-2011 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

[QUOTE=Cer0;5920402]My guess would they go full OS upgrade price. Not the minor update that Snow Leopard was.

Snow Leopard 10.6 (gained 21GB on my HD) was huge over the monster Leopard 10.5 that gobbled up my HD. 10.7 should really be free as all the Mac app purchases #winning for Apple.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope it's around $49. I like the new additions, I just don't know how I feel about the whole moving toward iOS. Sure some things from iOS will be cool to have on a Mac, but overall I think they need to keep them separate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I hope it's around $49. I like the new additions, I just don't know how I feel about the whole moving toward iOS. Sure some things from iOS will be cool to have on a Mac, but overall I think they need to keep them separate.
    Getting bored with the iOS? Android is nice too especially 3.0 having both is cool

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

You do not have to use launchpad if you do not like the iOS look.

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

well im using the developers preview now and there are soo many bugs that i could name...

1) scrolling between spaces often fails. (reboot needed)
    2) launch pad says it is downloading an app but the app is downloaded and can be opened in the apps folder (reboot needed)
    3) when viewing a video in full screen and exit the viewing the screen goes white... (launch of mission control needed)

and i could go on and on...
    i dont think they could have figured out all the bugs already...
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

h2a
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Okay really people, the "iOS" complaints really have me stumped. Aside from the launch pad (the iOS home screen style icon grid), which is just an icon in the dock that you NEVER have to click, I don't get what the "it looks too much like iOS" comments are about. Nothing about Lion is any different from using Leopard, aside from the addition of some cool new ways to get around, which don't really interfere with your old ways of getting around.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to h2a For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (03-26-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple it's getting closer to build one Operative System for both Mac and touch devices or to make all the devices touch.
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope the OS is cheap and has a new look.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

i just hope my mac mini 2007 2ghz is still compatible with it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    I hope the OS is cheap and has a new look.

Agreed on cheap price cuz iOS Lion is nothing more than a Cash Cow IMHO

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'd prefer Apple to show off new features and explain new improvements (under the hood) before they release it. From this news post it sounds like WWDC '11 might be too far away as it's speculating that Lion is close to completion but Apple could hold off on releasing Lion until then.
    But then that would have WWDC possibly launching Mac OS X Lion, iOS 5 and iPhone 5. Probably too much for one event.
    I'd rather Apple focus WWDC for OS X and have it marketed as another "Back to the Mac" event. iOS and iDevices are hogging all the limelight for my liking

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rpgpromaster View Post
    well im using the developers preview now and there are soo many bugs that i could name...

1) scrolling between spaces often fails. (reboot needed)
    2) launch pad says it is downloading an app but the app is downloaded and can be opened in the apps folder (reboot needed)
    3) when viewing a video in full screen and exit the viewing the screen goes white... (launch of mission control needed)

and i could go on and on...
    i dont think they could have figured out all the bugs already...
    I have not experienced any of the bugs you listed. What machine cpu and chipset are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post

Have you used lion? Yes there is some ios type Features but it is just as powerful as os x. You dont have to use the launch pad if you dont want, Thats really the only ios type thing in it that you can see with your eyes.
    Last edited by Rob2G; 03-26-2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    [SIGPIC]

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob2G For This Useful Post:

h2a (03-26-2011)

h2a
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post

You've clearly not used the developer preview.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h2a View Post
    You've clearly not used the developer preview.
    Does preview work on older 2007 white MacBook?