Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Smart TV' From Apple May Already Be In The Works

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default 'Smart TV' From Apple May Already Be In The Works

Persistent speculation about a connected TV from Apple simply won't subside. On Friday, the rumor mill was taken for another whirlwind spin as Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty re-ignited those lofty suspicions in a research note to investors. As it turns out, "checks in Asia suggest Apple is working on a Smart TV prototype." The "checks" that Huberty refers to are checks with Apple's Asian component suppliers.

Huberty predicts Apple's "Smart TV" could represent "potentially the next new product category" for the tech giant. She expects the product to represent a consolidation of "TV/Video content, gaming, DVR, as well as other features like apps and FaceTime into one product." What isn't clear, however, is the possible timetable from development to official launch - assuming, of course, that such an ambitious living room venture truly is being planned by Apple.

Huberty, who believes Apple stock may hit $540 if the stars (and sales) align just right, is not the only prominent Wall Street analyst to believe that Apple is about to revolutionize living room entertainment with an entirely new product fitting the description of Huberty's envisioned "Smart TV."

Last month, a provocative report from investment firm Piper Jaffray suggested that Apple may finally be gearing up to introduce a connected-TV as soon as 2012. According to analyst Gene Munster, Apple will likely use some of its recent $3.9 billion in component investments to develop large screen displays, probably for a connected Apple television set of at least 50-inches.

"While Apple's commitment to the living room remains a 'hobby,' we continue to believe the company will enter the TV market with a full focus, as an all-in-one Apple television could move the needle when connected TVs proliferate," Munster says, adding that Apple is believed to be eager to jump into the red hot flat panel television market.

Source: Wall Street Journal

Default I don't see it
    I believe the licensing AirPlay rumor more than this rumor. Where exactly can Apple go with a TV other than keeping it in house? Make it thinner and bigger every two to three years? Where is the selling point? I don't buy a TV every year or even every two to three years. It isn't a volume sell.

License AirPlay out to other manufacturers. Let them build the TVs and then the Apple iTunes option is built in. Leverage those units to get people into the Apple ecosystem, get money for the licenses and spend nothing on manufacturing costs. Sounds like a good idea to me.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

3. The Following User Says Thank You to southfrisco For This Useful Post:

stlcaddie (03-27-2011)

and it will cost approximately $1,000,000 (or it might as well, since I'm positive I won't be able to afford a TV made by apple)

"Smart TV" Is that something that will automatically filter, or censor what Steve & Co. deem "inappropriate" content ?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GAIAStevef For This Useful Post:

jordbrett (03-25-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

I could imagine just like the mac mini it will take forever to finally get HDMI
    Last edited by Bluprint; 03-25-2011 at 12:44 PM.

And if you hold it the wrong way, you won't get reception

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

its funny, no imagination. Just like when the ipad came out. Everyone trash talking to the max. You dont even know what apple has up their selves. I think it would be something amazing they'd make. And yet i still dont know why i'm watching tv from a 50" Sony. I feel it should be apple.
    Good point made about volume... i bet apple can fix that.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Thanks

Talking Apple's Super Smart TV
    Sweet I can see it now...

70 inch touchscreen television from apple.

Features:
    Built in Mac Pro,
    Full computer and iOS experience,
    Built in Apple TV,
    airplay enabled,
    built in webcam,
    built in telephone/iPhone,
    full featured gaming system,
    built in 8x SuperDrive (DVDR DL/DVDRW/CD-RW)
    comes with free iPad 3 to use as the controller/navigator.

Prices starting at $9,999

...no need for HDMI, because what the hell would need to connect to thing beast of a machine? Oh, and I forgot to mention, you can watch TV on it too.

I'd buy one...

An Apple TV, actual TV, would be one hefty cost.

When companies like Vizio just put up their 3D 1080p tvs starting at 549$. With internet apps (haven't looked at what apps it inlcudes, I hope netflix at least).

Yeah I'll totally buy a TV from Apple with they're controlling nature...wait I'm not stupid nevermind.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IXAdamOwnzXI View Post
    Yeah I'll totally buy a TV from Apple with they're controlling nature...wait I'm not stupid nevermind.
    You may want to check your spelling and punctuation before making such a claim.

"they're" is like "they are"

I think the word you're looking for is "their"

Just a heads up, no hard feelings.

I think this would be great!

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Irony at its finest...lol
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I think Apple could make a really good TV! They'd have to set a reasonable price though because they're some amazing TV's out right now for pretty good prices.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    You may want to check your spelling and punctuation before making such a claim.
    Well considering I was piss drunk at the time of that comment I think I did pretty well. Screw off.

Well considering I was piss drunk at the time of that comment I think I did pretty well. Screw off.
    WOAH!! Hey now, can't we all just get along?

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Leave TV to the people who have been making them for over 20 years!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast