+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: US Lawmakers Pressure Apple to Pull DUI Checkpoints App

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
I'm sure the apps are good for more than just giving drunk drivers a way out, they can help save time and prevent other drivers from being caught out on
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm sure the apps are good for more than just giving drunk drivers a way out, they can help save time and prevent other drivers from being caught out on minimal violations. Besides, if you're really that far gone I'm sure looking at an app to avoid a checkpoint is definitely not going to be the first thing on your mind...

Thanks

....haha! Whats next banning scanners in cars haha! What a JOKE! Lawmakers are always looking for the next animal to become a parasite on! Guess Apples app is the choice this time....if the lawmakers win, hopefully it doesn't start a TREND :]

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    ....haha! Whats next banning scanners in cars haha! What a JOKE! Lawmakers are always looking for the next animal to become a parasite on! Guess Apples app is the choice this time....if the lawmakers win, hopefully it doesn't start a TREND :]

LIke you said, what they gonna do next? Ban the scanners on the cars and radar detectors? Is not the same thing if Im on a checkpoint even If I dont drink and I call my friend that is drunk and I tell him, hey dont come thru this route, they have a check point here, is the same thing, oh, I think you are going to take control of my calls too?. US senators, do you all dont have something else useful to spend your time? We got a lot of important things that need to be solved, do you all mind to take care of at least some of them?
    Last edited by javiert30; 03-25-2011 at 07:13 AM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

While I think it's a joke and a bonehead move by Apple to allow these Apps, chances are if you're wasted you're probably not gonna remember to check your iPhone for speed traps.....and you probably won't be able to read the screen anyway. Hence the concept of "impaired judgment".

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    While I think it's a joke and a bonehead move by Apple to allow these Apps, chances are if you're wasted you're probably not gonna remember to check your iPhone for speed traps.....and you probably won't be able to read the screen anyway. Hence the concept of "impaired judgment".
    I have an iPhone stand on my car with a suction cup like one GPS, I went from here New Orleans all the way to Texas and I tell you, it helped me a lot from those stupid speed traps on the road. I always use it and I know I helped some people too, I reported 3 accidents that happened while I was going to your state.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    I don't believe anyone condones drunk driving. Pulling these apps won't stop people from finding out where and when a DUI checkpoint will be set up. If a friend is driving around and sees one while on the way to a party, I am sure he/she will tell everyone not to go that way..... You don't really need an app for that......
    agreed. ofcourse during the hightened holidays the state police in my area are ALWAYS at the same location. Paddy Wagon, chase cars in every direction, dogs and oh yea... guns and radios.
    "they're trashing our rights. hack the planet!"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sammo123 View Post
    Apple should not pull these apps. It gives the government more power than they deserve. I for one think its our right to own this app just as its our right to use radar detectors
    Agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Exactly. This is typical politicians sticking their noses into the wrong things. Fix the budget.
    Last edited by 86hawkeye; 03-25-2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

seriuosly!!! this is crazy. you can get a dui from just breathing in fumes from a glass of wine in the usa. totally out of control.... we need apps like trapster to protect us from outlandish laws and police with waaaaay to much control.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default DUI Check Points Are Illegal
    DUI Check Points are Illegal because they infringe on the
    4th Amendment. Where Law Enforcement search people and their cars with out probable cause and with out A JUDGE Warrant. And it is Specially Illegal When the US Military and MAD Engages on those searches. That is punishable under Federal Law and The American People Should Sue Under the 4th Amendment. It is time to end the Tyranny in the US and arrest and bring to justice those who commit TREASON Against the US Constitution. The Punishment Should be execution. Because Every time Some one Dishonors the US Constitution they are steeping on it and on the US Flag. This is Ridiculous. What would our Fore Founding Fathers SAY.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to knightridaz562 For This Useful Post:

PhantomPhoenix (03-27-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Thank you, Try again
    Quote Originally Posted by knightridaz562 View Post
    DUI Check Points are Illegal because they infringe on the
    4th Amendment. Where Law Enforcement search people and their cars with out probable cause and with out A JUDGE Warrant. And it is Specially Illegal When the US Military and MAD Engages on those searches. That is punishable under Federal Law and The American People Should Sue Under the 4th Amendment. It is time to end the Tyranny in the US and arrest and bring to justice those who commit TREASON Against the US Constitution. The Punishment Should be execution. Because Every time Some one Dishonors the US Constitution they are steeping on it and on the US Flag. This is Ridiculous. What would our Fore Founding Fathers SAY.

I can assure you that the SCOTUS has ruled on checkpoints, and have held that it is not.

Furthermore, your statements concerning searching cars w/o Probable cause are also generally incorrect as there are many exceptions to the warrant requirement; such as the automobile exception, traffic stop exception, search incident to arrest, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by that_girl View Post
    Dang. It wouldn't be so bad to me if those type of apps were just helpful for speeders (come on, everyone has gone over the speed limit, don't lie), but to help drunk drivers is very wrong.
    Most DUI or DWI laws do not make the BAC limit a mandatory requirement; thus you can get charged with and convicted of, even with a BAC under the legal limit...or even with a BAC of 0.0.

So say you had a single glass of wine with dinner...could you be charged and convicted? Yes.

Would you want to hire an atty and fight it? Of course, but how many of you have the money to go to trial? Just for a basic, no trial DUI charge will cost ~$3500 for representation (not by the PD's office); if you want to go to trial, the atty will most likely ask for a $4-5k retainer on top of the original fee.
    Last edited by flounderasu; 03-26-2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    I think a better app would be one that tells pedophiles the best spots to scope out little kiddies.

I support the removal of this app. I don't view it as a legal issue but rather I feel it's simply a matter of doing what's best for the community.

Then again, I also hold the opinion that all automobiles should be required by law to come with Interlock devices installed. God knows nothing got in the way of me driving back when I drank, I'm just eternally grateful I never injured or harmed anyone from it.
    I'm not going to give you flak for this because what I think you were getting at with your sarcasm was an app that tells child molesters where neighborhood watch participants hang out at or cops so that they can go about their molesting and not have to worry about getting caught.

Disclaimer: I'm being 100% sarcastic with that but I was trying to help you understand what mortopher was probably trying to be sarcastic about.

/sarcasm

edit: I'm not saying I have but I would be willing to bet a good number of us have driven home completely blitzed out of our minds and didn't get caught and wonder how the hell we made it home without crashing/getting a DUI. Hopefully every person that did that learned from it and that experience only happened 1 time. That being said, I can guarantee the last thing on your mind would have been looking at a screen while driving to see if you were heading into a DUI checkpoint because keeping the car as straight as possible and braking/accelerating properly while trying to not draw attention to yourself would have been your top priority.
    Last edited by alexevo; 04-02-2011 at 11:21 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to alexevo For This Useful Post:

mortopher (04-04-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    I'm not going to give you flak for this because what I think you were getting at with your sarcasm was an app that tells child molesters where neighborhood watch participants hang out at or cops so that they can go about their molesting and not have to worry about getting caught.

Disclaimer: I'm being 100% sarcastic with that but I was trying to help you understand what mortopher was probably trying to be sarcastic about.

/sarcasm

edit: I'm not saying I have but I would be willing to bet a good number of us have driven home completely blitzed out of our minds and didn't get caught and wonder how the hell we made it home without crashing/getting a DUI. Hopefully every person that did that learned from it and that experience only happened 1 time. That being said, I can guarantee the last thing on your mind would have been looking at a screen while driving to see if you were heading into a DUI checkpoint because keeping the car as straight as possible and braking/accelerating properly while trying to not draw attention to yourself would have been your top priority.
    Finally, someone understands the analogy and doesn't just blindly assume that I was promoting pedophilia.

+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234