Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 72

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: US Lawmakers Pressure Apple to Pull DUI Checkpoints App

  1. #41
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    487
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 39 Times in 31 Posts

    They said in the video clip that the app also alerts drivers to red light cameras and speed traps. I say keep the app. I don't condone drunk driving but if you're coherent enough to use your iphone to search DUI checkpoints, navigate around them, and make it home safely then you earned it. If you crash while navigating around them then well, you're F'ed anyway.

  2. #42
    So they say it's different because they can plan their route accordingly. If you watched the news, couldn't you do the same thing?

    I've never drank in my life and this just makes me want to find the app so I can avoid stupid checkpoints.

  3. #43
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    487
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 39 Times in 31 Posts

    Yeah I just downloaded it to have it in case it gets pulled from the app store. Thanks to the news for telling me about this because I didn't know about it before haha.

  4. #44
    In my own opinion, Trapster never really even worked that well for me. Maybe for others, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

  5. #45
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,741
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    I would be surprised, with the direction our country's morals have been heading(straight down the toilet), if these apps were pulled. I don't see it happening. People are so self centered and they start spouting civil liberties without a clue as to how their lives would be affected if someone they loved were to be killed by a drunk driver. Why not start condoning rapist apps, drug dealing apps, best place to commit a murder apps? Why condone this?
    I think a better app would be one that tells pedophiles the best spots to scope out little kiddies.

    I support the removal of this app. I don't view it as a legal issue but rather I feel it's simply a matter of doing what's best for the community.

    Then again, I also hold the opinion that all automobiles should be required by law to come with Interlock devices installed. God knows nothing got in the way of me driving back when I drank, I'm just eternally grateful I never injured or harmed anyone from it.

  6. #46
    What's Jailbreak? D3VIL1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    In your basement
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    apple = known enforcement point

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by sammo123 View Post
    Apple should not pull these apps. It gives the government more power than they deserve. I for one think its our right to own this app just as its our right to use radar detectors
    I'm with you...very good point.

  8. #48
    Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In Michigan And Florida
    Posts
    6,535
    Thanks
    3,595
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

    I don't drink period. However I don't think the app should be removed because people use fuzz busters to know where the big boys are.

    "Always remember your special and unique!"

  9. #49
    My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    526
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 37 Times in 30 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sammo123 View Post
    Apple should not pull these apps. It gives the government more power than they deserve. I for one think its our right to own this app just as its our right to use radar detectors
    But wouldn't you agree that driving drunk is not only irresponsible, but dangerous to yourself and others? So why should there be an app designed to keep drunk drivers from being arrested? I understand your point but I also think that radar detectors are detrimental to society because they help you break the law. It would be no different if apple approved an app designed to help you hide the signs of child abuse. I see no grey area here, those apps (and radar detectors but that's not what this topic is) should be pulled because all they do is help people break the law.

    And this is a pretty personal/moral argument for a lot of people so don't flame anyone.

  10. #50
    iPhone? More like MyPhone bigorangekitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Outermatrix
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    I think a better app would be one that tells pedophiles the best spots to scope out little kiddies.

    I support the removal of this app. I don't view it as a legal issue but rather I feel it's simply a matter of doing what's best for the community.

    Then again, I also hold the opinion that all automobiles should be required by law to come with Interlock devices installed. God knows nothing got in the way of me driving back when I drank, I'm just eternally grateful I never injured or harmed anyone from it.
    DUDE? MOLESTING CHILDREN IS NOT THE SAME!!!!! THAT IS SO F--CKED UP THAT YOU WOULD EVEN MAKE A COMPARISON.... comparing an adult choice to drink, to molesting a child? POOR TASTE!

    WAY OUT OF LINE!!!!

    what were you thinking?

    I'm not easily offended, but you have managed to do that.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to bigorangekitty For This Useful Post:

    PhantomPhoenix (03-25-2011)

  12. #51
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,741
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bigorangekitty View Post
    DUDE? MOLESTING CHILDREN IS NOT THE SAME!!!!! THAT IS SO F--CKED UP THAT YOU WOULD EVEN MAKE A COMPARISON.... comparing an adult choice to drink, to molesting a child? POOR TASTE!

    WAY OUT OF LINE!!!!

    what were you thinking?

    I'm not easily offended, but you have managed to do that.
    Why?
    It's public information anyways.
    Maybe some people would use it to find popular playgrounds to allow their kids to meet other children?
    Having an app such as that wouldn't mean you are going to molest a child.
    I'm merely using the same logic applied to this dui app.

    Also, I was not comparing an adults choice to drink to molestation. I was comparing an adults decision to get drunk and then get behind the wheel and put countless lives at risk.

  13. #52
    iPhone? More like MyPhone bigorangekitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Outermatrix
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Why?
    It's public information anyways.
    Maybe some people would use it to find popular playgrounds to allow their kids to meet other children?
    Having an app such as that wouldn't mean you are going to molest a child.
    I'm merely using the same logic applied to this dui app.

    Also, I was not comparing an adults choice to drink to molestation. I was comparing an adults decision to get drunk and then get behind the wheel and put countless lives at risk.
    i'm not here to argue...i do not want to get off topic. I hope you realize....
    THE COMPARISON OF MOLESTING OF CHILDREN TO DRINKING?

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to bigorangekitty For This Useful Post:

    PhantomPhoenix (03-25-2011)

  15. #53
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,741
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    no, drunk driving and taking extensive steps to try and get away with it is what i'm comparing it to.

  16. #54
    more people die each year from cigarette related illnesses than DUI related deaths. whats the Senate doing about banning cigarettes? this is just bull5h1t propaganda
    killall Terminal[]

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to rhekt For This Useful Post:

    PhantomPhoenix (03-25-2011)

  18. #55
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts

    So, basically, a forum with geotags... And they think there's a problem with that?

    Maybe police could use encouragement to mix it up instead of catching the same drunk Tom, Bob, and Fred every night.

  19. #56
    Sanctimonious politicians! Or just protecting self-interest?
    Anyone too drunk to drive can't use this App anyway...But the hype of Apple products somehow makes this "letter" newsworthy enough for the media to focus on an relatively old topic that's been done to death. Of course, no one wants to have more drunk drivers on the road. But DUI check points is clearly harassment;they exists on the assumption is that you are over the limit and therefore must go through a sobriety test. A reasonable counter measure is that "there is an App for that!" Take that away, you might as well kiss the Constitution good bye@!

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Yorshek For This Useful Post:

    PhantomPhoenix (03-25-2011)

  21. #57
    Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Orleans - Who dat nation
    Posts
    1,223
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 115 Times in 88 Posts

    I use Trapster, it shows you the location of speed cameras, checkpoints, live police, and actual accident locations, it helps you in a lot of ways not just for checkpoints. I use it and I dont drink. It's everything about money. But what is a speed trap, its a stupid trap that the police or somebody like a "traffic engineer" put in a road asigned by the goverment. They have hundreds of them all over United States with no sense just to give you a ticket and take your money, like for example you are driving in a road that the limit is 70MPH then out of the sun turns into a 40MPH zone in two seconds, and the live police is right there waiting for you, that is a stupid speed trap designed to catch you and give you a stupid ticket. Thats why most of us use this kind of app, we got rights too, we cant stop the police or whoever is making these stupid speed traps, but we can evade them knowing with time that we got to reduce the speed before we find one of them. So if they take it out of App Store, I hope we can see it in Cydia soon. Go grab that App on Apple Store before is to late.

    Want to see what Im talking about? Look here and see by yourself how many stupid speed traps we got in United States. Thats why we need those kind of Apps.
    Last edited by javiert30; 03-25-2011 at 01:46 AM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to javiert30 For This Useful Post:

    PhantomPhoenix (03-25-2011)

  23. #58
    Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In Michigan And Florida
    Posts
    6,535
    Thanks
    3,595
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    I think a better app would be one that tells pedophiles the best spots to scope out little kiddies.

    I support the removal of this app. I don't view it as a legal issue but rather I feel it's simply a matter of doing what's best for the community.

    Then again, I also hold the opinion that all automobiles should be required by law to come with Interlock devices installed. God knows nothing got in the way of me driving back when I drank, I'm just eternally grateful I never injured or harmed anyone from it.
    Your first sentence of this post was in poor taste and offended others. Please refrain from posting things like this.

    "Always remember your special and unique!"

  24. #59
    These apps should not be pulled, just another attempt for the government to try to seize control. First government in our sports, now in our app store. Socialistic pigs!

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickaroni22 For This Useful Post:

    PhantomPhoenix (03-27-2011)

  26. #60
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,266
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 146 Times in 124 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    Your first sentence of this post was in poor taste and offended others. Please refrain from posting things like this.
    Agreed! Not a good comment at all!

    I bet the Senators use this app to avoid DUI Checkpoints Probably just got enough whining and complaining from the fuzz that they feel like they need to do something about it before parents start in as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •