+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: US Lawmakers Pressure Apple to Pull DUI Checkpoints App

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by PhantomPhoenix Police checkpoints are immoral and intrusive. HANDS OFF OUR CARS, I-DEVICES, BOOZE, AND MONEY! As though the statists don't get enough of our hard-earned money through
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhoenix View Post
    Police checkpoints are immoral and intrusive. HANDS OFF OUR CARS, I-DEVICES, BOOZE, AND MONEY! As though the statists don't get enough of our hard-earned money through taxation, they need to dream up these "where are your papers?" schemes to keep extorting us for more and more for crimes that we didn't commit.
    Would you rather there be no checkpoints and allow people to drive drunk, not pay insurance, motor tax, speed lightning fast etc?

And then when you get hit by a speeding drunk driver you'll be complaining that someone should have done something to prevent that...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phantomphoenix View Post
    police checkpoints are immoral and intrusive. Hands off our cars, i-devices, booze, and money! As though the statists don't get enough of our hard-earned money through taxation, they need to dream up these "where are your papers?" schemes to keep extorting us for more and more for crimes that we didn't commit.
    amen!!!!

Thanks

Simply ridiculous.

I don't see why RIM would pull the apps, I sure hope Apple does not comply.
    How could anyone think these apps should be banned? They are WELL within the law, and useful.

Check stops are a HUGE hassle, often cause delays, and offer no benefit to me whatsoever. I dont want to be stopped, have cops asking me questions, potentially giving me a ticket if a bulb is out or other BS like that. One of my friends had his car searched at a checkstop for no apparent reason, and they gave him a ticket for not having a properly mounted front plate. Yeah, thats really serving the community.
    Last edited by ZOMGVTEK; 03-24-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

There can be legitimate uses for this, namely trying to avoid congested roads where the checkpoints are in place. This is public information that anyone can post on a website. I don't see how they can force something like this to be shut down.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Nice, had trapster the day it came out. I hope this blows up and everyone starts using that app. It will become very powerful if EVERYONE uses to "report" They have made it very easy to add locations while driving (3 taps and gps location dropped on map and notifies all other drivers within range.. )

Just love this kind of news..

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Would you rather there be no checkpoints and allow people to drive drunk, not pay insurance, motor tax, speed lightning fast etc?

And then when you get hit by a speeding drunk driver you'll be complaining that someone should have done something to prevent that...
    Drunk Drivers were busted far before Check Points were routine. I don't have too much of an issue with them, I tend to avoid them because I don't want to sit in traffic for whatever amount of time, when I have somewhere to go. But I also think that this tends to be more about money than public safety

Thanks

Well I use this app very often and is very helpful it save my butt from some tickets.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'll drive defensively as we are supposed to do and are taught to from a young age. Any driver, drunk or sober, can cause serious damage and it's up to any responsible driver to fend for himself.

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeaah, I got it.
    From now on if I drunk I will use this app......
    Last edited by romeo_herman; 03-24-2011 at 06:40 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I hope they do not pull trapster. I and at least a dozen of other people use it in my area and it is very helpful in avoiding traffic cause by construction and accidents. I can't say it helps me to detect police sooner because I'm normally the person marking them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
    EXACTLY! They treat it just like a regular stop and ask you for your license, insurance, and registration. Like I said above I don't drink and drive but I would use the app just to AVOID the bullcrap. Why should I have to be hassled if I'm not drinking and driving?
    Yeah and that's why I have no sympathy for this type of crap... it's a traffic stop called a "DUI Checkpoint" and in all honesty if they had a breathalyzer and you drive up breath in and get on your way I would not mind. Instead if just feels like one of those movies where they stop you while your walking down the street and ask for your papers.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhoenix View Post
    I'll drive defensively as we are supposed to do and are taught to from a young age. Any driver, drunk or sober, can cause serious damage and it's up to any responsible driver to fend for himself.
    How does one "defend" themselves against a drunk driver when they're walking or cycling?

From my own experience in the U.S. drink driving seems to be the done thing anywho, people would look at me as if I had two heads when I told them I'm not getting into the car because you've had a few drinks. Maybe culture has change from 3 years ago?
    For a country with a reputation as drinkers, we have a extremely good record when it comes to drink driving from teens to old.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 03-24-2011 at 06:11 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

the only thing they're doing is promoting these apps. i don't drink and drive and urge everyone not to but pulling this app wont stop people. before this news, i didn't even know about those apps but now i'm going to download it just because everyone wants to avoid the cops whether they're drunk or not.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Why don't they pull thar all that tells you where cops are. Mind as well it gives away cops location.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    There can be legitimate uses for this, namely trying to avoid congested roads where the checkpoints are in place. This is public information that anyone can post on a website. I don't see how they can force something like this to be shut down.
    I would be surprised, with the direction our country's morals have been heading(straight down the toilet), if these apps were pulled. I don't see it happening. People are so self centered and they start spouting civil liberties without a clue as to how their lives would be affected if someone they loved were to be killed by a drunk driver. Why not start condoning rapist apps, drug dealing apps, best place to commit a murder apps? Why condone this?

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigorangekitty's Avatar
    Thanks

There are two things that people are NOT realizing about these apps that are now benefiting from this press... PhantomAlert, Buzzed, Trapster, FuzzAlert....

1. DUI checkpoints are released as common knowledge. They are released to newspapers and tv stations all the time. You can call the police station from a pay phone and find out yourself. It's not classified information. These apps are making money off of press for something you can get for free with a phone call.

2. The hope is that if someone uses this app, they will NOT drive, and either sober up or find another way home (like a cab or friend).

I am all for freedom of information. this is stupid. no reason to stifle technology or waste money or information trying to do so.
    Last edited by bigorangekitty; 03-24-2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: semantics

Thanks
    I'm sure if a Senator drive through a checkpoint they dont have to worry about much (assuming there not sleeping at the wheel). Us regular folk gotta hope the 2 beers we drank an hour before havnt put us over the limit.

If someone is competent enough to pull out there iDevice and use this app, im sure they are capable of driving home, while avoiding traffic

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
    I don't drink and drive however maybe I would want to use the app so that I can AVOID having to be bothered with a DUI checkpoint. If they pull them from the CrapStore we will still have them available to Jailbreakers anyways so whatever!
    No one likes u. Stop sending hate messages.

Banned
    Thanks

How does one "defend" themselves against a drunk driver when they're walking or cycling?

From my own experience in the U.S. drink driving seems to be the done thing anywho, people would look at me as if I had two heads when I told them I'm not getting into the car because you've had a few drinks. Maybe culture has change from 3 years ago?
    For a country with a reputation as drinkers, we have a extremely good record when it comes to drink driving from teens to old.
    If anyone wanted to stop drunk driving, they could just reinstall the 18th amendment, which banned alcohol.

Problem solved.

It would be very funny to see how ppl would react to this

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigorangekitty's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheJailbreakGenius View Post
    If anyone wanted to stop drunk driving, they could just reinstall the 18th amendment, which banned alcohol.

Problem solved.

It would be very funny to see how ppl would react to this
    VERY TRUE... i pose this question:
    Where would all the politicians and lawyers get their alcohol? Wouldn't it also put a dent in their wallet as far as lobbyist, kickbacks and so forth?

I got your point though :-)