+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Opposition Mounting Against Reelection of Steve Jobs to Disney Board

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The Magic Kingdom isn't so welcoming to Apple CEO Steve Jobs these days thanks to a stronghold of organized labor leaders actively opposing Jobs' reelection to the board of directors
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Opposition Mounting Against Reelection of Steve Jobs to Disney Board

The Magic Kingdom isn't so welcoming to Apple CEO Steve Jobs these days thanks to a stronghold of organized labor leaders actively opposing Jobs' reelection to the board of directors at Disney. Tomorrow in Salt Lake City, Utah, the Walt Disney Company will hold its annual meeting. Ahead of the gathering, the labor union federation AFL-CIO, which holds close to four million Disney shares, opposes the reelection of Jobs to the venerable company's board of directors.

Jobs currently holds more than 7% of Disney’s stock and has served as a director of the company since 2006.

According to labor leaders, Jobs' intensive full-time responsibilities as CEO and lengthy record of tardiness (largely due to his medical condition) are being presented as reasons to oppose Jobs' reelection. Making matters worse for Jobs is the similar opinion held by shareholder advisory firm Institutional Shareholder Services, which also cites the mogul's shabby attendance at Disney board meetings as a potential indication that he is unfit for the post.
    ISS, which advises large institutional holders on proxy matters, wrote that it generally considers illness to be a valid explanation for director absences.
    “Jobs’ poor attendance in three of the past four years, and recent leave of absence from his primary employer, raises questions about his ability to fulfill his responsibilities as a director of the company,” ISS declared in a formal recommendation to shareholders, although no definitive anti-Jobs vote was advised. All told, Wednesday's shareholder meeting will likely be an interesting one as both voices of support and opposition for Jobs' return will certainly clash.

It isn't yet known if Jobs himself will be in attendance.

Source: LA Times
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 03-22-2011 at 07:29 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone xerray's Avatar
    Thanks

Hahaha!!! Picture win!!!
    It Takes One To Know One

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm glad to see people are self centered assholes is the corporate world aswell as the consumer world.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob2G For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (03-23-2011), plcrules (03-22-2011)

Thanks

Right on the bulls-eye. ^

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    I'm glad to see people are self centered assholes is the corporate world aswell as the consumer world.
    He will eventually be forced to resign.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's only right that they don't want him re-elected. He's a sick man and if he can't be a working CEO for Apple, then you can be sure he's focusing significantly less on Pixar and Disney. A board of directors needs healthy members. He'll still have his 50% stake of Pixar and high 7% stake of Disney, he just won't be on the board, which is a good thing for Pixar, Disney, Apple and Steve considering his ailing health.

“Jobs’ poor attendance in three of the past four years, and recent leave of absence from his primary employer, raises questions about his ability to fulfill his responsibilities as a director of the company,”
    That is a completely valid statement. No one is being self centered.
    If anything Steve Jobs is the self centered one. Yes, he's sick, but that doesn't give you a free pass on your job or responsibilities. He clearly cannot juggle both Apple and Pixar anymore and one needs to go.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 03-22-2011 at 07:20 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

jasvncnt10 (03-23-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

yea i mean when he is in great health i am sure he is more than capable of working his post but for now he might have to leave it to someone else
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Thanks

Unbelievable that a so called MMI "Staff Writer" should ridicule Steve Jobs in such a fashion where we all know that he's fighting an illness that has killed so many (I've lost my Wife, Mother, Mother-in-Law & Father-in-Law to cancer).

This thread should be withdrawn as should Essany!

My iPhone is a Part of Me desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

This is clearly a boardroom power grab.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    It's only right that they don't want him re-elected. He's a sick man and if he can't be a working CEO for Apple, then you can be sure he's focusing significantly less on Pixar and Disney. A board of directors needs healthy members. He'll still have his 50% stake of Pixar and high 7% stake of Disney, he just won't be on the board, which is a good thing for Pixar, Disney, Apple and Steve considering his ailing health.

That is a completely valid statement. No one is being self centered.
    If anything Steve Jobs is the self centered one. Yes, he's sick, but that doesn't give you a free pass on your job or responsibilities. He clearly cannot juggle both Apple and Pixar anymore and one needs to go.
    Perfect response. This is exactly, exactly what I was thinking. However, Steve Jobs is no longer a 50% shareholder of Pixar considering the acquisition. That was merged for him to retain the 7% shareholder of Disney and obtain a seat at the board of directors.

Quote Originally Posted by iGuy View Post
    Unbelievable that a so called MMI "Staff Writer" should ridicule Steve Jobs in such a fashion where we all know that he's fighting an illness that has killed so many (I've lost my Wife, Mother, Mother-in-Law & Father-in-Law to cancer).

You're an idiot. Read the quoted reply above this, and make a rational response.
    Last edited by Reako; 03-22-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks

I doubt Steve is worried about Disney, he & his family have obviously more pressing issues to worry about than the Disney board room.

But why post a picture of Steve Jobs on here in your bloody Mickey Mouse ears? Surely we should all be wishing him well? As I said, unbelievable, especially for someone who is meant to be promoting this site.

By the way, I have no qualms about you calling me an "idiot". You maybe didn't understand what I was trying to say!
    Last edited by iGuy; 03-22-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I wish Steve well, but I do think he should probably voluntarily have stepped down when he had to take his first leave of absence from Apple. After all, if he couldn't do that, how could he be doing his job at Disney as well?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

I can see someone wanting him to step down because of his illness and an inability to do that specific job, but what's up with the unions? Why are they spearheading this and what do they get out of it?

Power? They want to elect one of their own for bargaining rights?

If there's one force in America I distrust most it's unions. They always, always act in their own self-interests (like a parasite they often overwhelm their host).

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

5h4d0w (03-23-2011), holygamer22 (03-23-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

If he can't physically do it then he can't physically do it. That's it.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reako View Post
    Perfect response. This is exactly, exactly what I was thinking. However, Steve Jobs is no longer a 50% shareholder of Pixar considering the acquisition. That was merged for him to retain the 7% shareholder of Disney and obtain a seat at the board of directors.

You're an idiot. Read the quoted reply above this, and make a rational response.
    No need to call anyone an idiot.

I can see if individuals on their own didn't think he was capable of doing some good right now but it sounds like they're trying to gang up on him which is not right!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

Rob2G (03-23-2011)

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reako View Post
    Yeh you shouldn't call someone an idiiot on MMi as you'll get infracted like me with 2 infractions already and one of a permaban

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I doubt Steve is worried about Disney, he & his family have obviously more pressing issues to worry about than the Disney board room.

But why post a picture of Steve Jobs on here in your bloody Mickey Mouse ears? Surely we should all be wishing him well? As I said, unbelievable, especially for someone who is meant to be promoting this site.

By the way, I have no qualms about you calling me an "idiot". You maybe didn't understand what I was trying to say!
    Don't be so overly sensitive. No one was making fun of his illness, in fact, his cancer wasn't even mentioned. It's a funny picture, get over it. I'm sorry you've lost people to that disease, but that doesn't mean you should lose your sense of humor as well.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Thanks

What?? He is just reporting a story about Steve. Just because you don't agree with it or because it isn't a story where someone is kissing Steve's ***** doesn't mean it should be removed.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

wow, he is not ridiculeing him! not once in that article does it say "I, Mr. Essany want S. Jobs off that board and he should never be late to a meeting!" I also have lost my Grandma x2 Grandpa, an aunt and countless family friends to cancer! don't you dare use it as an excuse to hate on messany!!!!!! Using your family like that is pathetic!!!!!!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coolguy742 For This Useful Post:

holygamer22 (03-23-2011), jasvncnt10 (03-23-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

Damn. Look on the bright side Jobs will have less stress to deal with. This could be better for him in the long run.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to tudtran For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (03-23-2011)