+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Chief Steve Jobs Ordered to 'Answer Questions' in iTunes Antitrust Suit

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by IXAdamOwnzXI Stop brainlessly siding with Apple. Typical fanboy. This is a legitimate concern. I purchased the music. Its MY copy. I should be able to play it
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IXAdamOwnzXI View Post
    Stop brainlessly siding with Apple. Typical fanboy. This is a legitimate concern. I purchased the music. Its
    MY copy. I should be able to play it on whatever MP3 device I choose. Not only Apples. This is typical Apple tactics that need to be put to a stop. They can't be allowed to carry on these controlling tactics they are so accustomed to. Also you say "to stop crying and being a baby". It's a class action suit which means that quite a few people have a problem with this.

However this isn't relevant to me because I don't purchase any of my music. All the bands I pirate, I see them in concert.

Lol at the guy above who said he paid >500 for his music

You're a fanboy too to a certain extent if you have an apple product and on this site. I know I'm a fangirl.

And I think we should be able to have cross compatibility with our devices. I'd love to use iTunes with mp3 players.

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Most, if not all, music bought from iTunes now doesn't have any DRM. So it can be played on any device that can play AAC. And if that device doesn't play AAC, iTunes gives you a very easy option to convert to MP3.
    iPods/iPhones/iPads also play all the common file formats.
    That's true for music now, but I still have many songs that are DRM'd, and don't feel I should have to pay Apple more to remove the DRM. Doesn't the sound lose quality when converted to MP3?

Also, I have a decent collection of TV shows on iTunes as well, which do still have DRM. I don't buy movies from iTunes for just this reason. I want to play them where I want, not where Apple wants. Plus, I'd rather get a better quality picture/sound on Blu-Ray; especially considering that for $25 you can get super-packs with BR, DVD, AND an iTunes copy, all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by IXAdamOwnzXI View Post
    Lol at the guy above who said he paid >500 for his music
    You're not worth my time, you're just a petty thief, no matter how you want to try and justify it.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    That's true for music now, but I still have many songs that are DRM'd, and don't feel I should have to pay Apple more to remove the DRM. Doesn't the sound lose quality when converted to MP3?
    iTunes actually can strip DRM itself. All you need to do is burn your DRM tracks as an audio CD, then use iTunes to re-rip them and they'll be void of any DRM. Yes, this requires a stack of CD's, but they are dirt cheap and you could probably use CD-RW too. There's bound to be some easy and free DRM striping tool out there too that would do the job without burning CD's
    AAC and MP3 are both lossy audio compression formats so there should be no difference in quality between the two.

Also, I have a decent collection of TV shows on iTunes as well, which do still have DRM. I don't buy movies from iTunes for just this reason. I want to play them where I want, not where Apple wants. Plus, I'd rather get a better quality picture/sound on Blu-Ray; especially considering that for $25 you can get super-packs with BR, DVD, AND an iTunes copy, all at once.
    The Video DRM would annoy me more than music DRM, if I bought video from iTunes. iTunes Tv Shows and Movies just aren't of sufficient quality for my liking either. But I do figure that the movie/tv studios will be harder to convince to let go of DRM than the music studios

Thanks

to me this ruling is Pointless. I've owned Motorola MP3 Players, I've owns Scan Disk, and I have a NUMEROUS Music Accounts from Napster to RealNet, to Amazon, it all works for me.
    It is Not by our Hands that things Change, BUT rather our Interventions that change ourselves.

Chris iPhone5 16GB(Evasion Jailbreak
    iPad Mini 16GB, Apple TV 3rd Gen
    )
    Mac Mini (2012 Model) Running Mavericks
    Cydia Account #895872

Banned
    Thanks

nice! how do i post a thread?

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

You have these practices all over. Apple is not the only company doing this.

How is it any different that I go buy a game for Xbox but now I'm angry that it won't work in my PS3?

iBooks supports ePub eBooks from any source. Just drag em into iTunes. Do Kindle books work in iBooks? Probably not considering that Amazon made a specific app for Kindle. It would be Amazon to blame for their ebooks not being compatible with iBooks, why should Apple allow their books on Kindle, if Amazon doesn't allow their books in iBooks. It's Amazons prerogative to make the Kindle app for iOS, can't blame Apple for creating a very popular platform.

I agree with your point on movies and tv shows DRM, but remember, if there's anyone who loves DRM more than the music industry, it's the movie industry. Is there a digital store for movies and tv shows without DRM?
    I partially agree with you, and yes, the console wars are similar except for the fact that they're sold as closed platforms more than Apple's iPad. Nobody expects a PS3 game to work on an xbox. However Amazon's kindle app not working on an iPad in the future (irrelevant at the moment as it currently does work, and let me view kindle ebooks on my iPad) it is 100% the fault of Apple, not Amazon. Belive me, if Amazon was the source of the problem I would be equally upset with them.

The problem for me is Apple deciding who can and can not be on their platform based on how much money the various content providers can afford to pay them. There are several industries (streaming music, video, and the whole ebook industry) that have developed business models based around the 3% cc merchant fees being an acceptable loss. Apple has recently said that unless your business model can support that 3% tax being raised to 30%, you're no longer welcome in their ecosystem. That's what I have a problem with, as it will directly make my device less usable to me, as several industries simply can not take a 30% revenue hit and stay profitable.

That's the main reason I have interest in this 7 year old case. Any decision and removes Apple's ability to anti-competitively cripple my device is a step in the right direction.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

iTunes actually can strip DRM itself. All you need to do is burn your DRM tracks as an audio CD, then use iTunes to re-rip them and they'll be void of any DRM. Yes, this requires a stack of CD's, but they are dirt cheap and you could probably use CD-RW too. There's bound to be some easy and free DRM striping tool out there too that would do the job without burning CD's
    AAC and MP3 are both lossy audio compression formats so there should be no difference in quality between the two.

The Video DRM would annoy me more than music DRM, if I bought video from iTunes. iTunes Tv Shows and Movies just aren't of sufficient quality for my liking either. But I do figure that the movie/tv studios will be harder to convince to let go of DRM than the music studios
    I've thought of the whole ITunes - CD - iTunes thing, but that IS a loss of quality, and VERY time consuming. Then there's the issue of formatting it again: Album art, track names, album names, artist, etc... Doesn't that all have to be redone manually? I think it does, and then there's doubles... I HATE doubles, lol.

Yes, I could have fixed it, but I own an iPhone, so so I couldn't be bothered, lol. If I ever switch to another phone though, then I might have an issue with it. It's the principle of the matter really, but I don't complain about it because I knew the stakes when I clicked purchase. I'll not be joining this suit, if it goes anywhere.
    It's where you are.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

This sounds like a poor excuse to get money. I've never had any problem playing music anywhere, whether it has to (very easily) be converted within iTunes or not. You choose to download this stuff based on Apple's terms. That doesn't make them responsible because you don't like the terms that you agreed to. And honestly, if you have an iPod/iPhone, do you REALLY need to play these songs on a crappy wma player as well?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krosis View Post
    The problem for me is Apple deciding who can and can not be on their platform based on how much money the various content providers can afford to pay them. There are several industries (streaming music, video, and the whole ebook industry) that have developed business models based around the 3% cc merchant fees being an acceptable loss. Apple has recently said that unless your business model can support that 3% tax being raised to 30%, you're no longer welcome in their ecosystem. That's what I have a problem with, as it will directly make my device less usable to me, as several industries simply can not take a 30% revenue hit and stay profitable.
    Ah you're not really looking at what your getting for that 30%.
    You get a tried and trusted marketplace with an install base of millions.
    You don't have hosting costs or distribution costs.

If you have an ebook or an album (cos they're not really platform dependent like apps) and you want to sell it.

You can
    a)set up your own website(cost),
    set up a shopping cart system (cost),
    pay transaction fees (cost),
    advertise your website (cost)

or you can b)
    Submit your product to Apple

From what I've read, app developers have no problems with the 30%. Don't know authors or music artists opinions (cept Bon Jovi )

Thanks

Considering the fact that I have an iTunes collection that cost me well north of $500, this is welcome news.

I would love it if I could play my music on any device. I don't think it is a monopoly question though. You can buy most iTunes music from other places, and the iPod plays most formats. iTunes will also let you import music from outside the iTunes store.

If the court rules this a "monopoly," then it could set a precedent which forces Apple to write it's software (I mean more than Safari, iTunes, and QT) for outside hardware. The days of Mac OS not running on PCs may be numbered.
    ever heard of PsyStar?!?
    iPhone 4 16 GB + iMac 24" 2.9GHz + MBP 13" 2,2GHZ = AAPL 4 EVAAAA!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I've thought of the whole ITunes - CD - iTunes thing, but that IS a loss of quality, and VERY time consuming. Then there's the issue of formatting it again: Album art, track names, album names, artist, etc... Doesn't that all have to be redone manually? I think it does, and then there's doubles... I HATE doubles, lol.
    iTunes -> File -> Display Duplicates
    It's been a while since I burned a CD but I'm pretty sure you can burn the CD with all the names. Not the artwork, but because they have the right names, you can just scan for artwork and it'll find it online.
    If the files are AAC (which purchased iTune songs are) then burning them to CD and re-ripping them back to AAC using the same bitrate etc (non-DRM) wouldn't lose quality. Or am I wrong on that?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    why not...they don't have to provide functionality as long as they don't prohibit it...big difference.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prazer View Post
    why not...they don't have to provide functionality as long as they don't prohibit it...big difference.
    What?
    Apple don't provide the function to sync third party mp3 players in iTunes. But by not providing this function they are prohibiting that function.
    Your comment makes no sense.

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Ah you're not really looking at what your getting for that 30%.
    You get a tried and trusted marketplace with an install base of millions.
    You don't have hosting costs or distribution costs.

If you have an ebook or an album (cos they're not really platform dependent like apps) and you want to sell it.

You can
    a)set up your own website(cost),
    set up a shopping cart system (cost),
    pay transaction fees (cost),
    advertise your website (cost)

or you can b)
    Submit your product to Apple

From what I've read, app developers have no problems with the 30%. Don't know authors or music artists opinions (cept Bon Jovi )
    Oh, I recognize that for most app developers Apple's app store is much more attractive than traditional distribution methods (I'm a software developer myself).

My problem is with Apple demanding a 30% cut of any money made for any service related to an App, regardless if they actually provide any resources to that service or not, and also requiring the lowest price for that service. Some business simply don't make 30% profit, and are thus being forced off of iOS because they can't afford the Apple tax (which seems to have a whole new meaning now). Rhapsody has already stated they will be leaving, and though they haven't stated it publicly yet, I can tell you that Netflix and Amazon are in the same problem.

It didn't bother me as much when Apple's stubbornness only limited featurs, which I could fix by jailbreaking and installing tweaks. Now they're trying to expunge entire services, and I'm powerless to fix that. This still feels kind of surreal, and I can't believe that Apple is really neutering their platform like this, but we'll see what happens come this summer when the changes become mandatory.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

If apple hadn't done this, securing music rights would've been very difficult...

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Boo-hoo some one call the wahmbulance
    Bottom line if you want to use iTunes use an idevice. They are the best on the market anyway. Real media can cry all they want about their proprietary format Not running on iPods etc. But when it comes down to it the are just ******** because they are failing.

All this anti trust crap is companies crying "boohoo apple is dominating such and such market because they keep making products appealing to the consumer and we are loosing money. It's not fair please mr. Or mrs. judge make them accommodate us so we can mooch off their growing market share". Its the same damn sob story everytime some one throws these damn anti trust suits at apple for the iPods iPhones iPads and apple computers not supporting other companies dying products. It's just a fit thrown into a court room.
    Last edited by Rob2G; 03-23-2011 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob2G For This Useful Post:

xXxG0dzRAgexXx (03-23-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me gdd2010's Avatar
    in a barred spiral galaxy on the Cepheus-Draco border
    Thanks

Dont forget, DRM is usually a requirement by the originator of the product... The e-book, game (usually system specific and can only run on the device for which it is coded for) require DRM so that it may not be pirated to multiple devices.... makes complete sense.
    I think apple, upon removing DRM from music purchases, put the kabosh on this years ago and this case shouldn't hold any water.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

iTunes -> File -> Display Duplicates
    It's been a while since I burned a CD but I'm pretty sure you can burn the CD with all the names. Not the artwork, but because they have the right names, you can just scan for artwork and it'll find it online.
    If the files are AAC (which purchased iTune songs are) then burning them to CD and re-ripping them back to AAC using the same bitrate etc (non-DRM) wouldn't lose quality. Or am I wrong on that?
    I know how to display duplicates. I still hate them.

Any time you take a song and compress it, you permanently lose quality. There are bits that get chopped off, and therefore save file space.

•Song purchased on a service: already compressed (doesn't matter format)
    •Song then transfered to CD: sounds good, but not as good as a new CD would sound, usually not a big enough difference to warrant concern.
    •Song ripped back into service: you are now re-compressing that song, effectively cutting off twice the number of bits as a song compressed only once.

Burning a song to CD can't get that missing data back, it was thrown out to save space.
    It's where you are.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    This sounds like a poor excuse to get money. I've never had any problem playing music anywhere, whether it has to (very easily) be converted within iTunes or not. You choose to download this stuff based on Apple's terms. That doesn't make them responsible because you don't like the terms that you agreed to. And honestly, if you have an iPod/iPhone, do you REALLY need to play these songs on a crappy wma player as well?
    Do I NEED to? No.
    Do I WANT to? Yes.

I'd rather burn a disc with a couple hundred songs and use the CD player in my car, than have to fiddle with my iPhone while I'm driving.

I could get a newer stereo, but that's another $800+ I don't want to spend.

And don't suggest a cheap-@$$ radio either... If I'm going to do something, I do it right. My car deserves better than a Sony Xploder.
    It's where you are.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djnikk View Post
    ever heard of PsyStar?!?
    No.
    It's where you are.