Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple May Finally Unveil Revamped MobileMe Next Month

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple May Finally Unveil Revamped MobileMe Next Month

Late last month, MobileMe went AWOL from Apple's online store. Almost instantly, we began hearing that Apple allegedly started telling third-party resellers that they discontinued the $99 boxed versions of MobileMe. For several days leading up to the iPad 2 unveiling, many believed - ultimately in error - that Apple was poised to re-introduce a revamped version of MobileMe.

However, we may soon learn that it was only our timing that was off, not our suspicion about Apple's big plans for MobileMe. According to a new report from iLounge, someone regarded as a credible source at a prominent educational institution says "the school’s supplier has said the current version of MobileMe is no longer available, and that Apple is suggesting new students sign up for the 60-day trial to cover the gap between the final MobileMe shipment and the launch of the new version."

In addition, the source was told that Apple will be supporting the existing version of MobileMe for the next year, suggesting that the new version will be quite different from the existing service; the extra year of support would likely cover those who recently paid for a full year of MobileMe
    Although we've been hearing for weeks that Apple is believed to be readying MobileMe as a free service rooted in cloud-based digital lockers for one's multimedia, it now appears that the "free" part is a little less certain than it once was.

Source: iLounge

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

turkey26 (03-18-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

'Free' is the only part that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    'Free' is the only part that matters.
    Yup

Can't wait I miss my mobile me
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Rrriiiigghhhtt Apple will offer something free. I'm looking forward to the update!

Why would FREE be the only part that matters? Seriously... developers have to make a living too... its okay to charge a fee if the service makes your life easier.

I have been paying for mobile me for about 3 years now.. and I feel that it is worth every penny. My wife and I have our contacts and calendars sync'd over the air...

The gallery is just wonderful for sharing the photos of the kids with the whole family...

Nikon to Mac (via lightroom if you need to really touch them) and then into iphoto.. a couple clicks later, there is a new album and the rss feed updates everyone.

Would you go out to your job and work every day for free?

I think not!

I for one am excited to see what apple has in store for mobile me's future.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sircutbreaker For This Useful Post:

Asaphprod (03-19-2011), moon#pie (03-18-2011), pwally (03-18-2011), VaderForce (03-18-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by sircutbreaker View Post
    Why would FREE be the only part that matters? Seriously... developers have to make a living too... its okay to charge a fee if the service makes your life easier.

I have been paying for mobile me for about 3 years now.. and I feel that it is worth every penny. My wife and I have our contacts and calendars sync'd over the air...

The gallery is just wonderful for sharing the photos of the kids with the whole family...

Nikon to Mac (via lightroom if you need to really touch them) and then into iphoto.. a couple clicks later, there is a new album and the rss feed updates everyone.

I think not!

Thank you. Someone how truly understands how businesses actually have to be run. It's no Cuba, people.

That being said, free is awesome.

Twitter: @tshoults

If they really do ending up allowing access to iTunes store music/video purchases to re-download whenever the urge strikes, I would be willing to pay the $99 directly to Apple rather than getting it off amazon for a significant discount, since all I use it for now is keeping contacts, calanders & notes updated so I don't have to worry about them whenever I have to restore for a new jailbreak. I used to use it for cloud storage, but decided to go with dropbox as it's free (for the amount of data I need backed up) and it works on Windows as well. The implementation on Windows for MobileMe sucks...A lot.

YES! now i can help my friend find his stolen ipod once and for all
    Im eman297

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

But I like free...

Quote Originally Posted by eman297 View Post
    Find My iPhone for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Twitter: @tshoults

mine is up next month and I've been contemplating whether or not I wanna renew or go with gmail....hmmm this could be interesting.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

A buddy of mine who works for Apple told me it will most likely be free and they are developing a way to basically have your entire OSx on 1 device(Apple) and you can load your device to any other Apple device.

So basically you have your OSx on your iPhone saved.. and then you can go to ANY Macbook or whatever and load your settings.

Sounds promising. If this happens then I definitely want a 64GB iPhone lol

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Would be nice!

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Westerman View Post
    Can't wait I miss my mobile me
    I still have mine... If you have a subscription you still have the service. Re-sync if you bought a new idevice. Worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by eman297 View Post
    You can do that now.
    Last edited by kuhndsn; 03-18-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds pretty good.

Ahhhh Microsoft exchange plus drop box equals free, and more important if I somehow forget to pay apple or decide to do away with the service. My calendar, contacts and notes are backed up with google, which will never go away, the wife and me share the calendar and are synced with exchange. Apple needs to offer more on the table with the MobileMe app 99 bucks a year is a good price but when you can get it for free an never have to worry that's $98.999 to much.IMO!!
    Last edited by Teban; 03-19-2011 at 07:42 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sircutbreaker View Post

I think not!

Have you forgotten that this is Apple, and not developers like those who work on Cydia? No one at Apple is working for free. Trust me. There is such a thing as context. Comparing my minimum wage job to services that Apple provides for their high spending customers is ridiculous.
    Other companies offer very similar services for free, by the way.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont know why people always think mobile me should be free, Its a service thats not required to use your apple products. Its an extra service that should be paid for. Why should apple have to offer this service for free and pay to maintain it because some people are cheap? "Other Companies offer very SIMILAR services for free" they dont integrate with all my apple products like mobile me does, All the people who like to say apple is wrong by charging when other places give similar services free then use the other services no body is making you use mobile me.
    [SIGPIC]

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob2G For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (03-19-2011), VaderForce (03-20-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast