Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Banana TV App Delivers iOS to Mac Video Streaming

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Banana TV App Delivers iOS to Mac Video Streaming

One of the coolest offerings we've seen in a while is now available courtesy of developer Erica Sadun, who brings to us Banana TV from her beta AirFlick software. Thanks to Erica, we now have the awesome ability to reverse the AirPlay pathway and play video clips (or images) from your favorite iDevice (iPad, iPhone, iPod touch running iOS 4.2 of higher) right to your networked Mac. As it was succinctly summarized by MMi sometime ago during Erica's development of Banana TV, "your Mac is now a big Apple TV."

While you probably have most of the same content on your computer that you have on your iDevice, it's a great way to show videos on a bigger screen when visiting friends or family; it also opens up AirPlay streaming from iOS devices your friends or colleagues have with them, even without an Apple TV (at the office, for example).
    It works every bit as well (and fast) in real life as it does in the demo video, which is always a good thing. Best of all, the practicality of this tool is immense. After all, most of us have been in myriad situations where we've wanted to present on a larger screen that which we have on our mobile iDevice. So Banana TV has already scored just by delivering a valuable functionality that will certainly get some serious mileage out of its users.

To find out what's so "appealing" - pun intended - about Banana TV, or to try it out for yourself ($7.99), be sure to visit the official home of Banana TV by clicking here.

Source: Banana TV

(Full disclosure - yes, ModMyi is helping with the launch of Banana TV - note the video is on Kyle Matthews' Vimeo account. )

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

:-)

Cool. I don't have an Apple tv so the air play never interested me.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Very nice, although I'm not sure how often I'd actually use it.

Very cool. I would like it for PC hopefullly in the works. As I and a lot o people have there pc or mac's hooked up to there TV's. There for no need for the atv. Im looking forward to the future of this app.

Looks great.

Side note, why in earth did you put that horrid UI theme on your phone?

What video camera and editing software did u use Kyle ? I love the crispiness of the vid !
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,808 Times in 1,228 Posts

z3r01 - 5D.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

Interesting...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Matthews View Post
    z3r01 - 5D.
    Not too shabby Kyle

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Love the video, very Apple-esque! BTV looks nice as well

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Love the video, very Apple-esque! BTV looks nice as well
    Yes indeed.

Bought it already, just in time. I nedded to make a project for my science class, A+ for sure now.

Awesome
    Last edited by javiert30; 03-19-2011 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Personally can see no use for this. All my media is already on my macmini with hdmi connected tv. If a file is on my iphone or ipad it probably came from the macmini in the first place. If not it is not exactly difficult to transfer it there. Everything on the mini streams to macbook pro and iphone with PLEX.

That's pretty sweet! I showed my GF now she's wondering if there's such a thing for the Evo? Does anyone know if it exists?

Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
    Personally can see no use for this. All my media is already on my macmini with hdmi connected tv. If a file is on my iphone or ipad it probably came from the macmini in the first place. If not it is not exactly difficult to transfer it there. Everything on the mini streams to macbook pro and iphone with PLEX.
    For the most part, I can see your point. However, since you're using your mac mini as an HTPC, wouldn't there be a time that you shot a video on your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch that you instantly want to show everyone on your TV?

iPhone? More like MyPhone ro0oney's Avatar
    Thanks

nice app cant wait to try it

Doesn't anyone else think it bizarre that they used a fruit in the title... sound familiar??? Apple TV... Banana TV... busted!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ro0oney's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phillphill View Post
    Doesn't anyone else think it bizarre that they used a fruit in the title... sound familiar??? Apple TV... Banana TV... busted!
    lol didn't notice but it is something