+ Reply
Page 1 of 12 123 11 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sony Granted Access to Two Years of Geohot's PayPal Records

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
On March 5th, we reported that Federal Magistrate Joseph Spero officially authorized Sony to subpoena Geohot's web provider to secure the official log of IP addresses that visited GeoHot.com between
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Sony Granted Access to Two Years of Geohot's PayPal Records

On March 5th, we reported that Federal Magistrate Joseph Spero officially authorized Sony to subpoena Geohot's web provider to secure the official log of IP addresses that visited GeoHot.com between January 2009 and early 2011. In addition to Sony being given access to this information, the PS3 maker is about to delve even deeper into Geohot's personal records. This week Sony was also granted access rights to all of Geohot's PayPal records for 2009, 2010, and even January of 2011.

The reason Sony was given access to Geohot's personal PayPal log is the same reason the company was similarly handed all of the other data it requested. According to Sony, the information will help determine whether the company should sue George "Geohot" Hotz in New Jersey or San Francisco. NJ is Geohot's home state, but San Francisco is where his jailbreak files were allegedly most downloaded (plus, San Francisco is also close to Sony headquarters and a trial close to home would be nice).

If you're scratching your head on this one, you're not alone. After all, Sony is looking into more than 24 months of PayPal records even though the primary hack they're upset about is only a few months old. Nonetheless, even on the heels of Sony's latest over-the-top effort to publicly embarrass Geohot in front of the entire jailbreaking community, few are expressing outrage over Sony's ability to acquire this relatively sensitive information all for the sake of "making an example" out of a lone 21-year-old hacker.

Source: Geohot, Case Docket, Register

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (03-19-2011), reaves205 (03-17-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Wow. I really do not know what to say. I will try to donate more to him, he is going to need it.

Thanks

Damn, they really want to stick it to GeoHot.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh wow totally agree. F U Sony !

Green Apple
    Thanks

They probably need to see what his receiving pattern was before the incident so they can see what the differences are with the addition of their stuff. It'd be unfair to say "Everything for the past 3 months was donated because of the Sony exploit."

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

**** Sony!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Yea this battle is not turning out to well. Sony has found the right judge to start kicking around orders.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

This is getting soo ridiculous, it just blows my mind. Just leave the guy alone and let us do what we will to the devices we bought!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

PeezaPi (03-17-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

What a crock!

Gainesville, FL (The Swamp, only Gators get out ALIVE!!)
    Thanks

And the big bully starts to flex his muscles on the playground .... sucks......

Thanks

Screw Sony. I'm too broke to help poor geohot, but I will boycott Sony. I will avoid them like the plague. Anyone who cares about this should, and even those who don't care specifically about this case, but do care about their right to do what they want with their own devices.
    No sig spam | @MikeBeas

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MC SE7EN For This Useful Post:

an82mustang (03-17-2011), lightmaster (03-17-2011), redwolf (03-17-2011)

Thanks

It is hard to do that because Sony has a lot of products. And they have a lot of lisences to stuff to. So their hands are in a lot of places to do a full on boycott.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    It is hard to do that because Sony has a lot of products. And they have a lot of lisences to stuff to. So their hands are in a lot of places to do a full on boycott.
    Doesn't bother me. If I know Sony can profit, I'll stop supporting that product. Movies, games, other hardware, whatever.
    No sig spam | @MikeBeas

Thanks

This case better go to SCOTUS whereupon Sony receives a nice, firm kick in the grundle.

Unfortunately, even if George got the assistance from a top-tier lawfirm, he'll probably still get the stuffing kicked out of him in District court, because Sony's loaded /and/ doing everything in their power to keep the case in NorCal (and the court obliges them at every turn).

Serious question, have either the Magistrate or the District Judge actually denied a Sony motion yet? How about amended a plaintiff's motion before enacting it?

I call shenanigans, peremptory challenge, and time to hit the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth/Third Circuit/SCOTUS.
    Last edited by Orby; 03-16-2011 at 11:47 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sounds like the judge is being paid off.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hxclos For This Useful Post:

PuppyPR (03-17-2011), Wilbourn (03-17-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

If u were on his site and downloaded the fiel can they see where u are and sue u? Or anything like that? I downloaded it but never used it cuz i didnt see any cool tweaks at the time. So im ofw

Thanks

They requested to have the IPs of every person that downloaded it. But the problem with that is ISPs change your IPs every so often. But many keep record of who had what IP at what time so they could still come back to you.

Will Sony go after that many people. I don't know but wouldn't put it past them.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Now that's some bs. Sony has taking this way to far. I am still tryin to figure out what he did wrong. He jailbroke his own purchased device voided warranty and did what he wanted to it. I don't see a problem he didnt steal anything. If Sony was smart they would hire him to find exploits and close them for security.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

He even offered to the 3 gaming console companies to come on and help secure the consoles.

Green Apple
    Thanks

No more Sony products for me.