Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple TV Software Fix in the Works

Default Apple TV Software Fix in the Works

Apple Insider is reporting that Apple is preparing a small software update for the Apple TV that will alleviate screen flickering issues for many users have reported from the 4.2 update (which is actually a build of iOS 4.3).

Apple support confirmed that they are "aware of the issues caused by the latest update," but there is no current timeframe for the update's release. The problem seems to be isolated to older high definition TVs from many major brands, including Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung. The issue appears on these televisions regardless of direct HDMI connections or HDMI to DVI connections, and has to do with televisions that are capable of correctly displaying 1080i, and not 720p, the Apple TVs output.

The 4.2 software update for Apple TV (2nd Gen) added MLB and NBA live game streaming, and support for AirPlay on iOS 4.3 devices. It also added Dolby Digital 5.1 sound for Netflix.

Source:
    Apple Insider
    Last edited by Matt Savoca; 03-16-2011 at 12:26 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Savoca For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011)

Thanks

Too bad I don't have an apple tv..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mmaboi21 For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011)

well im updating to this one now, but im good since i haz a new hdtv
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Why is Netflix not available on the Australian AppleTV?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UiK For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011), VaderForce (03-15-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UiK View Post
    Why is Netflix not available on the Australian AppleTV?
    Read the article, hopefully that helps.

Edit- Sorry I linked the wrong one, THIS is the right one.
    Last edited by steve-z17; 03-15-2011 at 05:22 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011)

My Apple TV isn't playing Hulu videos anymore idk why

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hxclos For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011)

How were you watching Hulu?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Delerowen For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011)

The better question is, why the hell would you, or anyone for that matter, want to watch Hulu LOL

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jbardi For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

How about you guys fix the God awful streaming issues while you're at it. A video shouldn't have considerably more buffer time than play time.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDirtyDiddler For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    The better question is, why the hell would you, or anyone for that matter, want to watch Hulu LOL
    Are you stupid? You obviously don't have a jailbroken Apple TV so stfu and listen. You can watch any show without commercials for free, that's why. Notice I said no commercials and FREE! This isn't HULU Plus, which charges you a monthly fee. Hell, this isn't even the original Hulu that has those annoying commercials. Don't ask me how or why but that's what I have only now since the new update, xbmc crashes a lot and Hulu doesn't want to play. They must have figured out how to block it.

And for the record, I have a Hulu Plus subscription. I just never had to login on my Apple TV.
    Last edited by hxclos; 03-15-2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I use both Netflix and Hulu Plus

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I use both Netflix and Hulu Plus
    Same, I enjoy both.

Ditto to that too. The combo of them two I was able to cancel my cable. Hulu for current shows and netflix for back catalog.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Great Apple is on top of it !

Quote Originally Posted by hxclos View Post
    Are you stupid? You obviously don't have a jailbroken Apple TV so stfu and listen. You can watch any show without commercials for free, that's why. Notice I said no commercials and FREE! This isn't HULU Plus, which charges you a monthly fee. Hell, this isn't even the original Hulu that has those annoying commercials. Don't ask me how or why but that's what I have only now since the new update, xbmc crashes a lot and Hulu doesn't want to play. They must have figured out how to block it.

And for the record, I have a Hulu Plus subscription. I just never had to login on my Apple TV.
    hmmm you had a JB apple TV 2gen and you were able to watch hulu on it but now that you updated your apple TV you no longer can.
    Would this be because your apple tv is no longer JB?? I mean it is an idevice and just like any other once you update you loose your JB automatically. So maybe just JB it again??

I really don't know I've tried JB my apple tv 2gen but I can't seem to get the damn thing in DFU mode so I just gave up.

Anyone who has a jailbroken devices and updates right away is a brainless fool. You deserve to have your precious hulu taken away.
    Peace out to the homeboys puffin on the hydro

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    How about you guys fix the God awful streaming issues while you're at it. A video shouldn't have considerably more buffer time than play time.
    If you have buffer issues, and you are on a wireless network, you may want to upgrade to 802.11n if you haven't already or hardwire. I have had problems a couple times and it is almost always a network issue.

This Apple TV update broke my AirVideoEnabler capability. I am sorry I upgraded because I had nothing to gain by doing it.

I just picked up my first ATV2 last week and haven't updated to 4.2 yet. I am going to jailbreak it just so I can get hulu on it. Can someone confirm that the following link is the best/only way to get hulu once I finish with the JB? How to Watch Hulu on Apple TV 2