+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve Jobs Blasted by Rocker Jon Bon Jovi

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Steve Jobs Blasted by Rocker Jon Bon Jovi

Legendary rocker Jon Bon Jovi has found himself intertwined with Apple-related headlines Monday following the singer's recent - and highly controversial - comments about the digital music business and the role played by Apple's iTunes in disseminating music. Speaking with the Sunday Times Magazine, Bon Jovi reveals that Apple has spoiled the magic for kids who, thanks to Apple's iTunes, are being deprived of the wondrous experience of purchasing physical albums.

“Kids today have missed the whole experience of putting the headphones on, turning it up to 10, holding the jacket, closing their eyes and getting lost in an album; and the beauty of taking your allowance money and making a decision based on the jacket, not knowing what the record sounded like, and looking at a couple of still pictures and imagining it," Bon Jovi says. "God, it was a magical, magical time. I hate to sound like an old man now, but I am, and you mark my words, in a generation from now people are going to say: ‘What happened?’. Steve Jobs is personally responsible for killing the music business."

While it doesn't seem that "these kids today" are enjoying music - and its ease of access - any less than they did in previous generations, Bon Jovi joins an ever-increasing list of aging rockers who are having trouble adjusting to the contemporary ways in which music lovers get their tunes. Perhaps its an issue Bon Jovi can take up with Steve Jobs personally. After all, Bon Jovi is about to spend a lot more time with Jobs’ wife Laurene, who sits with him on The White House council for Community Solutions. Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall for that next meeting?

Source: Sunday Times Magazine

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Umm yeah, let's get over the past and live for the future already.. Thank goodness the 70's/80's are over!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AdonisBlue For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I agree in part. Personally I still buy the CD's. I rip them myself. Can put them on any device I want. I always have a backup if needed. If I go the digital way & loose them for what ever reason, I have to buy them again.

Quote Originally Posted by AdonisBlue View Post
    Umm yeah, let's get over the past and live for the future already.. Thank goodness the 70's/80's are over!
    LOL, maybe, but if it wasn't for the artist in the past, you wouldn't have the music you have today.
    Last edited by Cokeman; 03-14-2011 at 02:16 PM.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cokeman For This Useful Post:

arghwhymustiregister (03-14-2011), danton1316 (03-14-2011), dsg (03-14-2011), elehcdn (03-15-2011), kingbijan (03-14-2011), shinygerbil (03-14-2011), zeroGsti (03-14-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

We need jailbreaking news and iPad 2 good and bad news!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to i3urger For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011)

Thanks

I guess that's what years of abusing drugs make people think/say.

Twitter: @tshoults

10. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I grew up in the 80's and had to spend my own hard earned cash on cassetes and CDs to get the one song on the album worth listening to. The only thing Bon Jovi is missing is the other 8 bux hes not getting for the crap tracks on his records. I for one never did any of the crap hes referring to, dont miss pissing my money away, and wish he wouldnt speak for the other full grown adults out there that enjoy the convenience of portable music libraries. I can turn up the volume to 10 on the music I like anywhere I want. Steve has his faults, kicking the recording industry in the nuts isnt one of them.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ishamiyal For This Useful Post:

Dirk Digler (03-14-2011), elehcdn (03-15-2011), GreenMachine (03-15-2011), jmillermcp (03-14-2011), kingbijan (03-14-2011), lfc_ (03-14-2011), Noblei4 (03-14-2011), nutz (03-14-2011), turkey26 (03-14-2011), xXxG0dzRAgexXx (03-14-2011)

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Just because your washed up doesn't mean you get to complain about how people get their music !!!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to santacruzlocal For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011), nocurefordumb (03-14-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    I agree in part. Personally I still buy the CD's. I rip them myself. Can put them on any device I want. I always have a backup if needed. If I go the digital way & loose them for what ever reason, I have to buy them again.

LOL, maybe, but if it wasn't for the artist in the past, you wouldn't have the music you have today.
    Maybe what was meant was thanks for the music but its time to realize that kids today (and I'm as old as Bon Jovi) don't sit around an listen to "albums" they like "songs". Further, kids don't use headphones, kids are busier (with soccer, cheer, guitar, dance, etc.) and finally, like everything else...things change what worked for us and our parents don't work for kids today. Mr. Bon Jovi is simply repeating the past (meaning I bet he sounds like his parents...back in MY day I walked uphill both ways to school in the snow...AND LIKED IT - LOL, always like that story myself).

Things change, kids change, life seems...not just busier but BUSY. sitting and throwing on headphones and listening to an album is nostalgic and perhaps I miss it...but kids today? Heck no, give iTunes and let them go.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to plaintom For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Messany just quit.. Seriously

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iphoneadam For This Useful Post:

bluesummer (03-14-2011), elehcdn (03-15-2011), LuisAKANewt (03-14-2011)

Thanks

haha Bon jovi......

ok moving on to the Next worthless news Story

20. The Following User Says Thank You to brokentwice For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011)

Thanks

These old guys don't understand how the new generation utilizes emerging technology. Eventually the CD will be a dead medium. There will be only digitized music and vinyl. I see the progression on a daily basis. It may suck for some people but it's reality.
    Peace out to the homeboys puffin on the hydro

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Eyevanovich For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011)

Thanks

I love my iTunes.. It is nice to have a backup though

24. The Following User Says Thank You to mmaboi21 For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    I guess that's what years of abusing drugs make people think/say.
    I've never read a single thing about John Bon Jovi having a drug problem. Richie drank a bit, but that's about it.

I agree with him to a degree, but the thing he is missing is that the bulk of modern music blows and is built around the idea of the "single". The most successful "artists" today are more producer than they are performer. Look at any hip-hop or rap album and it's chock full of guest performers and singers, with the artist on the label being the one who wrangles it all together.

Blame the artists for crap before you blame the medium in which that crap is delivered. Even "rock" bands are prone to the "a single is all we need" way of thinking. Train won a Grammy and a legion of new fans off of one hit single supporting a rather uneven and mediocre album.

If an artist puts care in their work, it doesn't matter how it gets out there. I bought American Idiot off of iTunes and it didn't make that album any less significant to me than The Joshua Tree or Synchronicity.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClerkDante For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011), Skizz (03-14-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So Basically he doesn't like the fact that kids now a days can make an informed decision and preview the albums before they buy, and realize that 8 of the 10 tracks that are on the album suck, so he just buys the one song? Sorry Jon write better music is all i got for ya!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to bsawyers For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011)

Thanks

All musicians hate the "NEW MUSIC PURCHASING" procedures....getting older shouldn't mean HATE for new technology...embrace the fact that you no longer have to wait in line for a tape or cd, you can purchase rip/download at your own convenience, you KNOW what is on the album way before it even comes out, who really needs/wants mystery these days(im still trying to figure out how BUSH was elected a 2nd time...now that's mystery haha) All in all i'd say the new way is much better and easier for the consumer...win win :]

30. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

elehcdn (03-15-2011)

Thanks

Back ups = external hdd or flash drive.

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuj29's Avatar
    Thanks

this is the future..... jovi your a hotrod!!!!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

lol Last time I check my iPod had headphones and I could turn the volume way past "10"...and jackets?? omg..you mean the ones that came in the cds I bought as a kid and prayed to God that it had the lyrics in it..and then didnt? Oh, and yea I loved buying a cd and finding out only one or two songs were actually good and I wasted my money.. Long live digital distribution.

Thanks

Jon Bon Jovi is amazing. End of story. His music and everything is real. Part of electronics is taking away from what music real is and now turning it into pop/autotune singers who have not much talent.

Thanks

I agree with him. I personally love owning a physical album. That's the biggest problem in music today... Artist are writing singles not albums. It's not Apple's fault though. They are just delivering what and how the customer wants.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast