+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Taking Donations via iTunes to Help Earthquake Victims in Japan

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Apple Taking Donations via iTunes to Help Earthquake Victims in Japan

Apple has begun taking donations through iTunes, to help the victims of the devastating 8.9 magnitude earthquake and resulting tsunami that hit Japan on Friday. 100% of the donations will go directly to the American Red Cross and Apple is waiving its usual 30% fee. Apple is accepting donations through the iTunes store in various denominations ranging from $5-$200. Unfortunately, you can't use iTunes store credit to make donations.

Apple has also posted a message on the Apple Store website in Japan that reads: ”To those who have been affected by the earthquake and tsunami, we send sympathies from our heart. In this deep sadness, we are praying for the victims and their families.”

Apple has the largest credit card database of any retailer on the internet. By having all donations go through iTunes, it gives people a quick and easy way to donate money to the relief fund. Donations can also be made directly to the American Red Cross website, as well.

Our hearts go out to the victims and families of this horrible tragedy.

Source: Apple

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

turkey26 (03-13-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 808 Posts

that is nice all of those people need our help right now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This makes me happy. My prayers and wallet go out to japan in their time of need.

iPhone? More like MyPhone xerray's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a couple friends over in Japan, I hope they're fine and safe. I already donated handsomely to Red Cross.
    It Takes One To Know One

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

This is a good thing. Thanks apple for a easy way to help. My deepest sympathies go out to the people in Japan

Banned
    Thanks

Take notice that apple is not helping, but arranging for you to help.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheJailbreakGenius For This Useful Post:

EdmundGerber (03-13-2011), iKillYou (03-13-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheJailbreakGenius View Post
    That's still a huge help.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDirtyDiddler For This Useful Post:

lfc_ (03-13-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

I was thinking the SAME THING! Hell they are the ones with all the money! Bout as bad as when celebrities get on tv asking people to donate to help save this and that. They got all the money! People need to start worrying about about our own country and not everyone else's. I'm sorry but when's the last time Japan took up a "donation" for the U.S.? If something popped off here Japan wouldn't give two $hits about the U.S.

Thanks

Too bad the earthquake didn't pummel Sony headquarters :/

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Amazing Atheist For This Useful Post:

glassJAw (03-13-2011), KBI2113 (03-13-2011)

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Be aware when donating to the Red Cross, they have have one of the largest overhead per dollar percentage takes of any charity foundation. The CEO of Red Cross, a non profit foundation is making over a half million a year plus. He is one of many highly paid people that work and run the Red Cross. That means only a small portion of every dollar you give really makes it to the people in need.

If you want to help, do a little online research first to see what foundation is really helping the cause that you want to donate to. This info is widely available online, right down to detailed reports of administration cost. A little effort on your end will make that donation go allot further.
    Last edited by Captinsmooth; 03-13-2011 at 07:44 AM.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captinsmooth For This Useful Post:

maaaslo (03-14-2011), rdaneshmand (03-13-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 705 Posts

No offense call me selfish I've helped some charities. But apple a company who we've been told have $30 billion in their wallet. And want us to donate Cmon now. Lol. In a hard economy like this. Alot of companies should hand over 1 billion. Bam problem solved

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Who said that Apple in particular did not help?
    In the news-story there is nothing about apple sending or not sending or anyhow else participating/not participating in it. Why the assumptions

And, arranging for help where 100% of donations go to red cross is a huge help itself. Take DMS mobile messages for example - operators do take their cut anyway (at least here in EU).

Japanese are strong people, i with them all the best and to recover from disaster soon.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

Heard a lot bout charities online taking donations for Haiti and Katrina turning put to be scams. I agree Apple should donate some of their own dollars but at least you know it will go towards the cause it says. What's the 30% fee waived about?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Is apple demanding 30% of every donation?

I'd rather give my hard earned cash directly into the hands of the agencies who need it. Who knows what apple is doing...

Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
    I'm sorry but when's the last time Japan took up a "donation" for the U.S.? If something popped off here Japan wouldn't give two $hits about the U.S.
    Hurricane Katrina, you hateful ****.

It's getting harder and harder to empathize with you fucks south of the border. Is there anything you don't hate?

Japan Proves Truly "A Friend Indeed" After Hurricane Katrina

Japanese government, companies, individuals send assistance to victims

By Jane Morse
    Washington File Staff Writer

Washington -- If the saying "a friend in need is a friend indeed" is true, Japan is one of the best friends the United States ever could have to provide support while so many Americans are suffering in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Japanese private citizens and the government alike have sent a virtual tsunami of assistance to the victims of Katrina, which devastated 90,000 square miles along the U.S. Gulf Coast in August. Hundreds of thousands of people lost their homes and hundreds lost their lives.

Japan has pledged more than $1.5 million in private donations. The government of Japan has donated $200,000 in cash to the American Red Cross and some $800,000 in relief supplies -- from blankets to generators -- already are arriving to aid the most needy. Japanese firms with operations in the United States have donated some $12 million in total, including Honda Motor Corporation ($5 million), Hitachi ($1 million) and Nissan (more than $750,000).

The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo was overwhelmed by the generosity of one Japanese individual -- Takashi Endo -- who donated $1 million from his personal funds to Katrina relief efforts. Endo said he was moved when, during a business trip to London, he saw a televised report about a mother separated from her children in the chaos of the flooding in New Orleans. The story so disturbed him he could not sleep that night; the next morning he resolved to do something to help.

Yuji Takahashi, president and chief executive officer of the Japan Petroleum Exploration Company Ltd., which has operations off the coast of Louisiana, donated $100,000 to U.S. federal government hurricane relief efforts. Takahashi said that when he learned of the destruction caused by the hurricane, he felt as if his own family had been affected.
    Last edited by EdmundGerber; 03-13-2011 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EdmundGerber For This Useful Post:

GmAz (03-13-2011), punjabi212 (03-13-2011), xerray (03-13-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EdmundGerber View Post

I'd rather give my hard earned cash directly into the hands of the agencies who need it. Who knows what apple is doing...

Hurricane Katrina, you hateful ****.

It's getting harder and harder to empathize with you fucks south of the border. Is there anything you don't hate?
    I couldn't agree more

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    That's still a huge help.
    The red cross isn't even nonprofit! Remember Haiti? How much money went to advertising, or to their CEO?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The red cross isn't even nonprofit! Remember Haiti? How much money went to advertising, or to their CEO?
    Red cross has to advertise or no one would think of donating. It's like those horribly long commercials asking for your money for saving abused animals. It takes money to make money

And the CEO, that's all he does. He's gotta make a living somehow. Now this ridiculous salary needs to be changed. However this is America, where even charities are corrupt

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EdmundGerber View Post
    No it's because when you buy stuff on iTunes apple gets 30% and the dev or artist gets the rest. It's just saying apple isn't getting any.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sem656 For This Useful Post:

EdmundGerber (03-14-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post
    Too bad the earthquake didn't pummel Sony headquarters :/

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    Sony's HQ is probably in CA. If Sony got hit, so would Apple. A huge San Andreas earthquake is likely in the near future, but it is definitely not something to hope for.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    No offense call me selfish I've helped some charities. But apple a company who we've been told have $30 billion in their wallet. And want us to donate Cmon now. Lol. In a hard economy like this. Alot of companies should hand over 1 billion. Bam problem solved

Even 1 mil would be a help, but companies cannot do this for every disaster.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast