Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 109

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple Taking Donations via iTunes to Help Earthquake Victims in Japan

  1. #41
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,259
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 144 Times in 123 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkme93 View Post
    Listen "Steve" our country has billions of dollars to help other countries but can't help our schools or the poor or the disabled? In Louisiana & new Orleans ppl still need help but no America would rather focus on Haiti who doesn't help America cuz there so poor and I do admit we should help japan cuz they helped us.. My bad. Hopefully japan will rise again like the rising sun on there flag
    I understand what your saying, and I agree that we need to help out our own ppl, but there's no reason why we can't help out other countries in their times of need regardless if they've helped us in the past or not. They're still human beings and by us being the example by helping out who knows what can come of that. Maybe it'll change the way others view us, maybe it'll change them.

  2. #42
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Why did all those other countries help America when Hurricane Katerina hit, or when the Twin Towers fell? Next time deal with your problems on your own.

    Economic problems and disasters like Japan are completely different.
    I completely agree they are different, but look at it another way. A lot of people are referencing Haiti. Would we expect Haiti to help anyone monetarily in a time of need? Probably not (because it is understood they don't have the resources to spare). The US is LITERALLY spending money they don't have. It's no different than anyone other country spending money that it doesn't have except that, well, it's the US and it has become expected.

    DO NOT GET ME WRONG HERE. I am not advocating that we don't help, but people have made some great points. Healthcare in the US is ridiculous, As are a lot of the schools. They hike up fees, cut instructor salaries, and are then upset by the poor student development. All these cuts and we are still digging ourselves deeper and deeper into debt. In the US's case financial and moral responsibilites often don't mesh.

    I am all for helping countries when you have the resources to help. The problem here is that we literally don't, at least not on the massive scale that we are expected to and ALWAYS DO end up helping. Think of it on a personal level. Say you have $10k credit on your credit cards. Why not go max them out and send the money to Japan, haiti, etc. You are doing a good thing. The money can arguably be used better there than you would use it, right? The reason we don't do that is because it is financially irresponsible. US is doing just that. "Keep on adding it to the tab"...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 03-13-2011 at 12:11 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  3. #43
    For the guys that are telling people to help the US before Japan, its not like u guys are still donating to the US. If your not donating to japan nor america, stop commenting.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teriyakiboy13 For This Useful Post:

    feidhlim1986 (03-13-2011), KBI2113 (03-13-2011), MetallicaFan1991 (03-13-2011)

  5. #44
    Still don't know what he ment

  6. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by teriyakiboy13 View Post
    For the guys that are telling people to help the US before Japan, its not like u guys are still donating to the US. If your not donating to japan nor america, stop commenting.
    Why would we donate money to the US? We live here, we pay taxes an I DO donate to local schools & to katrina so don't assume! If we did donate to our country it would b used for war or helping other countries ur comment makes no sence

  7. #46
    Just something to think about... Twin Towers Attack..September 11, Haiti..January 11....Now Japan..March 11. Maybe it's not natural disaster, could be man made. Given the technology which exist today, it doesn't take much to create a machine which can formulate the same wave and current as a real Tsunami.

  8. #47
    Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In Michigan And Florida
    Posts
    6,534
    Thanks
    3,595
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I completely agree they are different, but look at it another way. A lot of people are referencing Haiti. Would we expect Haiti to help anyone monetarily in a time of need? Probably not (because it is understood they don't have the resources to spare). The US is LITERALLY spending money they don't have. It's no different than anyone other country spending money that it doesn't have except that, well, it's the US and it has become expected.

    DO NOT GET ME WRONG HERE. I am not advocating that we don't help, but people have made some great points. Healthcare in the US is ridiculous, As are a lot of the schools. They hike up fees, cut instructor salaries, and are then upset by the poor student development. All these cuts and we are still digging ourselves deeper and deeper into debt. In the US's case financial and moral responsibilites often don't mesh.

    I am all for helping countries when you have the resources to help. The problem here is that we literally don't, at least not on the massive scale that we are expected to and ALWAYS DO end up helping. Think of it on a personal level. Say you have $10k credit on your credit cards. Why not go max them out and send the money to Japan, haiti, etc. You are doing a good thing. The money can arguably be used better there than you would use it, right? The reason we don't do that is because it is financially irresponsible. US is doing just that. "Keep on adding it to the tab"...
    Healthcare... ask me I know. We pay $500.00 a month for our healthcare, if we need to use it there is a $3,500.00 deductible each year... just used it the end of last year and already this year... so we owe $7,000.00 for deductibles and then we have to pay for prescriptions... which cost us $325.00 per month for my prescriptions for my heart... see how it affects small businesses? However we will still donate to Japan.. it may not be a lot but what we feel we can squeeze out of our budget right now.

    In the long run people even $5.00 will help.

    "Always remember your special and unique!"

  9. #48
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by XFaega View Post
    Money isn't always the best help. Food - Closes - Shelter - place to clean them selfs. Yes it takes money but I rather donate where they need it the most not to some foundation claiming to be helping but some how a non profit origanization CEO making tons of money. Sorry but the Red Cross is a profit company scamming many people and companies.
    Not saying you are wrong morally, but I suggest you look up what non-profit actually means. It doesn't actually mean nobody in the company profits...

    Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    Healthcare... ask me I know. We pay $500.00 a month for our healthcare, if we need to use it there is a $3,500.00 deductible each year... just used it the end of last year and already this year... so we owe $7,000.00 for deductibles and then we have to pay for prescriptions... which cost us $325.00 per month for my prescriptions for my heart... see how it affects small businesses? However we will still donate to Japan.. it may not be a lot but what we feel we can squeeze out of our budget right now.

    In the long run people even $5.00 will help.
    We are on the same page here.

    It is worth noting, however, that I was referring strictly to government aid (US gov't specifically) and not personal citizen aid. I know government aid is not at all what this thread is about, I was simply responding to those stating that the US should only help itself, and of course those that are bashing the people that say that as it is not completely black and white for either side.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 03-13-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  10. #49
    I'm all for charity but japan is the 3rd richest country in the world. They need donations just as much as jobs needs windows 7.

  11. #50
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by djdon View Post
    Given the technology which exist today, it doesn't take much to create a machine which can formulate the same wave and current as a real Tsunami.


    I don't think you understand in the slightest how much energy would be required to make something like this happen and actually look like a natural disaster. What technology are you referring to by the way? It simply doesn;t exists.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  12. #51
    Those people who are saying why should we even bother helping japan, they are just bunch of selfish bast**ds who only care about their own well-being. Like others who said previously, I'm ashamed of living in the same country as you. hell I'm even ashamed of even living on the same planet as you. Wait till when they get into trouble and in dire need of others' help, they will start whining and crying about how other countries/people wont help. At that time karma will come back and bite them in the a** hard. Real hard.

    Mod edit: I guess you didn't read... This thread is about apple taking donations to help Japan.. everyone has their own thoughts on this.. however please do not point fingers as to their thoughts compared to your thoughts.. in the end we will all help Japan.
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 03-13-2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: edit

  13. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post


    I don't think you understand in the slightest how much energy would be required to make something like this happen and actually look like a natural disaster. What technology are you referring to by the way? It simply doesn;t exists.
    Hahahahaha I totally agree! It's not like it was a little earth quake and u can blame it on fat ppl!

  14. #53
    I'm glad Apple has done this and not taken a cut but I do wonder about their motives.

    Could it be because Japan is Apple's manufactoring location?

    Either way I hope the people of Japan get the help they need as swiftly as possible, I have made my donation.

  15. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by chillihound View Post
    I'm glad Apple has done this and not taken a cut but I do wonder about their motives.

    Could it be because Japan is Apple's manufactoring location?

    Either way I hope the people of Japan get the help they need as swiftly as possible, I have made my donation.
    My iPhone says 'Assembled in china'.

  16. #55
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,441
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 185 Times in 145 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I completely agree they are different, but look at it another way. A lot of people are referencing Haiti. Would we expect Haiti to help anyone monetarily in a time of need? Probably not (because it is understood they don't have the resources to spare). The US is LITERALLY spending money they don't have. It's no different than anyone other country spending money that it doesn't have except that, well, it's the US and it has become expected.
    Financially, Ireland is pretty much in the $hitter but our Government has pledged cash, supplies and aid workers. But the thing is, majority of money and aid raised comes from regular people and those who can afford to donate not from specific Governments.

    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    DO NOT GET ME WRONG HERE. I am not advocating that we don't help, but people have made some great points. Healthcare in the US is ridiculous, As are a lot of the schools. They hike up fees, cut instructor salaries, and are then upset by the poor student development. All these cuts and we are still digging ourselves deeper and deeper into debt. In the US's case financial and moral responsibilites often don't mesh.
    Having poor healthcare or expensive schooling costs or even personal debt or Government debt are nothing compared to entire towns being wiped off the map. I feel like some people here aren't grasping the severity of the disaster. To put it into perspective: The 9/11 Death Toll was about 3000, Hurricane Katrina just under 2000. The expected death toll so far in Japan is exceeding 10,000 a staggering amount, yet not as awful as the 250,000 who died in Haiti.

    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I am all for helping countries when you have the resources to help. The problem here is that we literally don't, at least not on the massive scale that we are expected to and ALWAYS DO end up helping. Think of it on a personal level. Say you have $10k credit on your credit cards. Why not go max them out and send the money to Japan, haiti, etc. You are doing a good thing. The money can arguably be used better there than you would use it, right? The reason we don't do that is because it is financially irresponsible. US is doing just that. "Keep on adding it to the tab"...
    I understand your points about Government Aid and that over the last few years there has been quite a number of events that required external aid. I can understand annoyance that a Government can spend millions (that they dont have) on aid yet they can't put money into education or healthcare but I think disasters like this trump those other expenses and it's early aid that makes the biggest difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by djdon View Post
    Just something to think about... Twin Towers Attack..September 11, Haiti..January 11....Now Japan..March 11. Maybe it's not natural disaster, could be man made. Given the technology which exist today, it doesn't take much to create a machine which can formulate the same wave and current as a real Tsunami.
    The wave or tsunami was as a result of the earthquake. But maybe Lord Xenu created the earthquake

  17. #56
    Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 111 Times in 94 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by chillihound View Post
    Could it be because Japan is Apple's manufactoring location?
    Fail! Its CHINA! It says it on the back of nearly every Apple product....

    MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

  18. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by djdon View Post
    Just something to think about... Twin Towers Attack..September 11, Haiti..January 11....Now Japan..March 11. Maybe it's not natural disaster, could be man made. Given the technology which exist today, it doesn't take much to create a machine which can formulate the same wave and current as a real Tsunami.

    The largest thermonuclear weapon ever created produced 50 megatons, the earthquake in Japan created 474 megatons, that's 2 Exajoules of energy. Try doing some research before posting *******.
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 03-13-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: word = ******

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spazturtle For This Useful Post:

    djdon (03-13-2011), feidhlim1986 (03-13-2011)

  20. #58
    Before you donate, remember Little of that money will actually reach japan in help of the disaster. I'm big on donations..but I have never given money to charities. It's all a bunch of bullsh*t. Sad reality but true.

    My Parents are both going to japan soon to ACTUALLY help out.

  21. #59
    Green Apple loud.n.clean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, KS
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 28 Times in 8 Posts

    Default BS
    I have read alot of the treads on this topic. I feel that some of the people about Apple helping, Celebreties, Sports Players, and all other over paid people in the world could do a little better in helping. But I think if we all chipp in and give what we can afford it will help. And looking into it and finding the charities that are affiliated with the actual giving of the help to the Japanese would be better. Movie Stars, Basketball, Football, Baseball Players get paid alot of rediculous money for playing a game they love to play. When blue collar people like myself have worked construction, moving furniture, back braking jobs my whole life wont see a fraction of their pay cut. So yeah it is kind of frustrating to see Apple a "$30,000,000,000.00 Company" not really picking in their own pockets. That is a lot of Zero`s they could give one or two away. I mean really who needs $1,000,000,000.00 for living expenses. Its BS is what it is.

  22. #60
    La Malcria Co1d Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Estados Unidos
    Posts
    734
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 53 Times in 50 Posts

    Seems like some people have taken their stupid pills. Allow me to clear things up.

    Apple is providing a way for you to donate, just like other companies are doing. I know Facebook is one of them.
    Maybe if you guys took a step out of the ignorant bubble once in a while you would've figured it out as well.

    Apple donating? I'm sure they did.


    Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    No confundas mi personalidad con mi actitud. Mi personalidad es quien soy yo, mi actitud depende de quien seas tú.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Co1d Night For This Useful Post:

    feidhlim1986 (03-13-2011)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •