+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Tightens In-App Purchase Controls in iOS 4.3

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple Tightens In-App Purchase Controls in iOS 4.3

Last month we reported that US Congressman Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.) reached out to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) questioning Apple's "marketing practices of applications for Apple devices. Two weeks later, the Federal Trade Commission responded to Congressman Markey's letter, promising to probe Apple's business practices relating to the concerns expressed. "We fully share your concern that consumers, particularly children, are unlikely to understand the ramifications of these types of purchases," FTC Chairman Jon Leibowitz wrote.

Apparently, Apple has been listening closely to the growing concerns about its "lax" in-app purchase controls. And, as a result, the controls in question have been tightened as part of the iOS 4.3 update. “In addition to a password being required to purchase an app on the App Store, a reentry of your password is now required when making an in-app purchase,” a representative from Apple reiterated, while not commenting on the possible FTC probe or whether this security tweak would be sufficient to prevent any potential investigation.

Since Apple introduced in-app purchases, thousands of dollars have reportedly been charged in error to user accounts for unintended purchases - most memorably, the shopping spree by a little girl of $99 batches of "Smurfberries" to the total sum value of $1,400 on mom and dad's mobile phone bill. Regardless of the incidents referenced, many believe Apple has been cast in a negative light in response to the failure of some parents to closely monitor the iPhone playtime engaged in by their kids. Still, while the finger of blame may be pointed in every direction, the end result is clear. Apple has made the likelihood of accidental in-app purchases exponentially more difficult.

Source: The Washington Post

Thanks

It's the parents fault for giving there kids the password or not changing it if the child figures it out, my kids don't know the password to my iTunes and won't get it!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 1,007 Posts

Yes!!!! Glad to see this & so are a lot of other parents on MMI.

^ I've never given my child my password but the in-app purchase can get you if it's in that 15 minute 'window' of purchasing.

I don't hover over my daughter while she plays her games nor does any other 'normal' parent that has more than one child. Sometimes she just pushes buttons that she thinks is part of a game but it could result into an in-app purchase. The password protection will stop that from happening.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

shinygerbil (03-11-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    This is a good reason not to give apple a credit card rather just use prepaid itunes cards. Problem solved. I would be less mad if they blew through $20 than $100 on my credit card.

Thanks

@Essany
    That's a cute pic for the article! 

Green Apple
    Thanks

Kids should be reading books, learning to count, learning abc etc.

Kids today are way to dependant on lcd screens, games consoles, pc's etc.

Children are also hooked on social networking and as such, in my opinion harming their development and hindering their inter-personal skills.

Net result my kids do not touch my iDevices and are time limited on any other network enabled devices unless it is demonstrated to be for educational purposes.
    Last edited by chillihound; 03-11-2011 at 12:51 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chillihound View Post
    You forgot playing outside, socializing face 2 face, not via facebook, and getting exercise...gonna be alot of fat kids with skinny fingers this next generation.

I'm 19 and was thinking this the other day, like when I have kids, will they even know what 'I Declare War' is/was?

Oh and that pic is lovely...caption "You're holding wrong"
    To Themers: STOP ABANDONING CYDIA FOR THEMEIT, YOU ARE LOSING FANS/SALES!

Thanks

@chillihound & Jlick,
    All three of mine are ALWAYS playing outside and/or playing with friends. They're social skills aren't being hindered at all! You just have to be responsible and find a happy medium (which my wife is gr8 at doing)!!!
    She spends hours a day reading/teaching/challenging them so 30 min on an idevice isn't going to cripple their development. BTW, most of our idevice apps for the kids are educational.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

No more excuses for unwanted smurfberries!

Thanks

At least there can be no more parental excuses. I have never played this particular game but in app purchases that I've paid for have always popped up a message within iOS stating to agree to a payment before it goes through and show how much the purchase is in dollars and cents. Other gaming platforms do the same thing. If that isn't warning enough about spending actual money I don't know what is. It just amazes me that so many parents can be so inept at times. They claim their kids are young but yet their kids have the where with all to press a BUY button and AGREE to a payment and not DECLINE it just by randomly pressing buttons.

I use to work as a customer service rep for an online gaming platform and when parents called in about charges it was always the same excuse. Their kids were not warned about the charges when in fact the system will state with a pop up message that what they are agreeing to is a monetary charge (purchase). They always say their kids told them they were not warned they would be charged and some even say who reads those pop ups? Just poor parenting in my mind blaming the system and not taking responsibility for their kids own actions. I even had one parent blame his dog for making a game add-on purchase. Just insane.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Thanks

Children are also hooked on social networking and as such, in my opinion harming their development and hindering their inter-personal skills.

Net result my kids do not touch my iDevices and are time limited on any other network enabled devices unless it is demonstrated to be for educational purposes.
    I'd hate to be your child....that's more like a hitler than a parent

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    No confundas mi personalidad con mi actitud. Mi personalidad es quien soy yo, mi actitud depende de quien seas tú.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLick View Post
    You forgot playing outside, socializing face 2 face, not via facebook, and getting exercise...gonna be alot of fat kids with skinny fingers this next generation.

I'm 19 and was thinking this the other day, like when I have kids, will they even know what 'I Declare War' is/was?

Oh and that pic is lovely...caption "You're holding wrong"
    You can't blame the Technology its always going to be part of the world and it will continue to grow. I'm fourteen and technology is a major part of my life. In fact I'm teaching my self how to program C++. I don't go around on the internet saying, " Im a n00bZ how do u jb a ipt" or "lik dude this is gr8 now giv me untethered jb now becuz the devs r lzy & selfish" I don't type in text speak and I try to be Intelligent because thats how I was raised. I read all the time. I read books like Harry Potter and Percy Jackson and I can read fast. I am also athletic, I play soccer and swim every day spring through summer. I also spend time with friend hangout with friends who are not technically inclined. It all just depends on responsibility.
    Last edited by Megaorange; 03-11-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Megaorange View Post
    You can't blame the Technology its always going to be part of the world and it will continue to grow. I'm fourteen and technology is a major part of my life. In fact I'm teaching my self how to program C++. I don't go around on the internet saying, " Im a n00bZ how do u jb a ipt" or "lik dude this is gr8 now giv me untethered jb now becuz the devs r lzy & selfish" I don't type in text speak and I try to be Intelligent because thats how I was raised. I read all the time. I read books like Harry Potter and Percy Jackson and I can read fast. I am also athletic, I play soccer and swim every day spring through summer. I also spend time with friend hangout with friends who are not technically inclined. It all just depends on responsibility.
    Exactly. I'm 16 and i know some c++ and c objective. I'm also learning htm and php. I'm learning to make apps and I also make iPod themes. I am also A+ certified.

Technology is progressing as the years go on, we are advancing. It's not the stone age anymore. BUT I do think kids these days need to get outside more, obesity is spreading like a cancer.

And really...why put time limits on ur own kids iPods? -.- that's stupid....music mite actually help them (it helps me concentrate)

No confundas mi personalidad con mi actitud. Mi personalidad es quien soy yo, mi actitud depende de quien seas tú.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kbcox0327 View Post
    ALRIGHT ALREADY MODMYI!!! I know you have an app. I'm using twitter & just wanna read this one story!!! FUUUUUUUUUUU!

DDDDD yea I hate that too

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post
    Exactly. I'm 16 and i know some c++ and c objective. I'm also learning htm and php. I'm learning to make apps and I also make iPod themes. I am also A+ certified.

Technology is progressing as the years go on, we are advancing. It's not the stone age anymore. BUT I do think kids these days need to get outside more, obesity is spreading like a cancer.

And really...why put time limits on ur own kids iPods? -.- that's stupid....music mite actually help them (it helps me concentrate)

Exactly. I agree that people need to stay fit and trying not to go deaf with music is an Idea. Technology isn't going away some people like Bill Gates started out as a childhood "nerd". I know that that it's hard for some people to accept technology (usually older generations) but thats because of peoples resist to change.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    I don't hover over my daughter while she plays her games nor does any other 'normal' parent that has more than one child. Sometimes she just pushes buttons that she thinks is part of a game but it could result into an in-app purchase. The password protection will stop that from happening.
    This is going to sound terrible to some, but how old is your kid? And what games is she playing where she cannot distinguish between it being a game or something else? Why on earth is a kid playing a game on a phone where she cannot tell whether she is playing a game or buying an app? Seriously some people just want to point the blame at everything but their own mistakes, which is why compnies these days have such ridiculously strict policies.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

This is the smartest idea. It should've been there from the first place to retype the password again before the final purchase. Very good idea.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Megaorange View Post
    Me too! i've always been into technology, coding (such as C++). But that doesn't stop me at all from reading good books like Harry Potter or Percy Jackson. Most people usually think that people are either just totally into tec., readoholic, or sports. But people like us show that it's not always like that. I'm glad to see that there are more of us in the world.

Thanks

I never read books, but I read a lot of forum sites. I guess those could make up for books.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post
    I never read books, but I read a lot of forum sites. I guess those could make up for books.

You make me laugh! 