Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Tightens In-App Purchase Controls in iOS 4.3

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Dude. So blasted tired of entering my password into iTunes every time I want to buy something. Now I have to enter it more??? Argh!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,194 Times in 1,368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    This is going to sound terrible to some, but how old is your kid? And what games is she playing where she cannot distinguish between it being a game or something else? Why on earth is a kid playing a game on a phone where she cannot tell whether she is playing a game or buying an app? Seriously some people just want to point the blame at everything but their own mistakes, which is why compnies these days have such ridiculously strict policies.
    I'm not sure why you even quoted me when u obviously didn't read what I wrote! In no way did I blame ANYBODY for the in-app purchases that were made on my iDevice and I COMPLETELY take responsibility for the occurrence!!!

My daughter is 4 y.o. and I have no problem with letting her play games on my devices. She is learning to read but she is still too young to know what buttons she's pressing. If you have kids (which I assume you don't) then you would understand why I let her play on my iPhone, iPad, etc. once in a while. If you don't have kids then why are you even commenting?!?!

All I said was that I was happy this change was made....that's it! You attacking me about something I didn't say isn't cool.

....If you can't say something nice, don't say it at all! *those are manners, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by mw_w View Post
    It's the parents fault for giving there kids the password or not changing it if the child figures it out, my kids don't know the password to my iTunes and won't get it!!
    In app purchases didnt require a password!! Thats why this post is here because of the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by chillihound View Post
    Kids should be reading books, learning to count, learning abc etc.

Kids today are way to dependant on lcd screens, games consoles, pc's etc.

Children are also hooked on social networking and as such, in my opinion harming their development and hindering their inter-personal skills.

Net result my kids do not touch my iDevices and are time limited on any other network enabled devices unless it is demonstrated to be for educational purposes.
    But they will be a generation of problem solvers.
    Face it, you love using them, you would have done the same if it was around when you were a kid, or you wouldnt be on here right now!!!
    Last edited by Cer0; 03-12-2011 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. The Following User Says Thank You to britcan For This Useful Post:

Megaorange (03-12-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by britcan View Post
    Face it, you love using them, you would have done the same if it was around when you were a kid, or you wouldnt be on here right now!!!
    True....true! 

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

britcan (03-12-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    You make me laugh! 

Why 0.0

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    No confundas mi personalidad con mi actitud. Mi personalidad es quien soy yo, mi actitud depende de quien seas tú.

Quote Originally Posted by britcan View Post
    In app purchases didnt require a password!! Thats why this post is here because of the changes.

True. I doubt one could say they wouldn't want them or somehow interested if they grow up around it. And about the generation of problem solvers, my Freshman Accelerated, AP, Honors classes what ever you want to call it is packed with nearly 40 kids per class.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post
    Why 0.0

Ur comments! Speaking what's on your mind, regardless of what others think...reminds me of myself.

Maybe that means I make myself laugh too...idk 

...and I don't know what '0.0' or '' means. I figure there smileys but i dont get them. Could u enlighten me?

Thanks

Ur comments! Speaking what's on your mind, regardless of what others think...reminds me of myself.

Maybe that means I make myself laugh too...idk 

...and I don't know what '0.0' or '' means. I figure there smileys but i dont get them. Could u enlighten me?

0.0 surprised

laughing

:P
    No confundas mi personalidad con mi actitud. Mi personalidad es quien soy yo, mi actitud depende de quien seas tú.

Honestly! The solution was simple...
    If you purchased an app, wait 15 min before letting your kids play it! Or disable purchasing on the device, an do all your app purchases via iTunes, then sync them to the phone.

They can't fool me, if that little girl knew what the stupid smurf-berries were, AND knew how to get more, AND knew to press yes 14 TIMES, then she KNEW what she was doing. You can't tell me that she just happened to buy that many of them by randomly tapping the screen.

I'm sorry, but it's the parent's responsibility to monitor what happens on any electronic device, especially when it goes online/purchases things. Chalk it up as a $1,400 lesson.

I, for one, am tired of always entering my password, and keep control over what the kids can do on my iPhone. I used to let them play Pocket God, until they added in-app purchases. It's NOT that difficult, and if you find that it is, then you probably shouldn't be a parent... Or at least not one who lets their kids mess with their iDevice.

I will say, one of the kids is allowed to play it, but he is 12 now, and knows that if he does that he will be grounded for a few decades (not literally!).

We live in a digital society, and we have to be responsible citizens of that society. Prohibiting your kids from using anything technological, is prohibiting them from growing as a modern person. You can't complain about your kids having friend problems, if you don't let them do the things all the other kids do. You're depriving them of "bonding material!"

YES, social interaction, in person, is necessary. So is making sure they are active physically as well as mentally. There is a balance though, you can give them the world, by giving them a little of everything, rather than all of one.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh great... A parenting war.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    LOL!  To each, his own!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    No, it can't be a war, cause I'm right, lol.

I just had to say something, because it seems like there's mostly, only two types of kids these days; those who are allowed to do too much, and those who aren't allowed to do anything.

It boils down to most parents being lazy, or over-protective. There used to be a middle ground, but that has gone away because everyone is so afraid of letting their kids experience life in a healthy way.

I'm just not afraid of offending anyone, because if they are, it probably hit close to home.

It's high time we, as a society, start acknowledging that kids are capable individuals. They don't magically go from babies to adults overnight, on their 18th birthday. This is why so many young adults have no direction, they have never been allowed to do anything, and they're taught that it's ok to fail.

It's where you are.

I hate the fact that my friends can go hang out at other friends houses and things like that while I can't even go into the back yard alone let alone a friends house. Ya I'm fourteen (well 15 in three months) but I'm not a little kid that doesn't know how to take care of its self. I'm smart A-B student in all advanced classes but I have 2% social experience.
    Last edited by Megaorange; 03-12-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaorange View Post
    I hate the fact that my friends can go hang out at other friends houses and things like that while I can't even go into the back yard alone let alone a friends house. Ya I'm fourteen (well 15 in three months) but I'm not a little kid that doesn't know how to take care of its self. I'm smart A-B student in all advanced classes but I have 2% social experience.
    My point, exactly!

I went to friends' houses all the time when I was a kid. A lot of parents need to lighten up.

It's where you are.

I know my mom tells stories about how she and a friend would ride bike around town when they were kids but then they say oh it was a small town we live in a city now. Then they talk about people like everyone is a pedo. I mean ya I know they are out there you just have to be smart about it.

I know my mom tells stories about how she and a friend would ride bike around town when they were kids but then they say oh it was a small town we live in a city now. Then they talk about people like everyone is a pedo. I mean ya I know they are out there you just have to be smart about it.
    That's what shotguns are for, lol.

It is something that happens, but you can't live in fear of it either. If we all ran and hid every time we thought something might go wrong, we'd still be living in caves.
    It's where you are.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    That's what shotguns are for, lol.

It is something that happens, but you can't live in fear of it either. If we all ran and hid every time we thought something might go wrong, we'd still be living in caves.

Screw shotguns, I'd use an arm shark

Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post
    Screw shotguns, I'd use an arm shark

C'MON MAN!!! You promised you wouldn't tell people we have one!

Now I have to go find a new pet...

It's where you are.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    C'MON MAN!!! You promised you wouldn't tell people we have one!

Now I have to go find a new pet...

Nah you can still use it. Just conceal it.

I'm a girl btw but I guess people aren't used to seeing a chick knowing about weaponry huh?

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

You can't blame the Technology its always going to be part of the world and it will continue to grow. I'm fourteen and technology is a major part of my life. In fact I'm teaching my self how to program C++. I don't go around on the internet saying, " Im a n00bZ how do u jb a ipt" or "lik dude this is gr8 now giv me untethered jb now becuz the devs r lzy & selfish" I don't type in text speak and I try to be Intelligent because thats how I was raised. I read all the time. I read books like Harry Potter and Percy Jackson and I can read fast. I am also athletic, I play soccer and swim every day spring through summer. I also spend time with friend hangout with friends who are not technically inclined. It all just depends on responsibility.
    there is a difference between technology being part of your life and it being a bad part of your life. You seem to balance it well and are using it in the right terms, but there are so many high school kids that care more about what is going on in the facebook world than caring about school. knowing the latest about whats going on in facebook means nothing than what achool is going to do for you.

Yes!!!! Glad to see this & so are a lot of other parents on MMI.

^ I've never given my child my password but the in-app purchase can get you if it's in that 15 minute 'window' of purchasing.

I don't hover over my daughter while she plays her games nor does any other 'normal' parent that has more than one child. Sometimes she just pushes buttons that she thinks is part of a game but it could result into an in-app purchase. The password protection will stop that from happening.
    well that normal shouldnt be like that, your a parent for a reason
    Last edited by EskimoRuler; 03-14-2011 at 12:00 AM.
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast