+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Facebook May Take a Bite Out of Apple with New Streaming Content Push

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Facebook May Take a Bite Out of Apple with New Streaming Content Push

Facebook is joining the ranks of major streaming content providers by beginning to offer online movie rentals. Warner Bros. has already been announced as Facebook’s first official partner in the effort, making The Dark Knight available through the movie’s official Facebook page.

“Every digital heavyweight is making a play for your living room," writes Peter Kafka of All Things Digital. He adds that Facebook clearly has designs on possibly challenging the likes of Apple, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, and everyone” in the digital content streaming space. Although only one film will be made available in this initial test run, Wall Street reacted to the news Tuesday as traders began selling shares of Netflix in anticipation of Facebook’s growth in the world of digital video rentals. Shares of Apple, it should also be noted, only rose $0.19 on a day when equities and, particularly tech stocks, were strong, although it would be inaccurate to pin Apple's flat session entirely on the Facebook announcement.

Regardless, expectations surrounding Facebook's effort are high. For now, the cost of a Facebook movie rental is 30 Facebook credits - about $3. Once a film is rented, users have 48 hours from the time of purchase to watch it in their browser. Facebook still functions as usual - 'poking,' 'liking,' etc. - throughout the the rental period. To that end, Thomas Gewecke, president of Warner Bros., says that “Facebook has become a daily destination for hundreds of millions of people,” said Thomas Gewecke, president of Warner Bros. Digital Distribution. “Making our films available through Facebook is a natural extension of our digital distribution efforts. It gives consumers a simple, convenient way to access and enjoy our films through the world’s largest social network.”

Only time will tell if - and how - Facebook's new venture will impact Apple and its peers in the realm of digital content.

Source: All Things Digital

Thanks

Na! not for me, Netflix and vudu Is more then enough for me

3. The Following User Says Thank You to glassJAw For This Useful Post:

Lombardo Joe (03-08-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

If it's anything like the rest of Facebook's everchanging GUI then go ahead and count me out too.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    If it's anything like the rest of Facebook's everchanging GUI then go ahead and count me out too.
    This.

Thanks

i think facebook is getting into something they really have no business being in...and exactly the GUI changes have been horrible so apparently the guy coming up with the ideas is not quite in tune with the wants of the users

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Does anyone else remember Facebook from about September 2006 and earlier? You know, back before it... sucked? Facebook was perfect the way it was back when it was your pictures, your wall, and NO News Feed. The inclusion of the News Feed in late 2006 forever ruined it for me.

I can't keep up with it these days. Now it's just out of control. Screw you, and screw your farm.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lombardo Joe For This Useful Post:

Snozberries (03-10-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Wow, this looks really bad. No way this ever gets much ground.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Ugh.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0M0D View Post
    i think facebook is getting into something they really have no business being in...and exactly the GUI changes have been horrible so apparently the guy coming up with the ideas is not quite in tune with the wants of the users
    Why does Facebook have no business being in the streaming movie business?

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Why does Facebook have no business being in the streaming movie business?
    because its a social site, not a video site. It should first attempt to fix its pictures, and chat amongst many other failures before it attempts to "branch out"

They'll be making phones next ><
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    Does anyone else remember Facebook from about September 2006 and earlier? You know, back before it... sucked? Facebook was perfect the way it was back when it was your pictures, your wall, and NO News Feed. The inclusion of the News Feed in late 2006 forever ruined it for me.

I can't keep up with it these days. Now it's just out of control. Screw you, and screw your farm.
    Yea I'm sick of the constant farmville and other ridiculous game notifications I get everytime I login. If I deny your requests the first 10x, what makes you think I'll still want to help water your pixelated crops?
    No confundas mi personalidad con mi actitud. Mi personalidad es quien soy yo, mi actitud depende de quien seas tú.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Co1d Night For This Useful Post:

Lombardo Joe (03-08-2011)

Thanks

[QUOTE=seann33uk;5877490]because its a social site, not a video site. It should first attempt to fix its pictures, and chat amongst many other failures before it attempts to "branch out"

They'll be making phones next >
    No confundas mi personalidad con mi actitud. Mi personalidad es quien soy yo, mi actitud depende de quien seas tú.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Facebook is on a downward spiral and is desperate to go out in a blaze of glory, grasping at anything and everything on its way down. In a few years time it will be a distant memory.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seann33uk View Post
    because its a social site, not a video site. It should first attempt to fix its pictures, and chat amongst many other failures before it attempts to "branch out"

They'll be making phones next ><
    And Apple were a computer manufacturer, they had "no business" getting in the music, movie, tv show business.

Guess what, watching movies is a social experience. For the movie studios it's a good and cheap method of trying to reach a 500+ Million install base.

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    Facebook is on a downward spiral and is desperate to go out in a blaze of glory, grasping at anything and everything on its way down. In a few years time it will be a distant memory.
    Haha, yeah. Sure all the $75 Billion valued companies will fizzle out in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post
    Yea I'm sick of the constant farmville and other ridiculous game notifications I get everytime I login. If I deny your requests the first 10x, what makes you think I'll still want to help water your pixelated crops?
    Just Block the app in your settings
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 03-08-2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

babyblue_pimp (03-08-2011), carolinamic (03-08-2011), MetallicaFan1991 (03-08-2011), Poseidon79 (03-08-2011)

Thanks

Facebooks first step into the mistakes myspace did...poor them...time to start deleting my
    Facebook page...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Exactly why I stopped using Facebook. My notifications are all filled with Mafia Wars requests/Farmville/Cafe City or whatever that is from random people.

Green Apple
    Thanks

All I'm sayin' is, If I had to choose between Facebook or Apple, it would be a quick and easy decision.

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Its going to fail like google tv will!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MLGKorno View Post
    Exactly why I stopped using Facebook. My notifications are all filled with Mafia Wars requests/Farmville/Cafe City or whatever that is from random people.
    You do know that you can "Block" games, causes, pretty much anything and you'll never see a post, or request from it right ?!?!? I'm just throwing it out there !!!
    Last edited by santacruzlocal; 03-08-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MLGKorno View Post
    It's not hard to customise your notification settings ya know.

Thanks

Mock my words, f