Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
Mac Newsforums, a part of the
Originally Posted by jsweeney800 I commented on geohot's blog. Now Sony is going after me. What the heck. And I don't even own a PS3. seriously? You need to sue...
03-08-2011, 09:18 AM #161
03-08-2011, 10:09 AM #162
There's a whole lot of rabble rabble in this thread, so I figured I'd post a few bits of info for those that aren't quite clear on the matter.
- This case is NOT about jailbreaking. It's about releasing the private signing keys to Sony's copyright protection system, which is illegal as defined by the DMCA.
- If someone in the US publicly released Apple's or Microsoft's private signing key for iOS or Xbox / Windows software, I guarantee you they would release all kinds of unholy hell upon them delivered by lawyers.
- While the key can be used to legitimately assist jailbreaking, it has much wider implications and uses in software piracy, which is what drew Sony's attention as it fundamentally shatters their system.
- Geohot could have acted much more responsibly than he did, and used the information to help create or sign a jailbreak. Instead he released it publicly to everyone. This harms his argument that he didn't have malicious intention, as he full well knew this would permanently compromise their copyright protection system, even if that wasn't his primary intention.
Regarding the actual subpoena's mentioned in this thread,
- Sony is requesting these subpoena's to help establish their case for California jurisdiction
- Unless you downloaded the hack, or posted a comment on geohot's youtube/blog, your information should not be part of any subpoena
- The terms of the subpoenas have already been narrowed from their original scope, limiting it only to information that could pertain to the California jurisdiction issue
- The modified subpoenas are for "attorney's eyes only", the highest standard level of confidentiality for court documents. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't understand the full extent of that classification, but it seems designed mainly for information to be kept confidential FROM the client. So in theory the information being requested is not being made available to Sony themselves.
Before anyone accuses me of being a Sony fanboy..
- The only Sony products I've purchased in the last 5-10 years were a discman and a couple cheap DVD-writers (I like how Sony's optiarc DVD burners have a plain black face without a bunch of random logos).
- I fully support ownership of things purchased, and a right to do whatever you want with them
- I'm a long standing opponent of the DMCA and software patents
- I think the idea of making it 'illegal' to decrypt something violates a fundamental human right to think and solve problems
- I used to have a DeCSS T-shirt with the full source code
- I'm a long time security professional, and I appreciate how much Sony's PS3 environment relied on that information being kept as a trade secret
Before you assume that Sony is any worse than any of these other companies, realize that this event happened to Sony, that's why they're the ones involved in it.Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin
03-08-2011, 02:56 PM #163
Umm it's just a joke that Sonys going after you if you read the article you would know their seeing what users are on geohots sites
03-09-2011, 09:19 AM #164
Sony will be the new Metallica... an maybe change the game like napster did... This is bad business for them but may turn into a profit.. Think about how napster charged an other places followed suit like Apple I tunes 99cent downloads...Think if they could get u to pay for the hacks in a legal sense then they could possible see a chunk of change for all the fun features that one doesn't have in a jailbreak phone... jus my thought
03-09-2011, 08:08 PM #165
Go too: http://AntiSonyPledge.blogspot.com/
And leave a comment and/or pledge too boycott Sony. If I can get enough comment and/or pledges I am going email them too Sony and show them that we won't put up with there childish antics. It might not be much but it will show them the consumer is NOT happy. Thanks
Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyiAnd Steve Jobs said "Let there be light... and lets put that into an app also"
03-09-2011, 11:56 PM #166