Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve Jobs Reportedly Denied Knighthood By British Government

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Steve Jobs Reportedly Denied Knighthood By British Government

While no shortage of prominent celebrities and business leaders have been honored via British knighthood, don't look for Apple CEO Steve Jobs to turn up with a "Sir" in front of his name any time soon. According to a flurry of published reports Tuesday, Steve Jobs was apparently once in line for knighthood but plans fell through when former British Prime Minister Gordon Brown intervened and allegedly blocked the knighthood. Why, you ask? Steve Jobs apparently had the audacity to decline an invitation to a Labour Party event.

And that was all she wrote for Steve Jobs' pending knighthood. If we didn't know any better, this probably means Steve won't get invited to Prince William's wedding either. Mr. Jobs must be devastated. Nonetheless, the media is having a field day with reports of Steve Jobs getting the boot from the British. Of course, it's not like Apple is going to withdraw all Apple products from the UK as a result of the reported snub, so its unclear what all the fuss is really about.

But, alas, it makes for a good story. And since Bill Gates was knighted six years ago, Gates still has something to hang over Steve's head during poker night. Of course, with the iPad 2 and iPhone 5 looming on Apple's plate for the year ahead, there's an excellent possibility that Steve Jobs isn't giving much consideration to his lost shot at knighthood. After all, what's being a knight in England when you're the king of mobile technology in America?

Source: Time Magazine

That is sooooo like the Labour party, corrupt as hell they are. 'The Right Honourable Lord Mandelson' is the worst of them all, I bet he had something to do with this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to spazturtle For This Useful Post:

Tenspeed123 (03-01-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone newyork0900's Avatar
    Thanks

Send David Cameron an iPad 2 and an iPhone 5 and I'm sure Steve will be knighted by next year.

Maybe an iPod touch for the Queen

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thought you had to be born British to be knighted?...
    This message was K1NG approved.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Steve Jobs would not be bestowed the title of "Sir" anywho. Bill Gates isn't Sir Bill Gates. Only the title of "Sir" is given to citizens of the U.K and Commonwealth.

Quote Originally Posted by ADF View Post
    Thought you had to be born British to be knighted?...
    You can be knighted but you don't get the title "Sir"
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 03-01-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (03-01-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newyork0900 View Post
    Send David Cameron an iPad 2 and an iPhone 5 and I'm sure Steve will be knighted by next year.

Maybe an iPod touch for the Queen
    lol yes you are right sir

I call people "sir" all the time. Mostly for men whose names I don't know.

Do the British generally honor prominent American businessmen with knighthoods?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Gordon Brown is a douche! So what if he didn't speak at an event you wanted him to?? Are you going to hold that against him for the rest of your life? Lol, it really never ceases to amaze me the decisions ppl make based on such small things like this. Steve definitely deserves the Knighthood

Quote Originally Posted by dysfunction View Post
    Oh yeah! The British gov freakin love us over here! They're always trying to Knight our peeps
    Last edited by steve-z17; 03-01-2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    That is sooooo like the Labour party, corrupt as hell they are. 'The Right Honourable Lord Mandelson' is the worst of them all, I bet he had something to do with this.
    You don't have to call him Rt Hon any more thankfully, he isn't an MP
    But you're right he's a slimy, slippery creature just like the rest of the last labour government..

Nvm
    Last edited by dsg; 03-01-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dysfunction View Post
    Bill Gates is Knighted.

Wow this is news? Must be a really slow news day. Why would he care to be knighted anyway? Doesn't mean anything plus does anyone really want to be knighted by the Brits?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenspeed123 View Post
    You don't have to call him Rt Hon any more thankfully, he isn't an MP
    But you're right he's a slimy, slippery creature just like the rest of the last labour government..

Actually you do. Rt Hon refers to his designation as a Privy Councillor - an award that sticks for life.

Only a fraction of MPs are Rt Hon members, generally those in the Cabinet or senior whips

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

lol. Now you know how it feels to be denied something that you think you deserve Steve.

i personally would pull the iPad and iPhone from the UK till the knighthood is restored and he is deemed Sir Steve Jobs of Apple

He'll always be Sir Steve to me
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Gordon Brown is a douche! So what if he didn't speak at an event you wanted him to?? Are you going to hold that against him for the rest of your life? Lol, it really never ceases to amaze me the decisions ppl make based on such small things like this. Steve definitely deserves the Knighthood

Oh yeah! The British gov freakin love us over here! They're always trying to Knight our peeps
    Not always trying to knight our peeps, only one so far - he can't be addressed as sir and only got it for anglo american commercial reasons.

Truth is this little island doesn't need anyone or any nation. We are small but unfortunately full of arse kissing knobs.

Steve I wish you well but the offer of a knighthood is nothing but bull crap politics.

I personally love Apple products but why would that be deserved of a knighthood???
    Last edited by chillihound; 03-01-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

#1. Steve Jobs first priority is getting well, knighhood is last on his mind.
    #2. Knighthood means absolutely nothing here in U.S., it only means something to England and only in certain situations.
    #3. Bill Gates would deserve knighthood not Steve Jobs, Bill is known for doing charity works and his products is used by more people than Steve.
    Last edited by unison999; 03-01-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    #Bill Gates would deserve knighthood, his products is used by more people than Steve.
    Firstly it is 'his products ARE not IS used, secondly give it time, ios and osx marketshare is increasing at such a rapid rate to the point where you may eat those words far sooner than you think.

Microsoft Fanbois, gotta love 'em both.
    Last edited by chillihound; 03-01-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast