+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Latest MacBook Pros 13-53% Faster According to Latest Benchmarks

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Hey i bought a macbook pro 17 inch with i7 in 2010 is that as good as the ones from now? I keep hearing they are faster but i have
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Hey i bought a macbook pro 17 inch with i7 in 2010 is that as good as the ones from now? I keep hearing they are faster but i have the same chip name and 2.66 GHz so whats the big deal?

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

This looks like a good upgrade but i will be sticking with my late 2008 Model MacBook Pro 15" 2.4 GHZ, 4 GB Ram as its still holds up to my expectations. The only thing i would change on my MBP is maybe battery life but its just an older model and it still lasts 3 1/2 to 4 hours on a full charge depending on what i am doing. Thunderbolt sounds awesome tho and my next MBP will have a MATTE finish on the screen vs. Glossy. Other than that. I am content. Great article tho. Thank you.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I ordered a 13" airbook maxed out last night,it will be my first Mac, so I sure hope I am not disappointed with my new $2,000 toy.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Good thing they didn't use COD4, its an old game now and only the latest one on Mac, no games for Mac anyway.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luketinsley View Post
    There are many third parties out there that offer single connectors to thunderbolt for all your peripherals. Also Apples goal was to create a performance increase in their new models, adding USB 3 would not have given it that increase. So stop complaining and do your research before you post ignorant rants on forums.
    I did my research...thunderbolt(10gb) like firewire doesn't show up as often on the market as usb. a simple up grade to usb from 2.0 to 3.0(5gb) is easy and significant to us who dont want to see another proprietary cable. 3.0 is backwards compatible and will fit nicely where the 2.0 sit today on every mac. The only real reason i can see for apple not including it is because it would take the shine away from "thunderbolt." If you don't like my cometary pass it by.

My iPhone is a Part of Me NSXrebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhtruth View Post
    These results aren't Awe inspiring... especially from the quad-cores... plus im still pissed about Apple not adding usb 3.0 to its hardware... that would have been too easy and hardware is too readily available. Nope, lets take light-peak rename after a yet to be released android phone, and make them wait for hardware that supports this feature... GO APPLE!!!...too hell!
    Apple renamed it "Thunderbolt"
    How about you get your "facts" right. First of all, it was Intel that created this new technology. Light Peak was the prototype name.

Second, it was Intel that changed the name to Thunderbolt.

Third, Intel makes motherboards, and you can count on them including Thunderbolt in their future motherboards that are coming to market. Other PC manufacturers will have Thunderbolt as well.

now go cry elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by StellarZ View Post
    I though Intel named the technology.

Yes, they did.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by endwaro View Post
    Hey i bought a macbook pro 17 inch with i7 in 2010 is that as good as the ones from now? I keep hearing they are faster but i have the same chip name and 2.66 GHz so whats the big deal?
    The difference is the new one's have quad-cores in them and your 2010 has Core 2 Duo, so more cores. You don't really need to worry though, unless you do a lot of video editing or hardcore gaming you probably wouldn't use all four cores.

Thanks

I don't see thunderbolt being adapted by third parties for a while. USB 3 would have been nice to add.

I won't be upgrading.
    Internet killed the video star.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to justin7942163 For This Useful Post:

mhtruth (02-27-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

[QUOTE=NSXrebel;5854693]How about you get your "facts" right. First of all, it was Intel that created this new technology. Light Peak was the prototype name.

Second, it was Intel that changed the name to Thunderbolt.

Third, Intel makes motherboards, and you can count on them including Thunderbolt in their future motherboards that are coming to market. Other PC manufacturers will have Thunderbolt as well.

now go cry elsewhere.

AWE...some performance... I never gave apple credit for the technology, just the name change...Intel also puts firewire on their motherboards, just like they can and do put usb 3.0 on them... Im thinking it order to option sort of thing... and now im ordering you to dismount...thanx in advance!

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tenspeed123 View Post
    Was that remotely necessary, required, or relevant? Not really.
    Yes it was necessary totally relevant totally on topic. If you don't like it don't read it. Was your quoiting me necessary totally relevant ? No it wasn't.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to delusion950 For This Useful Post:

mhtruth (02-27-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post

AWE...some performance... I never gave apple credit for the technology, just the name change...Intel also puts firewire on their motherboards, just like they can and do put usb 3.0 on them... Im thinking it order to option sort of thing... and now im ordering you to dismount...thanx in advance!
    Well Apple didn't rename it either. Also, learn how to quote.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justin7942163 View Post
    I don't see thunderbolt being adapted by third parties for a while. USB 3 would have been nice to add.

I won't be upgrading.
    It'll be at least a year before it's really implemented.

Thanks

Haha nice....!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    Well Apple didn't rename it either. Also, learn how to quote.
    when ever your ready we can move on. I stated my opinion, you stated yours. Live long and prosper.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wonder why fps dropped on the new 13 inch ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    Your still going to get the same battery life as with older models. Apple made their testing even harder putting more pressure, so they got lower time. It's no different than last year. If apple did the same test last year than they would have gotten the same time.
    You don't get a 30% speed increase for nothing. The machine has to give more power to run four rather than two cores. Neither batteries nor processors have gained the amount of efficiency necessary to counteract this in the past year.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2Jaze View Post
    Then I'm guessing it isn't yours either, because 'clearly' the way it was originally worded could've been taken in more ways than one. Unless of course your opting to be a smart-*** about the question overrides your willingness to admit that the wording in referencing the "higher end 15" model" doesn't automatically suggest there are TWO 15" models, and even though there are two on the site, they can be configured any way you like so at first glance one just appeared to have a better processor....which again, could be changed anyway.

Point is unless you've actually BEEN on apple.com, that wording could be taken to mean they're calling the 15" model a "higher end" one, not necessarily referring to the better of two models. So much for using feedback here for helping me choose a model.
    If you had bothered to use some common sense, regardless of the fact you hadn't researched before asking your moronic question, you would have figured it out.

Thanks

when ever your ready we can move on. I stated my opinion, you stated yours. Live long and prosper.
    Either way you're wrong. It's not my opinion that Intel, not Apple, changed the name from Light Peak to Thunderbolt, it's FACT. So now that that has been cleared, yes we can move on. Over at the droid forums everyone is having a similar fit as yours with regard to Thunderbolt. They all think it's an Apple created tech, and changed the name to challenge some Android device called Thunderbolt.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I got the 17" 2.2 but I would love to see the benchmark scores on the 2.3. May be worth replacing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I got the 17" 2.2 but I would love to see the benchmark scores on the 2.3. May be worth replacing
    Do you think there'd be a major difference?