+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Power & Magic:" What's in the Lion Dev Preview

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Work fine. Just used Disk Utility to resize my current Mac OS X partition and then created a new partition with that free space. Booted to the Lion DVD and installed as normal selecting the new partition as the install location.

Before playing with Lion, if you had asked me if I thought Apple would make a touch screen laptop or desktop I'd have said no way. But now I'm not so sure. The inverted Scrolling (annoyed me), the bounciness in Safari, Launch Pad & iOS style folders, Mission Control (which is just Exposť's "Show All Windows option") default Dashboard (which I dislike alot, I prefer the current Dashboard where you can see behind it. Atleast its still an option) all make me lean towards the opinion that we could very well see an iMac Touch this year.
    Maybe some digging in the system files will uncover something?
    Overall I'm not hugely impressed yet. But I'm sure once I play more and tweak things to my liking I'll be more impressed. Not gonna replace SnowLeopard with this Lion beta just yet though.

Actually might make a virtual machine of it and run it in Vmware Fusion.
    I just changed the scrolling gesture, now its normal. I don't like everything that's in here, but most of it is pretty useful.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I just changed the scrolling gesture, now its normal. I don't like everything that's in here, but most of it is pretty useful.
    I got used to the inverted scrolling and when I rebooted back to SnowLeopard I started getting mixed up

I love full screen Apps and having a few open and being able to swipe between then with 4 finger left/right swipes.

I would like to be able to swipe left/right to change between tabs in Safari, don't see myself using the gesture to go back or forward a page.

I find the 3/4 finger up/down and pinch gestures to be a little buggy right now
    You can see in the system pref for trackpad that the examples haven't been updated yet

I don't like the monochrome of the side bar, a la iTunes 10, but at least the x - + buttons are still horizontal and nicely smaller

Whereas Snow Leopard was all about the fine tuning and under the hood features like 64bit, GCD, OpenCL, Lion seems to be Interface and UI

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frail1 View Post
    I'm gonna have to agree with GmAz... I have my idevices to use as idevices. i want my macbook pro to be a macbook pro. Why are they trying to blur that line?
    Well I can say that what ever you would like to call it--- IOS or Lion. The MBP ROCKS with LION. And you don't have to use the launchpad. Also the speed seems to feel like I just installed another processor and more ram. I unplugged my laptop to see what this increased speed does to my bat. But my suspicions tell me that the life will remain the same. My only complaint thus far with LION is the time it took for me to download it thru the dev site. SLOW...

I can say there is no real iPad or iPhone feel. Now, got to go to load Photoshop and other software like parallels to see if they work... As always with a beta I am sure there will be bugs. but from what little I have seen.. Im buying this baby! Lion = two steps forward.

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

I think Apple is trying to take the runaway success they had with the iPad and transfer it over to Mac. They think that so many people loved the iPad, that they should make our OS X systems more like it to attract the iPad users. Too bad the majority or people bought the iPad because it's great at what it does, that is being a TABLET. Just like people by Macs because they are good at what they do, being COMPUTERS.

I don't want a dumbed down version of iOS on my MacBook. I'm all for unity and streamlined features, but there is a line between tablets and hand-sized devices like iPhone and iPod, and the OS X machines that so many of us on this forum have come to love. I don't like them blurring that line.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hacktarded1 View Post
    Mark my words, Lion is going to move Apple to the front of the pack of the entire computing world (just like they already are for smart phones and tablets), which is EXACTLY why they are doing this.
    Apple has about 10% of the global market share, and Windows has about 90%. I highly doubt Lion will make Apple go up another ~46% needed to overtake Windows

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    I got used to the inverted scrolling and when I rebooted back to SnowLeopard I started getting mixed up

I love full screen Apps and having a few open and being able to swipe between then with 4 finger left/right swipes.

I would like to be able to swipe left/right to change between tabs in Safari, don't see myself using the gesture to go back or forward a page.

I find the 3/4 finger up/down and pinch gestures to be a little buggy right now
    You can see in the system pref for trackpad that the examples haven't been updated yet

I don't like the monochrome of the side bar, a la iTunes 10, but at least the x - + buttons are still horizontal and nicely smaller

Whereas Snow Leopard was all about the fine tuning and under the hood features like 64bit, GCD, OpenCL, Lion seems to be Interface and UI
    Yeah I don't like all the gray it has, Apple should put some color back into it,

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Sounds like a step in the wrong direction. I'd be pretty pissed if I had a desktop OS that looked and felt like iOS. I dunno, it sounds like Apple is dumbing their **** down so much its less than useful.
    Agreed. My parents though will love it. Whatever computer you make for people like my parents is a computer I don't want. I do not like that direction. This sums up my feelings on the subject:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX9L2yOL4Rs]YouTube - Sheldon Cooper no le agrada Windows 7[/ame]
    Last edited by lsixecho; 02-25-2011 at 10:57 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone gsmumbo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by staterunner180 View Post
    I think Apple is trying to take the runaway success they had with the iPad and transfer it over to Mac. They think that so many people loved the iPad, that they should make our OS X systems more like it to attract the iPad users. Too bad the majority or people bought the iPad because it's great at what it does, that is being a TABLET. Just like people by Macs because they are good at what they do, being COMPUTERS.

I don't want a dumbed down version of iOS on my MacBook. I'm all for unity and streamlined features, but there is a line between tablets and hand-sized devices like iPhone and iPod, and the OS X machines that so many of us on this forum have come to love. I don't like them blurring that line.
    I really don't get these posts. How is this a dumbed down version of iOS at all? You have launchpad which is pretty much the iOS springboard. Guess what, it is an icon in your dock and a gesture if you set it up to be. You still have your desktop. You still have finder. You still have stacks. You still have the dock which holds applications. You still have everything you know and love about applications in OS X, except you now have the option of organizing them like you would on an iPhone. Nothing was lost, organization was gained.

Full screen apps... Quicktime has been able to go full screen for ages. All of your applications still work in windowed mode exactly how they did before. Only difference is that if you want you now have the option of taking "maximize" to the next level and full screening it. Nothing was lost, more screen space was gained.

iOS scrolling... It made perfect sense on the iPhone and iPad and lots of people are used to it. For people converting from Windows it gives them something familiar(oh, it works like my iPhone!). For OS X users it gives them a new way to work with scrolling. And for everybody, there is a spot in system preferences that lets you choose to use one, the other, or both. Nothing was lost, more options were gained.

Mac App Store... while released before Lion, still falls under the same tent. You can still install 3rd party apps. Your old apps still work the same. The only difference is there is now a better way to find apps if you so choose. You never have to open the app store if you don't want to. Nothing was lost, lots of stuff was gained.

In the end, nothing is really being lost at all. If you wanted to you could ignore all of these iOS like features and use the computer in the exact same way you always have. Apple is just giving their customers more options based on what they have found people like about iOS. I really don't understand all the hate surrounding these changes. It's not turning the mac in to an iOS device. It's adding all the things we love about iOS in to OS X as options so that we can truly customize our computing experience. If you want your iOS to stay on a tablet and not ever leave, then cool. You can not use any of those features in OS X and use your computer like you always have. If you think that you really love how you get immersed in the iPad apps and wish you could have that on a computer, then you can use fullscreen apps. It's all about choice and while I know a lot of people are used to Apple limiting choice, what do you expect them to do when you turn on them as soon as they give it to you? It seems like people are just seeing the buzzwords "computer" "osx" "mac" "iOS" and ranting without even thinking it through in the slightest.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yeah I don't get the posts about it being dumbed down.
    There is a difference between simplified and dumbed down. It's adding (optional) features of iOS to Mac OS X and making your day to day computer use more fluid an intuitive.
    Apple have created millions of new customers with their hugely successful iOS Devices and making their laptops and desktops look and feel more familiar from the start will help Apple gain more market share.
    Almost all of these iOS style UI changes can be turned off, and you can have Lion feel more like SnowLeopard if you want.
    The power of the underlying OS has not been "dumbed down" if anything it's more powerful.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ totally agree

11. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

feidhlim1986 (02-26-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

how can i download it???please neone put the link for it....thanks...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mohak1 View Post
    how can i download it???please neone put the link for it....thanks...
    You need a Mac Developer Account.
    http://developer.apple.com

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I am installing it right now

iPhone? More like MyPhone red_zone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tom3k View Post
    i think that xzibit was on the dev team for it though. only way i can explain "mission control". "yo dawg, i heard you like window management, so i put your mission control inside your expose inside your spaces on your dashboard for your desktop so you can manage while you manage while managing your management"
    ahahah

+1
    GEOHOT VS. SONY- A FREAKING EPIC BLOG

iHack iDevices

PRESS THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think the reason why they are making this new os similar to iOS is to make the transition for pc users easier.

iPhone? More like MyPhone red_zone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waaasobe View Post
    I think the reason why they are making this new os similar to iOS is to make the transition for pc users easier.

Mac OS is already very user friendly the way it is now.
    GEOHOT VS. SONY- A FREAKING EPIC BLOG

iHack iDevices

PRESS THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED

Green Apple
    Thanks

should i use this preview to replace SL or should i not?
    Im eman297

Thanks
    If you don't mind a few bugs here and there. I would recommend that you back up everything before you install too. I installed over my main system and am loving it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eman297 View Post
    should i use this preview to replace SL or should i not?
    I do iOS development for a living and I've made a permanent switch. I absolutely love it to bits.

I was dreading all of the gesture and launchpad crap but on a 13" space is often a nightmare and the new features make life so much easier.

I love having safari in full screen and accessible with just a swipe. Yeah expose and spaces allowed you to do this in a similar fashion but Lion just makes everything better.

It's a little buggy. I've had a few issues with Admin privileges (only on one 3rd party app) and Safari is really buggy, sometimes scrolling fails and there are graphical glitches.

Other than that it's fully functional. I've been using it all day and I've been through all of my apps and never encountered anything problematic.

That said I've got my entire SL system backed up in Time Machine just incase, but I can't see myself downgrading.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twimfy View Post
    I do iOS development for a living and I've made a permanent switch. I absolutely love it to bits.

I was dreading all of the gesture and launchpad crap but on a 13" space is often a nightmare and the new features make life so much easier.

I love having safari in full screen and accessible with just a swipe. Yeah expose and spaces allowed you to do this in a similar fashion but Lion just makes everything better.

It's a little buggy. I've had a few issues with Admin privileges (only on one 3rd party app) and Safari is really buggy, sometimes scrolling fails and there are graphical glitches.

Other than that it's fully functional. I've been using it all day and I've been through all of my apps and never encountered anything problematic.

That said I've got my entire SL system backed up in Time Machine just incase, but I can't see myself downgrading.
    ill do a partition ands see how i like it, thanks
    Im eman297