+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Power & Magic:" What's in the Lion Dev Preview

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The scrolling gesture changed, so if you want to go down you scroll up on the trackpad and vice versa. A little weird at first. Originally Posted by h2a Installed
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

The scrolling gesture changed, so if you want to go down you scroll up on the trackpad and vice versa. A little weird at first.

Quote Originally Posted by h2a View Post
    Installed it almost as soon as it came out. I love it. The only thing they've done is make things better. Everything else still works the same. You still have Command-Q and Command-S, auto-save is something that'll be built into apps. the auto resume windows have been wonderful so far. i love that i can reboot to where i was when i left.
    Completely agree, auto resume is excellent!
    Last edited by steve-z17; 02-25-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Before I go and download it, can you dual boot (or triple boot) Snow Leopard, Lion and Windows on a Mac?
    If I just partition a few GB's for Lion can I have all three installed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Sounds like a step in the wrong direction. I'd be pretty pissed if I had a desktop OS that looked and felt like iOS. I dunno, it sounds like Apple is dumbing their **** down so much its less than useful.
    if you watch the video they got out now....its an option to bring up that menu to look like the ios...

its just not always there..

Thanks

Talking yo dawg
    i think that xzibit was on the dev team for it though. only way i can explain "mission control". "yo dawg, i heard you like window management, so i put your mission control inside your expose inside your spaces on your dashboard for your desktop so you can manage while you manage while managing your management"

OH AND BTW>>>> i am looking for a friend to help me out with getting back in the developer program, i never renewed mine after the 3gs ios beta release debacle, perhaps someone is feeling generous enough to help a fellow fan boy out. would love to pull this down and at least throw it on one of my macs.
    Last edited by tom3k; 02-25-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: looking for dev program access

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Before I go and download it, can you dual boot (or triple boot) Snow Leopard, Lion and Windows on a Mac?
    If I just partition a few GB's for Lion can I have all three installed.
    The closest thing I could find on that is here

6. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

feidhlim1986 (02-25-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    The closest thing I could find on that is here
    Thanks for that. Sure I'll create a 20GB Partition anywho and see if holding 'option' on boot allows me to choose between the three.
    Gonna backup via TimeMachine just to be safe tho

8. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

steve-z17 (02-25-2011)

Thanks

Will download it today a due testing over the weekend on my mid'09 15" MPB, but this iOS integration and more "dumb-user" settings like auto-autosave push my balls hard. I want to be capable to ENABLE features i want, not disable those i don't...
    This might pretty much end up with Snow Leo as my last Apple OS on my macs and... welcome debian-testing, maybe LMDE. Sigh...
    Last edited by dennder; 02-25-2011 at 12:30 PM.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey guys, would any of you run Lion over your current OS. Like an upgrade? I know it's a beta but I am considering trying it. I have plenty of time machine backups and all of my important info is stored on a network drive si I'm not to worried about loosing any info . Any opinions would be helpful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Thanks for that. Sure I'll create a 20GB Partition anywho and see if holding 'option' on boot allows me to choose between the three.
    Gonna backup via TimeMachine just to be safe tho
    Sweet, let me know how it goes! I may do the same thing.

Thanks

hey look a mouse that has the same concept as the click wheel... you can put icons on your desktop and create folders...where have i seen this all before..oh yeah windows from the get go.

Thanks

Got the beta, nothing wrong with it!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hacktarded1 View Post
    I can certainly understand why some people would be upset by these changes as Apple has always been for what I would consider "true computer junkies" who have a much broader knowledge base about computing in general and who are more likely to use a computer for much more complicated tasks than the typical Windows/PC user. And many of you see this Lion software "upgrade" as a move towards the over simplification or "dumbing down" of computer software in general.

That being said, the very reason Apple's stock has shot through the roof is the simplicity and intelligent design of the iOS ecosystem built in to the iPhone and iPad. My 3 year old son can start up the iPad, navigate a few pages over to his favorite Thomas the Train game and play it all by himself for hours on end. HE'S 3 YEARS OLD!

I'm sorry, but that's brilliant! Apple has succesfully created a computer software interface for people who were previously too inexperienced or intimidated by computers to use. This is the very reason they have become such a successful and highly sought after product.

It only makes sense for Apple (as a company that is ultimately responsible to it's share holders) to redesign their laptop and desktop software programs to be just as accessible! This type of usability or as some of you are calling it "dumbing down" is exactly what Apple needs to do to completely take over the laptop market!

I respect that some of you who are more computer savvy would be upset about this, but frankly, in the eyes of Apple, it's more important for them to appeal to the masses of less tech savy people (because there are A LOT more of them than there are of you), than it is for them to continue to be popular with the smaller group of "power users" who are disappointed by this change.

Mark my words, Lion is going to move Apple to the front of the pack of the entire computing world (just like they already are for smart phones and tablets), which is EXACTLY why they are doing this. They aren't concerned about losing a few "power users" (because where are you gonna go? what else is out there that is much better?). What they're concerned about is broadening their appeal to the masses (because that's where the money that they don't currently have in desktop and laptop market is).

I for one am looking forward to this change and will likely be compelled to finally purchase a Mac based computer.

That's my 2 cents on it...... well maybe more like 50 cents, so keep the change.
    Agree in every aspect, good point!

h2a
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    Hey guys, would any of you run Lion over your current OS. Like an upgrade? I know it's a beta but I am considering trying it. I have plenty of time machine backups and all of my important info is stored on a network drive si I'm not to worried about loosing any info . Any opinions would be helpful.
    i installed it on top of my main system after testing it out on its own for a bit and i haven't had any issues other than ModMyI being extremely slow on safari. i don't rely on my machine to make money, so any small inconveniences that come up, i'm prepared to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyScottie View Post
    hey look a mouse that has the same concept as the click wheel... you can put icons on your desktop and create folders...where have i seen this all before..oh yeah windows from the get go.
    really? i don't even understand what you're talking about in regards to a mouse, and Mac OS came before windows, and has always had icons and folders. go troll your *** somewhere else.

Thanks
    I wanna install over my main but what about apps?. Anyone had problems using old app?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Sweet, let me know how it goes! I may do the same thing.
    Work fine. Just used Disk Utility to resize my current Mac OS X partition and then created a new partition with that free space. Booted to the Lion DVD and installed as normal selecting the new partition as the install location.

Before playing with Lion, if you had asked me if I thought Apple would make a touch screen laptop or desktop I'd have said no way. But now I'm not so sure. The inverted Scrolling (annoyed me), the bounciness in Safari, Launch Pad & iOS style folders, Mission Control (which is just Exposť's "Show All Windows option") default Dashboard (which I dislike alot, I prefer the current Dashboard where you can see behind it. Atleast its still an option) all make me lean towards the opinion that we could very well see an iMac Touch this year.
    Maybe some digging in the system files will uncover something?
    Overall I'm not hugely impressed yet. But I'm sure once I play more and tweak things to my liking I'll be more impressed. Not gonna replace SnowLeopard with this Lion beta just yet though.

Actually might make a virtual machine of it and run it in Vmware Fusion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h2a View Post
    i installed it on top of my main system after testing it out on its own for a bit and i haven't had any issues other than ModMyI being extremely slow on safari. i don't rely on my machine to make money, so any small inconveniences that come up, i'm prepared to deal with.

really? i don't even understand what you're talking about in regards to a mouse, and Mac OS came before windows, and has always had icons and folders. go troll your *** somewhere else.
    apple is making a big deal of having icons on your desktop that you can put into folders.. the 1980s called

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyScottie View Post
    apple is making a big deal of having icons on your desktop that you can put into folders.. the 1980s called
    Must be a Jersey thing....

Thanks
    Only real problem I am having right now is that sometimes the dock will quit randomly and when using launchpad sometimes the background will be all grey and messed up or it will cause my display to go all pixely and messed up. I have to restart to fix that. Other than that no problem at all

Thanks

I hate this. These concepts feel like they are going to be screwing with my files etc without my permission. Leave my Mac OS, Mac OS. I don't know what I will do if changes like this keep coming. I could never go to windows (yuck!!!!) and I can't use Linux because of the lack of developer support. And I just cant not update and stay on an outdated OS forever. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Update: Installing on Vmware Fusion doesn't seem to work
    If anyone figures it out let us know.