+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Next Step for iTunes: Apple's 'Insurance' Plan

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
With reports that Apple's Data Center in North Carolina is set to go live around the middle of this year, many have speculated the exact use for the massive site.
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default The Next Step for iTunes: Apple's 'Insurance' Plan

With reports that Apple's Data Center in North Carolina is set to go live around the middle of this year, many have speculated the exact use for the massive site. One likely use is for the evolution of MobileMe, the other may be to extend users' iTunes libraries to the cloud, allowing users access to their music from anywhere.

This is easier said than done. iTunes is a direct-download service that focuses on user's purchasing their content and then owning it. When Apple acquired music streaming service LaLa in late 2009, many thought the next logical step was to allow users to pay for streaming. However, this would require Apple to renegotiate their deals with the many music labels that currently sell their music for download in iTunes. There's been reports that even allowing Apple to have its users upload music to its servers and play back their purchased music would require a re-negotiation.

According to the Financial Times, a "person with knowledge of Apple's plans said that company did not want to undermine the market it dominates." Apparently, Apple has positioned a new service, which may be unveiled at Apple's event March 2nd. From this same source, Apple's plan is not a shake-up of the market it's cornered, but rather an "insurance" plan to make sure iTunes continues to dominate the music download market.

This seems like a win-win for just about everyone (except maybe Spotify). We'll most likely have to wait until next week for more details, but here's hoping we'll be able to access our entire music libraries from the cloud sooner than later.

Source:
    AppleInsider
    Financial Times
    Last edited by Matt Savoca; 02-24-2011 at 09:37 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Savoca For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (02-25-2011)

Thanks

Actually sounds pretty good

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Either way, looks like we're gonna get a great new feature!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Hopefully we don't have to pay for it though... but knowing Apple slapping a $99 fee and calling it revolutionary is standard.

Thanks

Umm does anyone else think scary scary I like having physical possession of my belongings from photos to ringtones. Once they are no longer tangible then they are not mine. Woohoo for imaginary toys? No I don't think so.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm waiting for apple to take the Sony route and start banning people from iTunes store and game center and mobile me who jailbreak their idevices.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob2G For This Useful Post:

eman297 (02-25-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Well the event will be exciting as usual

Thanks
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 2,187 Posts

Yup can't wait
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

They'll call it magical if you throw in another $50.

JK.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greeneyes5066 View Post
    Umm does anyone else think scary scary I like having physical possession of my belongings from photos to ringtones. Once they are no longer tangible then they are not mine. Woohoo for imaginary toys? No I don't think so.
    So your saying the music you own now is tangible....... as in you can actually touch it?? Seriously dude your music would be the same you would just have the additional option of streaming it over the internet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Doran's Avatar
    Thanks

I feel for the ones that were not grandfathered into the "Unlimited Data" plan. This new feature could cost them a lot....

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

It's all about the Event, we're going to hear some sweet stuff!

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trent_behunin View Post
    So your saying the music you own now is tangible....... as in you can actually touch it?? Seriously dude your music would be the same you would just have the additional option of streaming it over the internet.
    I think what he means by music being tangible is you can do whatever you want with it, wherever, whenever. Obviously when it comes to music, u don't touch it, u listen to it. And yes....if you have a music file (mp3) you can touch it...u can move it from file to file, computer to computer, computer to idevice, etc....making it tangible.

I imagine what apple will do (knowing apple) is you will only be able to have complete control over your music files if they have been purchased through iTunes, and iTunes only. Similar to what Apple has done with ping. What this means is you will only be able to stream the files you have purchased in iTunes. Not the CDs you have payed for and own, and have copied to your computer. I imagine these files will sadly never be accessible through apples "cloud".
    El Zurdo

16. The Following User Says Thank You to iLoveWindows&iPhone For This Useful Post:

AkkeDaBest (02-25-2011)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    I imagine what apple will do (knowing apple) is you will only be able to have complete control over your music files if they have been purchased through iTunes, and iTunes only. Similar to what Apple has done with ping. What this means is you will only be able to stream the files you have purchased in iTunes. Not the CDs you have payed for and own, and have copied to your computer. I imagine these files will sadly never be accessible through apples "cloud".
    That would be sooooooo typical Apple

Thanks

Maybe the cloud can be used for users that want to utilize it....still keep iTunes but offer the cloud as an alternative paid service??

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

This is obviously what they'll do. Fully expect everyone to be shocked and outraged about it even though it'd be ridiculous to do anything else.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    Hopefully we don't have to pay for it though... but knowing Apple slapping a $99 fee and calling it revolutionary is standard.
    Hope so! But i'm afraid that thinking on the Cyberdine Building they tossed, they want some in return...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    I'm waiting for apple to take the Sony route and start banning people from iTunes store and game center and mobile me who jailbreak their idevices.
    why would you want that, jailbreaking is awesome
    Im eman297

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I think what he means by music being tangible is you can do whatever you want with it, wherever, whenever. Obviously when it comes to music, u don't touch it, u listen to it. And yes....if you have a music file (mp3) you can touch it...u can move it from file to file, computer to computer, computer to idevice, etc....making it tangible.

Another way to make money.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eman297 View Post
    why would you want that, jailbreaking is awesome
    I said Waiting Not Wanting.
    [SIGPIC]