+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Pulls MobileMe From Online Store

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
MobileMe has gone missing from Apple's online store. As a result, Apple has allegedly started telling third-party resellers that the folks in Cupertino have discontinued the $99 boxed versions of
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple Pulls MobileMe From Online Store

MobileMe has gone missing from Apple's online store. As a result, Apple has allegedly started telling third-party resellers that the folks in Cupertino have discontinued the $99 boxed versions of MobileMe. The development comes as Apple debuts no shortage of intriguing new offerings. As Paul covered this morning, Thursday brought with it a refreshed MacBook Pro model range, delivering updated "Sandy Bridge" Intel Core processors, AMD Radeon graphics, Thunderbolt I/O, and more.

The disappearance of the paid version of MobileMe, however, suggests that another longstanding rumor may be on the verge of proving correct. As it stands, Apple is believed to be readying MobileMe as a free service rooted in cloud-based digital lockers for one's multimedia. Heightening speculation toward this eventuality, during yesterday's annual Apple shareholders meeting, Apple revealed that its massive $1 billion North Carolina-based data center is about to come online - a reality that would expedite the rumored plans to send MobileMe to the clouds.

As always, any suspicion of Apple doing something in the clouds should be taken with a grain of salt. We all know that Apple has allegedly been readying a cloud-based iTunes service for as long as anyone can remember. We're yet to see the fruits of Apple's suspected labor on that front. But if MobileMe, in fact, does become a cloud-based service in the coming weeks, there may finally be reason to think that iTunes will follow closely thereafter.

Source: Apple (MobileMe product not found)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Funked (02-24-2011), IcerMize (02-24-2011), reaves205 (02-24-2011)

Thanks
    Default About time!
    About time. MobileMe has been a hellava overpriced service.
    Last edited by AkkeDaBest; 02-24-2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Sorry z3r01

iPhone? More like MyPhone frail1's Avatar
    Thanks

if it goes free i'm gonna be pissed! i just renewed my subscription!

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

If it goes free I'll be happy cause I am going to renew on June, that will save me 60 buck's.

Thanks

I will be happy if they made this free. They could also have a pro version of this.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

I could see Apple making an announcement about cloud-based storage during their iPad reveal... perhaps as a way to sell consumers to the new hardware. The inability to store files toward any other media other then e-mail (without paying $99 a year) is a big put-off to many (including myself). Needless to say, I'll still get the 2nd gen iPad anyway... But it sure would sweeten the deal for the masses who have held off due to that fact.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just renewed mine on saturday. DAMMIT!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I would not worry. Apple will give something for the users who renewed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm using Google MS Exchange syncing and the only reason I haven't used MobileMe is the price.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to vedavis For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (02-24-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Am I the only one who has ever been 'meh' over MobileMe? I kind of feel like the only function that I really use now is restoring of contacts and calendar information when I wipe and re-JB. Dropbox's cloud is nicer, and with minimal things actually on the MobileMe cloud, it's kind of boring. I dunno, maybe I'm picky.

Green Apple
    Thanks

if it goes free they need to some how make it up to everyone who has paid for it for years or still in contract other wise they are going to tick off alot of people and i don't see them doing that

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! i was going to start the free trial than maybe pay. Now its going to hopefully be free.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Never understood why it cost so much when google offers the same for free. Only service that wasn't on google sync is the find my phone feature which is now free to new idevices. So MobileMe was now useless and I guess that's why it might become free.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Come on be real..

We are talking about Apple here, why give something away for free that's currently making them money??

Does not make sense from a logical standpoint and a business standpoint.

They may offer some free services but do you really think to use THEIR service with THEIR data center that costed THEM millions of dollars to make to just give it for free?? Lol. Don't be naive.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple. For This Useful Post:

Massoud (02-24-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Guys i have seeing the future and i can say i have another rumor!!!!!!!!!! The new ipad and iphone and ipod touch will all be able to use thunderbolt!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just imagine!!! Blazing fast syncing!!! To bad i wont be getting that ill wait for 2012 for the new macbook pro.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It had to happen. Data is the most important thing to the user. Apple wants users to stay. Why not get them to store the data with apple. I can get a new phone and load my google acct and I am done. Mobile me makes switching a bit harder.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    Am I the only one who has ever been 'meh' over MobileMe? I kind of feel like the only function that I really use now is restoring of contacts and calendar information when I wipe and re-JB. Dropbox's cloud is nicer, and with minimal things actually on the MobileMe cloud, it's kind of boring. I dunno, maybe I'm picky.
    I'm with ya on that one! Haven't had the desire to get it, it's too expensive I think.

Thanks

im sure you'd get some sort of refund...i would hope anyway

Im not a big CLOUD fan really...but if it's free its for me :]
    Last edited by bigboyz; 02-24-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I have MobileMe for Push email. Calendar, Contacts & Bookmarks backup and sync. iPhone security features. Simple Webhosting & iDisk. I backup all my photos too to the Gallery.
    Now that I think about it I don't mind spending the 79 a year cos I use MobileMe quite a bit. I would love it all to be free tho