Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 121 to 134 of 134

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Geohot Raises Big Bucks Over The Weekend, Ends Donation Program for Now

  1. #121
    MMi's "X" Member awesomeSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dragonspiral Tower in 3DS
    Posts
    4,524
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 347 Times in 259 Posts

    Why am I reading all of this comments? This isn't getting better. Or perhaps, jailbreaking should rot to death due to arrogant and ignorant users.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

  2. #122
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southampton, NJ
    Posts
    296
    Thanks
    81
    Thanked 55 Times in 25 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by awesomeSlayer View Post
    Why am I reading all of this comments? This isn't getting better. Or perhaps, jailbreaking should rot to death due to arrogant and ignorant users.
    While I understand and am even in agreement with your animosity towards some of the misguided things that have flown across this forum, I really want to encourage you and the other people with our stance to continue to try and keep the community together on this one. There will be those that come and go, but if we tear ourselves apart from the inside, then jailbreaking really will be rotting to death.

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    I can't believe that people still have the audacity to complain about Geohot this far into it. If you have EVER used blackra1n-limera1n, etc... I mean... COME ON.

    This is not a battle between Company X and 'some kid who you don't like'... This is a battle between SONY, and someone who represents what we do and stand for: Hacking our products for the betterment of using the hardware. Just because Geo plays the game a little louder than YOU would want doesn't change the role he plays in this lawsuit. He's 20 for crying out loud. Were you fully adult at 20? Get off his balls and help him out.
    t I couldn't put it any better--[/QUOTE]

    Quote Originally Posted by nicrfe View Post
    Its odd he isn't trying to get as much cash as he can. i think that shows that he is a good person. just trying to get what he needs. I hope he wins this for all of us. its bigger then him. this is about what i do every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerC161 View Post
    If you guys understood the full situation with Sony and him better I'm sure you would see where he is coming from in asking for donations.

    He's changed the way I use my PS3 all over, and its pathetic the only way I can thank him was my $10 donation, but alas help is help. Sony is going to try to make an example out of him in court and I dont want to see that happen.

    Jailbreaking for mobile devices was declared legal, it should be no different for PS3. Especially to enable PREVIOUS functions (linux) that were advertised when the console was bought but removed by Sony.
    Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign

    The Family iPhone 2G , iPhone 3G ,Iphone 3Gs , Iphone 4
    13" MacBook ( Black )



  4. #124
    Give the money to charity like helping kids, something a bit more worth while

    Yeah so jailbreaking is handy and then what ?
    Last edited by lordz; 02-22-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  5. #125
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,742
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post
    I'm really bored with all of this. He's a dorky kid, with some computers skills, no social skills and a lot of free time. He's done some cool stuff, but legions of followers have succeeded in turning this, let's admit it, pretty obnoxious kid into some sort of holy martyr.

    I'm all for being "pro hacking community" but there's inherent risks in such behavior. Getting caught doesn't make someone special, in most cases it makes them sloppy and/or arrogant, and his behavior since has pretty much cemented the latter.

    Did he crack it first? Maybe, don't really care to be honest, but the notion that without him this entire community wouldn't exist is just downright silly. There's plenty of brilliant people working in this community. He's just the one who decided to run to the front of the pack, likely to massage a very fragile ego.

    Help him if you must, but don't make him out to be something he's not.
    Well hello there, Debbie Downer. I'm glad you found your way to the party.

    Unfortunately, I fail to see your point. Obnoxious? Sure, but it does seem that a disproportionately large number of people at the top of their various fields also share that trait, when compared to the norm.

    Your second point loses me altogether. Getting caught? That implies he was trying to commit such acts anonymously and/or was trying to evade any accountability whatsoever for it; both of which he absolutely could have accomplished if he had truly wanted to.

    Of course this community would exist without George, but I think you underestimate how significantly different the landscape of it would be. It isn't as if he just got lucky and found us an exploit and then slipped off into oblivion. Let's take a look at what he has contributed:

    • Published the first iPhone hardware unlock.

    • Published the first iPhone hardware unlock for bootloader 4.6

    • Software unlocked BL 4.6 via Minus 0x20000 with Back Extend Erase.

    • Found the AT+stkprof vulnerability in baseband 2.28.00.

    • Independently found the BL 5.8 exploit.

    • Found the iBoot Environment Variable Overflow exploit.

    • Released purplera1n, which used said exploit.

    • Released purplesn0w, an X-Gold 608 unlock for 4.26.08.

    • Independently found the usb_control_msg(0x21, 2) Exploit.

    • Released blackra1n, which used said exploit.

    • Discovered how to exploit AT+XEMN (but did not discover the crash)

    • Released blacksn0w, which used said exploit to unlock X-Gold 608 firmware 5.11.07.

    • Released limera1n.
    Are there other brilliant young minds in this community? Absolutely! However, I believe his accomplishments easily put him in the top two or three out there, alongside PlanetBeing and probably Comex (just my opinion on the fly).

    That's just my two cents, but I prefer to stick with the facts rather than making assumptions. Then again, what do I know, I'm just another young kid with way too much free time on my hands and no social skills whatsoever.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

    Lombardo Joe (02-22-2011)

  7. #126
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,287
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 150 Times in 128 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Well hello there, Debbie Downer. I'm glad you found your way to the party.

    Unfortunately, I fail to see your point. Obnoxious? Sure, but it does seem that a disproportionately large number of people at the top of their various fields also share that trait, when compared to the norm.

    Your second point loses me altogether. Getting caught? That implies he was trying to commit such acts anonymously and/or was trying to evade any accountability whatsoever for it; both of which he absolutely could have accomplished if he had truly wanted to.

    Of course this community would exist without George, but I think you underestimate how significantly different the landscape of it would be. It isn't as if he just got lucky and found us an exploit and then slipped off into oblivion. Let's take a look at what he has contributed:



    Are there other brilliant young minds in this community? Absolutely! However, I believe his accomplishments easily put him in the top two or three out there, alongside PlanetBeing and probably Comex (just my opinion on the fly).

    That's just my two cents, but I prefer to stick with the facts rather than making assumptions. Then again, what do I know, I'm just another young kid with way too much free time on my hands and no social skills whatsoever.
    Well said!

  8. #127
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southampton, NJ
    Posts
    296
    Thanks
    81
    Thanked 55 Times in 25 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    ...That's just my two cents, but I prefer to stick with the facts rather than making assumptions. Then again, what do I know, I'm just another young kid with way too much free time on my hands and no social skills whatsoever.
    Aaaand boom goes the dynamite.

  9. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    You do realize that GP had just as many issues too, right?

    Also, I'd suggest you go back and look at why he rushed the release of limera1n.
    Thats what im thinking, most of the ones that are critizing geo were mad at greenposion cuz it jb iphone 3gs and then came geo limerain and helped them! No one forcing you to donate to him but think before posting some useless comment.

  10. #129
    Default Lets all Boycott Sony
    Lets all boycott Sony, for as long as Sony pursues this issue, letís stop buying they products, we donít need sonyís products any way, because Samsung and every body else is making better products than Sony nowadays. Lets get the word out all over the web, get the whole community involve and stop this Goliath from crushing us little guys.

  11. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    If everyone donates at least one dollar we can raise over 1million in no time...
    Great if that could happen!

  12. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Well said!
    Worst comment ever.

  13. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibkoool View Post
    Lets all boycott Sony, for as long as Sony pursues this issue, let’s stop buying they products, we don’t need sony’s products any way, because Samsung and every body else is making better products than Sony nowadays. Lets get the word out all over the web, get the whole community involve and stop this Goliath from crushing us little guys.
    Agreed

  14. #133
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southampton, NJ
    Posts
    296
    Thanks
    81
    Thanked 55 Times in 25 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jsweeney800 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Well said!
    Worst comment ever.
    Worst comment ever.




    Sorry, I couldn't resist.

  15. #134
    No matter how many "rounds of donations" he needs I will always gonna support brilliants minds like his, we owe him more than a little donation, its my opinion.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •