+ Reply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 134

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Geohot Raises Big Bucks Over The Weekend, Ends Donation Program for Now

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by Brr No one has come up with another very plausible explanation. What if he's got such a huge war chest he had to slow it down? Maybe
...
  1. #61
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Brr View Post
    No one has come up with another very plausible explanation.

    What if he's got such a huge war chest he had to slow it down? Maybe he's received tens of thousands of dollars and doesn't want to be responsible for so much money that showered him? And he's thinking that if it does end up costing more than he thinks then he can go for that next round.

    Hmmm.

    Any which way, Sony is losing and must be at least very worried that he's got support. That will come out to be true in a jury and a court room too.

    As much money as Sony can throw at this, it's not in their best interest to risk losing public support which they obviously have on their hands now. If I were Geo I'd be on CNN, FOX news, etc etc. Advice to Geo, don't get cocky. Be humble and good then take this to the public and watch Sony squeal hard.

    Good luck Geo.

    agreed. unless he takes it to the media i really dont think he'll get the same amount of sympathy in the next "round" of donations. he should of just kept it open..

    all in all, this should knock his ego down a few pegs which should be good for him.

  2. #62
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southampton, NJ
    Posts
    296
    Thanks
    81
    Thanked 55 Times in 25 Posts

    ...Ok. I understand if logic and reason don't have enough gas to make it to this party. I understand if you want to hold grudges. Whatever. For for the people that want to make this about themselves and how they feel about his products/services rendered, take this into consideration:

    If he loses, this will get you. This will ruin jailbreaking for you. As of now, we have the stronger hand in terms of the legality of jailbreaking (regardless of how companies try to intimidate us out of it). But this is a card game in which the deck is constantly being shuffled. We may have three of a kind, but if SONY gets the flush, Apple will deal back in.

    I say again. If SONY wins, we lose. Flame away.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lombardo Joe For This Useful Post:

    BumbleBeez (02-22-2011), joe97 (02-21-2011), mortopher (02-21-2011)

  4. #63
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,905
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,923 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTequila View Post
    I'm not taking anybody's sides as it is my personal philosophy not to look at things in black and white. With that said, I see a missing piece in this that people have not identified.

    It is one thing to buy a product and mess with the product you now own. However, it is another to encourage other people to mess with theirs by spreading a hacking program.

    Don't get me wrong. I am not Sony's side. I just believe in fairness, and I believe that's a valid point we need to consider.

    Either way, I hope there will be a solution that can work out for both parties for the best. I don't think Geohot is a bad person. I don't think Sony is a bad company.
    Just trying to prove a point but not argue...wouldn't you say the same for jailbreaking then? It's a massively distributed tool that we all here on MMi use. Wouldn't it then be fair if Apple sued him for jailbreaking and encouraging us to do so as well? We all purchased our phones (and PS3 In this specific situation), should we not be allowed to do as we want with it? I'm sure Sony could care less if we bought a PS3 and ran it over with a car, but they care if we modify it. Both ways we are doing as we want with the $300+ we spent on it.

    The kid doesnt need to get sued, not like he stole his PS3 from a store or anything.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

    cheesehotdog (02-22-2011)

  6. #64
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    273
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked 104 Times in 74 Posts

    yup. if sony wins this deal it's more government regulation on what we can and can't do with our stuff, so essentially it's not really our stuff anymore, it's the government's stuff and they let us borrow it as long as we use it how they tell us to, just like in China. If Sony wins this we might as well just kiss this whole forum goodbye.
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3239680&dateline=1295  582579

  7. #65
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,905
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,923 Posts

    Also, the whole limera1n being buggy thing...he may have been an @ss to release it pre-emptively, but that pushed the other devs to fix it up and release a less buggy jb tool. It got some people the jb they wanted earlier. Not just that but all jailbreaks are buggy, some less than others, but nonethless still. GP on 4.2.1 took me 3 tries to work and that was also released buggy. They fixed it along the way, at first it wasn't even working for the first batch of Mac users.

    It's not to say jb is not possible without him, it's just to say he contributes largely to it.

  8. #66
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Goof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    688
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 53 Times in 50 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    "First round of donations"
    Implies he'll be looking for more money to help him out of his self dug hole
    Your stupid, your using Geohot's jailbreaking tools for FREE, can you imagine if Geohot was to charge people for his jailbreaks.

  9. #67
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,905
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,923 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iGoof View Post
    Your stupid, your using Geohot's jailbreaking tools for FREE, can you imagine if Geohot was to charge people for his jailbreaks.
    Feel free to disagree with others but please refrain from using insulting language. Thanks.

  10. #68
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    273
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked 104 Times in 74 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTequila View Post
    I'm not taking anybody's sides as it is my personal philosophy not to look at things in black and white. With that said, I see a missing piece in this that people have not identified.

    It is one thing to buy a product and mess with the product you now own. However, it is another to encourage other people to mess with theirs by spreading a hacking program.

    Don't get me wrong. I am not Sony's side. I just believe in fairness, and I believe that's a valid point we need to consider.

    Either way, I hope there will be a solution that can work out for both parties for the best. I don't think Geohot is a bad person. I don't think Sony is a bad company.

    How about if you see someone or a friend or a buddy or a peer who has cool awesome really neat-o stuff on their iphone or ps3 and you say hey friend buddy peer how did you get your iphone or ps3 to do that? and then they tell you and you say wow friend buddy peer could you help me do that so I can have cool awesome really neat-o stuff on my iphone or ps3 too? and they say yeah man I'll help you do that. Does this count as "encouraging other people to mess with theirs by spreading a hacking program?"

    because that's pretty much what I did.

    point being it's not like he pushed anyone into jailbreaking. we all could have seen that very first video of the unlocked original iphone and said..."meh...not very cool geohot dude...I'll keep my iphone the way it is on at&t and with that boring-a** old black background." We all took the red pill (and continue to do so on a regular basis) willingly.
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3239680&dateline=1295  582579

  11. #69
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    You probably think that Rosa Parks was just a stubborn b1tch too, don't ya?
    For the love of everything good in this world, please tell me I'm hallucinating and you did not just put geohot and ROSA PARKS in the same sentence....................

    WOW.

  12. #70
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Go geohot!

    The big issue with sony and apple and all companies that wabt to stop jailbreaking is apperantly wether or not the device's OS is licenced or sold to us.

    Im not sure about anyone else, but as soon as i buy my items i assume everything, including the OS, now belongs to me for this device and therefor i should do whatever the hell i want to it because after all i just finished paying 300+ for it.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yair_213 For This Useful Post:

    joe97 (02-21-2011), Lombardo Joe (02-21-2011)

  14. #71
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,905
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,923 Posts

    I thought it was a cute remark

    Not exactly the best comparison but a good point

  15. #72
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,825
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    You do realize that GP had just as many issues too, right?

    Also, I'd suggest you go back and look at why he rushed the release of limera1n.
    Exactly. He is not the only one to release jailbreak trainwrecks. How about the whole "hey! Jailbreak your phone with the iPad baseband fiasco".

  16. #73
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I can honestly say that I've never used geohot's stuff.

  17. #74
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,905
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,923 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Exactly. He is not the only one to release jailbreak trainwrecks. How about the whole "hey! Jailbreak your phone with the iPad baseband fiasco".
    Yeah that iPad baseband on an iPhone is STILL not a good idea. No fix for the GPS break after this long, I'd say it's not the best release from the devs. For goodness sake some people didn't even know their GPS was broken bc they thought Google Maps was a good way to test it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yesk View Post
    I can honestly say that I've never used geohot's stuff.
    Have you ever jailbroken your iDevice with any jailbreak after 4.1? Because then you have
    Last edited by i.Annie; 02-21-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  18. #75
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    273
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked 104 Times in 74 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by yair_213 View Post
    Go geohot!

    The big issue with sony and apple and all companies that wabt to stop jailbreaking is apperantly wether or not the device's OS is licenced or sold to us.

    Im not sure about anyone else, but as soon as i buy my items i assume everything, including the OS, now belongs to me for this device and therefor i should do whatever the hell i want to it because after all i just finished paying 300+ for it.
    That's probably the best first post you could have ever posted on this site- welcome to mmi!
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3239680&dateline=1295  582579

  19. #76
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I thought it was a cute remark

    Not exactly the best comparison but a good point
    Yes, cute as in you chuckle because it was so ignorant...
    I myself do not find that type of blatant ignorance cute. I'm white also...not that it matters- just saying.

    Hey, to each his/her own.

  20. #77
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,905
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,923 Posts

    I wouldnt get too offended. It was just proving a point.

    I suppose it wouldve looked better if the comparison was made with a white person in context, as long as it isn't a minority.

    Like I said, not the best comparison, but point well made with no insult to any race/gender/person, in fact its quite supportive towards Rosa Parks. Indicating she had a right, and did good for people with her actions.

  21. #78
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,825
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    And started a well needed revolution in this country.

  22. #79
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,905
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,923 Posts

    Very much so

  23. #80
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    geohot for president <333333333333

+ Reply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts