Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Geohot Raises Big Bucks Over The Weekend, Ends Donation Program for Now

"First round of donations" because
    a: he doesn't want to come across as a greedy arshole
    b: there will be many more court appearances with increasing costs
    c: he doesn't want people to get "tired" of donating
    d: this is not an opportunity (it seems) for him to make money
    etc.
    Make no mistake, if Sony wins Apple will go to back court to try to make jail breaking illegal, the control freak arsholes they are.
    So there is more at stake here than GeoHot's giving the finger to Sony, which by the way I absolutely agree with.
    You don't want your secrets out, protect them better.
    My next big screen TV will not be Sony.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sadsamurai For This Useful Post:

BumbleBeez (02-22-2011)

Love him or hate him, I do commend him for closing the fund after raising the sufficient amount for which he asked. Instead of letting it grow and grow for his own profit, he does have SOME sense of responsibility. With that said, he's still just a kid (like Zuckerberg before him), so it will be interesting to see how this goes kind of like his story, except he won't be getting billions of dollars. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by nicrfe View Post
    Its odd he isn't trying to get as much cash as he can. i think that shows that he is a good person. just trying to get what he needs. I hope he wins this for all of us. its bigger then him. this is about what i do every day.
    I agree. This goes to show what kind of person Geo really is. He isn't someone just out to screw ppl over for $$$ cause if he was he would've kept his donation program open but yet he didn't he got an estimate for the lawyers And set that goal, achieved it and that's it. Geo is a really cool dude who am thankful for blackra1n and limera1n and all the other wonders he's given the community. So I gladly donating to help out.

Good luck Geo.

Hasn't anyone noticed that Black Ops sucks? MW2 hack was a form of marketing, to move the consumer to Black Ops. Basically get more revenue for a crappy game. All in all Sony shouldn't be allowed to win this. If they do other companies will follow suit. We, as consumers, will be greatly affected.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

I honestly don't care anymore. I didn't find the jailbreak of the PS3 to be useful, at least to me. I only installed an few emulators and then an update came out and I just decided to update and then sony started banning people so In my opinion jailbreaking the ps3 isn't all that great. I'll stick to iPhone jailbreaking, I think its way funner.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Antman217 For This Useful Post:

sh33436 (02-24-2011)

Doesn't anyone watch South Park? "It's exactly what happened to Laverne and Shirley".

anyone else think this kid is a complete tool?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

A tool to jailbreak and unlock your phone, yes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

skj8100 (02-21-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    "First round of donations"
    Implies he'll be looking for more money to help him out of his self dug hole
    Looking forward to the second and third rounds to donate if Sony keeps after this guy.

...as for "the hole he dug" ..hmm.. I think you are hiding in that hole and he's taking it on the chin for YOU!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    lol

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    lol
    Some people's children, huh?

go ahead and flame me, but when limera1n came out who saved it? the chronic-dev team it was so buggy and had so many issues so im going to donate my dollar to them not geohot, and also there was alot of problems out of blackra1n he doesnt test his stuff because he doesnt care about you or your idevices he just wants fame because hes cocky and arrogant

sorry if you all take this the wrong way but its true

No one has come up with another very plausible explanation.

What if he's got such a huge war chest he had to slow it down? Maybe he's received tens of thousands of dollars and doesn't want to be responsible for so much money that showered him? And he's thinking that if it does end up costing more than he thinks then he can go for that next round.

Hmmm.

Any which way, Sony is losing and must be at least very worried that he's got support. That will come out to be true in a jury and a court room too.

As much money as Sony can throw at this, it's not in their best interest to risk losing public support which they obviously have on their hands now. If I were Geo I'd be on CNN, FOX news, etc etc. Advice to Geo, don't get cocky. Be humble and good then take this to the public and watch Sony squeal hard.

Good luck Geo.

Thanks

I wish him luck but Id be scared

ME either if only i had the money to give

Thanks

I dropped some cash a few days ago for him

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    lol

I'm not taking anybody's sides as it is my personal philosophy not to look at things in black and white. With that said, I see a missing piece in this that people have not identified.

It is one thing to buy a product and mess with the product you now own. However, it is another to encourage other people to mess with theirs by spreading a hacking program.

Don't get me wrong. I am not Sony's side. I just believe in fairness, and I believe that's a valid point we need to consider.

Either way, I hope there will be a solution that can work out for both parties for the best. I don't think Geohot is a bad person. I don't think Sony is a bad company.

Quote Originally Posted by almulder View Post
    As many of you are upset at Geohot for what he was able to do, he is giving you freedom of choice. Jailbreak, don't jailbreak. If he did not jailbreak the PS3 someone else would have. All PS systems have been hack. almost all game systems have been hack. Someone would hack it and we would have the same issues going on. It is Sonys responsibility to fix the issues. Thay should thank Geohot for showing their mistake. Plug the hole and move on. I understand Sony, but they are going overboard. It's my PS3 I should be able to do what I want with it. All my old PS systems i modded so I could back up my games and use the back up. They just scratch to easy. My XBOX is modded so I can save my disks to the hard drive and not have to change them every time. My PS3 is NOT jailbroken and most likely will not ever be jailbroken unless new cool functionality comes to it. I am not going to save my games to the hard drive as they are getting bigger and bigger. I will how ever FULLY SUPPORT GEOHOT. If Sony gets their way this is just a stepping stone for the future.Sony has a right to ban jailbroken systems from the PSN. That I agree with, but not every thing else. NO COMPANY should have the right to tell you what you can and can't do with your system. Next it could be computers. Microsoft telling you you cant put 2 video cards into the computer or stupid stuff light that. Ya its far fetched but this is the direction its going.

Its like this. If i buy a car and modify it, i can, why because its mine. If a dealer told you that if you change the stereo in the car to one with GPS they woudld Sue you because they want to sell you the GPS you would tell them to go **** and buy it some where else. This is basically what Sony is saying. You buy my stuff and change it they will sue you because they are going to loose money other wise.

My 2 cents.

I FULLY SUPPORT GEOHOT. GO AHEAD AND CLOSE MY ACCOUNT SONY. YOU WILL LOOSE MORE MONEY FROM ME. LETS SEE. I HAVE SPENT ABOUT $500+ LAST YEAR ON THE PSN. (Dam Rock Band and Movies).
    That's exactly why geo got 10 from me! If they took away the blue ray player cause they found out that a hack is delivered thru putting in a blue ray for example that would piss me off! N if say geohot made a hack to reinstate the blue ray player I know a lot of people that would install the hack to bring back a feature you thought you owned! Sony I've spent thousand's of dollars on Sony products, u know what not a penny more! Do your banning on pirates not on people that want a feature that originally came with your dam box!

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DevouredDreams View Post
    go ahead and flame me, but when limera1n came out who saved it? the chronic-dev team it was so buggy and had so many issues so im going to donate my dollar to them not geohot, and also there was alot of problems out of blackra1n he doesnt test his stuff because he doesnt care about you or your idevices he just wants fame because hes cocky and arrogant

sorry if you all take this the wrong way but its true
    You do realize that GP had just as many issues too, right?

Also, I'd suggest you go back and look at why he rushed the release of limera1n.
    Last edited by mortopher; 02-21-2011 at 10:10 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast