Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Geohot Raises Big Bucks Over The Weekend, Ends Donation Program for Now

hate him or love him, he started the JB community

I am in the market for a new flat screen TV. I will make sure to stay clear of Sony.
    Last edited by billmilo; 02-21-2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    Though I dont agree with him being an adult, as that rapping video didn't help him. This is something he got himself into. I know he had contributed to the jailbreaking circle, but I can fully say that I haven't used any of his jailbreaks, not because I have something against him but because there was always an alternative.

Do any of the other hackers give there real names or identities? Or take the fame for there hacks? No. I don't know who comex really is or his personal things. He has contributed to getting himself in trouble.

I know a lot of people donated, but I didnt, when I saw this and saw that it had got up to 10000 I went and donated to a better cause.

Just my view on things
    Not to rain on your high and mighty parade, but are you really so ignorant to say that there were alternative jailbreaks? Greenpois0n still uses a modified version of Limera1n and this isn't the first time that they have used his code to release a jailbreak. Yes they did change some things and make it more stable but they had a team working on it and Geohot is just one person doing all of that incredible work.

Now for the part about hackers keeping their identities a secret and Geohot being the only one to take the fame... you probably wont want to use Cydia anymore because a lil hacker by the name of Jay Freeman made that app that is probably the most well known hack store in the world. Like i said not trying to talk down to you but please make sure to understand what you are saying before you say it.

P.S. I'm glad you at least donated to something in the end, thats what really matters

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    Though I dont agree with him being an adult, as that rapping video didn't help him. This is something he got himself into. I know he had contributed to the jailbreaking circle, but I can fully say that I haven't used any of his jailbreaks, not because I have something against him but because there was always an alternative.

Do any of the other hackers give there real names or identities? Or take the fame for there hacks? No. I don't know who comex really is or his personal things. He has contributed to getting himself in trouble.

I know a lot of people donated, but I didnt, when I saw this and saw that it had got up to 10000 I went and donated to a better cause.

Just my view on things
    You probably think that Rosa Parks was just a stubborn b1tch too, don't ya?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

KBI2113 (02-21-2011), Lombardo Joe (02-21-2011), Razz (02-22-2011), vantheman169 (02-21-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

GeoHot can act like an @sshole and he can be an idiot too, that's called being human. Not a single one of us is perfect in every which way.

We all know what he's done for the iPhone community, regardless of any of his flaws, he still gave to the community free of charge his hard work.

So what if he wants a bit of recognition to show off his genius and pride in his work... Nothing wrong with being acknowledged or wanting the acknowledgement of something you accomplished. It is well-deserved.

If you don't agree and don't want to help him, don't jailbreak your iDevice. If you can't stay away from that, the least you could do is not talk about him like he's undeserving of anything.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 02-21-2011 at 05:54 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

theappman (02-21-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone theappman's Avatar
    Thanks

Self dug hole? C'mon some of you, it's just stupid to think that. It's no different than if the Dev team released a jailbreak and Apple sued them. Sony is just being stupid.
    Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by flightsim View Post
    If he loses this, and we can't mod our own property, think of all the creativity and designs lost.
    Then you buy a competitor's device that isn't locked down like Fort Knox and the free market works like it's supposed to.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Geohot, you ruined MW2 online for me.
    "I know I'll release a custom firmware so that 99% of people who will use it are kids and then they can ruin online for the casual player."

You got yourself into it but seeing as I'm 20 years old and as soon as MW2 patch comes, I'll probably donate. I still like Sony, I love Japanese technology and will carry on buying Sony TV's and PlayStation's.
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 02-21-2011 at 06:22 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetallicaFan1991 For This Useful Post:

sh33436 (02-24-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Geohot, you ruined MW2 online for me. If anything you owe me money.
    "I know I'll release a custom firmware so that 99% of people who will use it are kids and then they can ruin online for the casual player."

You got yourself into it but seeing as I'm 20 years old and as soon as MW2 patch comes, I'll probably donate.
    Blame the MW2 devs, not Geo.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Blame the MW2 devs, not Geo.
    Infinity Ward broke up or got fired last year so after a while there wasn't anyone left to support the game until recently of rehiring new members who are releasing a patch.
    He should have blocked access to the Game Data folder if he didn't want people to hack games or pirate them.
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 02-21-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Yeah GeoHot! You show those guys that what they're doing is not cool! I'm gonna go play my PS3!
    How come they can't play fair with US instead of the other way around?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    If u used this programs for anything at all u should give a few $ to help out.
    Agreed and I will, I use them and will donate. My idevices are free

Infinity Ward broke up or got fired last year so after a while there wasn't anyone left to support the game until recently of rehiring new members who are releasing a patch.
    He should have blocked access to the Game Data folder if he didn't want people to hack games or pirate them.
    So, basically, what your saying; is like apple the dev. Team lock the app store, so only registered games can be added...
    If you don't get my point----what's the point of hacking something, then locking a hacked file--- and furthermore, those same modders after the file is locked, can unlock it.
    Yes, I play ps3 too, and I understand it can be frustrating, but think about that logic there.
    Hack a firmware, and just lock it back up?

Forgot to mention, I totally support geohot.

It's touching how many ppl care about someone they don't even know. I have nothing against GEOHOT, FYI, I am just impressed at everyones kindness. The comments just prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    I can't believe that people still have the audacity to complain about Geohot this far into it. If you have EVER used blackra1n-limera1n, etc... I mean... COME ON.
    Forgot to mention the first greenpois0n since geohot allowed them to use his limera1n exploit. But nonetheless, perfectly put.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to KBI2113 For This Useful Post:

Lombardo Joe (02-21-2011)

this is a very very intriguing case and I hope the best for Geo. I donated immediately after reading the first article on here over the weekend. Like the other people have said, even if you don't donate for themes(which is rediculous if you don't), the LEAST you could do to show appreciation to a jailbroken device is throw a couple of bucks his way.

As many of you are upset at Geohot for what he was able to do, he is giving you freedom of choice. Jailbreak, don't jailbreak. If he did not jailbreak the PS3 someone else would have. All PS systems have been hack. almost all game systems have been hack. Someone would hack it and we would have the same issues going on. It is Sonys responsibility to fix the issues. Thay should thank Geohot for showing their mistake. Plug the hole and move on. I understand Sony, but they are going overboard. It's my PS3 I should be able to do what I want with it. All my old PS systems i modded so I could back up my games and use the back up. They just scratch to easy. My XBOX is modded so I can save my disks to the hard drive and not have to change them every time. My PS3 is NOT jailbroken and most likely will not ever be jailbroken unless new cool functionality comes to it. I am not going to save my games to the hard drive as they are getting bigger and bigger. I will how ever FULLY SUPPORT GEOHOT. If Sony gets their way this is just a stepping stone for the future.Sony has a right to ban jailbroken systems from the PSN. That I agree with, but not every thing else. NO COMPANY should have the right to tell you what you can and can't do with your system. Next it could be computers. Microsoft telling you you cant put 2 video cards into the computer or stupid stuff light that. Ya its far fetched but this is the direction its going.

Its like this. If i buy a car and modify it, i can, why because its mine. If a dealer told you that if you change the stereo in the car to one with GPS they woudld Sue you because they want to sell you the GPS you would tell them to go **** and buy it some where else. This is basically what Sony is saying. You buy my stuff and change it they will sue you because they are going to loose money other wise.

My 2 cents.

I FULLY SUPPORT GEOHOT. GO AHEAD AND CLOSE MY ACCOUNT SONY. YOU WILL LOOSE MORE MONEY FROM ME. LETS SEE. I HAVE SPENT ABOUT $500+ LAST YEAR ON THE PSN. (Dam Rock Band and Movies).

21. The Following User Says Thank You to almulder For This Useful Post:

Brr (02-21-2011)

apple... ms... someone give this kid a job after this ordeal... isnt that what usually happens to hackers that get into bigtime trouble? if anything this will end good for geo even if he loses the lawsuit (i hope he gets something out of this anyways)

even when he released the ps3 jb.. he added the disclaimer to sony that they should hire him to amp up their security.. but instead of giving this kid a 40,000$ salary, they wanna waste millions trying to make an example.

Thanks

Geohot, you ruined MW2 online for me.

You got yourself into it but seeing as I'm 20 years old and as soon as MW2 patch comes, I'll probably donate. I still like Sony, I love Japanese technology and will carry on buying Sony TV's and PlayStation's.
    Stop acting like a Sony fanboy! MW2 hacks occurred way before Geohot even announced the PS3 jailbreak.

I wish you luck, Geohot.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    "First round of donations"
    Implies he'll be looking for more money to help him out of his self dug hole
    You are a tool. You do realize that Geohot was the first to jailbreak the iPhone, right? And that he was one of the ones to kick off this whole Jailbreaking trend right?

"Self dug hole"? You seemed to have no problem jumping into that hole to jailbreak your phone there skippy...

Cause you know that the only reason a person Jailbreaks is to pirate apps right? So you must be a pirate too!

What the hell happened to this forum anymore?!?!?
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boe_dye View Post
    What the hell happened to this forum anymore?!?!?
    The golden age of jailbreaking died out...
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast