+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Light Peak Coming Soon to a Mac Near You

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Light Peak Coming Soon to a Mac Near You

Back in 2009, Intel presented an impressive demonstration of its new Light Peak high-speed connection technology at its developer conference. Now it seems that the technology is about ready to go and Apple may be the first company to implement it. Rumors suggest that Apple may include Light Peak technology with the next MacBook Pro refresh expected later this week. However, it is currently unclear if Intel has the technology ready for mass production as of yet.

Light Peak is being developed by Intel as the “Holy Grail” of connection technology. They hope to use it as a replacement for all other cable connections currently in use today. Intel plans on using this technology to simplify the process of connecting computers and peripherals. According to Intel website, “Optical technology also allows for smaller connectors and longer, thinner, and more flexible cables than currently possible. Light Peak also has the ability to run multiple protocols simultaneously over a single cable, enabling the technology to connect devices such as peripherals, displays, disk drives, docking stations, and more.”

Light Peak was originally supposed to use fiber-optic technology, but Intel recently stated that the initial version would instead use more traditional copper base lines instead. Even with this change, Light Peak still offers speeds of up to 10 gigabits per second, which is significantly faster than USB 3.0. Apple has been reluctant to embrace USB 3.0 and may plan on waiting to use Light Peak instead.

Apple most likely will not use the name Light Peak, however, and instead brand the technology in some other way. Apple has done this before when they chose to use the name Firewire instead of the less sexy term for the connection technology, IEEE 1384. If Apple is in fact the first company to use Light Peak technology, then they will likely change the name to market it as an Apple branded technology instead. Apple is not the only company currently interested in the technology, however, as Sony has expressed an interest in Light Peak as well.

Source: CNET

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

CX3NT3_713 (02-22-2011), sg_poly_kid (02-21-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

I am instantly jealous. Sounds like a revolution, SJ! I can imagine it already.

SJ: Yup, that's it everyone!
    *everyone gets up
    SJ: WAIT!!! I accidentally forgot something really important!!!
    *Everyone sits back down
    SJ: Today we are introducing a new revolution... Blank, aka light peak.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TheJailbreakGenius For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (02-21-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me mofolo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheJailbreakGenius View Post
    I am instantly jealous. Sounds like a revolution, SJ! I can imagine it already.

SJ: Yup, that's it everyone!
    *everyone gets up
    SJ: WAIT!!! I accidentally forgot something really important!!!
    *Everyone sits back down
    SJ: Today we are introducing a new revolution... Blank, aka light peak.
    Jizz, In my pants.
    myRepoSpace.com - Easily create your own Cydia Repo.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mofolo For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (02-21-2011), coolguy742 (02-21-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley John Wright View Post
    Apple most likely will not use the name Light Peak, however, and instead brand the technology in some other way. Apple has done this before when they chose to use the name Firewire instead of the less sexy term for the connection technology, IEEE 1384. If Apple is in fact the first company to use Light Peak technology, then they will likely change the name to market it as an Apple branded technology instead. Apple is not the only company currently interested in the technology, however, as Sony has expressed an interest in Light Peak as well.
    Isn't Firewire is IEEE 1394 not 1384?
    If Light Peak already has a name that isn't just a silly number why would Apple change that and confuse consumers? Mac's would say one thing but peripherals would say Light Peak. With Firewire, because it didn't have a recognizable name already, everyone started using the term Firewire.
    Just doesn't make sense to be honest.

Apple can introduce this if they want, but good luck using anything with it. The world is already embracing USB3 and Apple is gonna have widely un-used ports on their machines again.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 02-21-2011 at 06:07 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Wrong thread.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

I WANT THAT ON MY PC!!!!!!!!
    This could be huge, hooking up an HDD and a mouse on the same connector? amazing!

iPhone? More like MyPhone CaptBojank's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Apple can introduce this if they want, but good luck using anything with it. The world is already embracing USB3 and Apple is gonna have widely un-used ports on their machines again.
    I have yet to see anyone, anywhere, using USB 3. I haven't seen USB 3 devices in the stores and I haven't seen any computers capable of using it.

That said, I read somewhere (no source, sorry) that the ports are the same as USB, with added connectors so a regular USB would work in it. If anywhere knows for sure, please chime in.
    --= Fortes fortuna adiuvat =--

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Isn't Firewire is IEEE 1394 not 1384?
    If Light Peak already has a name that isn't just a silly number why would Apple change that and confuse consumers? Mac's would say one thing but peripherals would say Light Peak. With Firewire, because it didn't have a recognizable name already, everyone started using the term Firewire.
    Just doesn't make sense to be honest.

I'm sure a good number of ppl haven't even heard the Light Peak name before, so if Apple uses it and changes the name I don't think it'll be a big deal.

This will definitely help Apple with sales; can't wait for it to come out!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBojank View Post
    I have yet to see anyone, anywhere, using USB 3. I haven't seen USB 3 devices in the stores and I haven't seen any computers capable of using it.

That said, I read somewhere (no source, sorry) that the ports are the same as USB, with added connectors so a regular USB would work in it. If anywhere knows for sure, please chime in.
    My external HDD is USB 3 Just about anything like this that is a NEW model coming to amrket is rolling out with USB 3. They certainly make them, but your average peripheral has no need for the throughput capabilities. I am talking mice, keyboards, hell even webcams. Just about the only benefit I see is external hard drives and other storage devices (this includes video camera storage, of course). For most things USB 3 isn't going to provide a noticable improvement over USB 2.

For lightpeak (or whatever they finally decide to name it) to do well, I think it would be very beneficial to allow the use of the USB type port. I imagine this is patented to the max, however, and it would be foolish from the owners of USB to allow it. Not saying they didn't/won't but I know I wouldn't!
    Last edited by sziklassy; 02-21-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone steelersfan32's Avatar
    Thanks

Old news, I read this months ago.

That being said as long it's backwards compatible I am welcome to the change.
    Want to drive an idiot insane? Click Here to find out how.

Thanks

I use all the ports on my MacBook pro 17" i7 but one the Internet cable being I use wifi instead.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I'm sure a good number of ppl haven't even heard the Light Peak name before, so if Apple uses it and changes the name I don't think it'll be a big deal.

This will definitely help Apple with sales; can't wait for it to come out!
    But I'm saying Apple will have their machines branded with Super Magic Port or whatever, but peripherals will say Light Peak on the box.
    A good number of people still haven't heard of FireWire

Can HDDs and SSDs even read/write to the speeds of light peak or USB3? It's like having a Lamborghini that can do 200mph but the speed limit is still 50mph.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Can HDDs and SSDs even read/write to the speeds of light peak or USB3? It's like having a Lamborghini that can do 200mph but the speed limit is still 50mph.
    No, it's like building a road to safely travel at 1000mph but your Lamborghini can only do 200. So you grab your 4 friends with lambos and all 5 of you do 200mph side by side lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Light peek over copper. They can call it sorta shinny peek

Thanks

We all know where FireWire went, nowhere. USB 3.0 is fast enough for most, probably faster than many will even need, and it's here and backwards compatible.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Railroader View Post
    We all know where FireWire went, nowhere. USB 3.0 is fast enough for most, probably faster than many will even need, and it's here and backwards compatible.
    Yup, Apple even stopped supporting FireWire on their devices, and removed it from their consumer level laptops.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

But I'm saying Apple will have their machines branded with Super Magic Port or whatever, but peripherals will say Light Peak on the box.
    A good number of people still haven't heard of FireWire

Well the article made it sound like whoever gets the technology first gets to name it. That's what I was basing my comment on But I see what you mean.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

too compatible backwards i'm...
    "they're trashing our rights. hack the planet!"