Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 133

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Geohot Asks For Help from Hacker Backers via PayPal to Fight Sony

  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGiola View Post
    Thats the point though. The private key he "leaked" isn't copyrighted. You cannot copyright a string of characters. Hes basically getting sued because he pissed Sony off. He also said he is in favor of banning the hackers (which I agree with) but on the other hand Sony's method of finding said hackers is essentially spyware. I wouldn't be surprised if another suit came up because of that but against Sony. All in all Sony is dragging themselves through the mud with this but oh well.
    The people that should be banned are the people that would aimbot in FPS games and that would pirate copyrighted material. Hacking for the intent of homebrew, uncopyrighted material is perfectly fine.

    As to the other guy who responded to the post i qouted-
    bypassing that code allows copyrighted material to be accessed-but geohot isnt redistributing copyrighted material.

  2. #82
    Ummm. The ps3 itself is a tool for piracy... without any mods/cfw.. you can copy/rip a cd to your ps3. Borrow a cd from your friend and rip away. Hmmm, but nothing wrong with that?
    There is no reason to do something anonymously if it is believed to be legal and it will benefit our rights.

  3. #83
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,826
    Thanks
    553
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    The people that should be banned are the people that would aimbot in FPS games and that would pirate copyrighted material. Hacking for the intent of homebrew, uncopyrighted material is perfectly fine.

    As to the other guy who responded to the post i qouted-
    bypassing that code allows copyrighted material to be accessed-but geohot isnt redistributing copyrighted material.
    You don't have to distribute anything. Bypassing it alone is illegal. That is Sony's case. Sony is not accusing him of pirating. They are accusing him of circumventing the DCMA of the PS3.

  4. #84
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,441
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 185 Times in 145 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    I plan on using my PS3 until the PS4 comes out. Sony is trying to protect their investments and will bypass this hack very soon in an update.
    This hack, and Sony fail at programming, has resulted in this not being patchable.
    This hack will exist indefinitely on the PS3. Being blocked on PSN will happen but every single PS3 made since it's launch until the last one made will be hackable. Now that is Sonys fault for not creating their private key correctly.

  5. #85
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,826
    Thanks
    553
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    The hack will be embedded into their CDs. Which will be checked on the systems firmware side. If the check can be removed on the firmware side then yes, you are correct. Another downfall?...there is talk of a maximum 5 lifetime installs per cd.

  6. #86
    I know he also hacks the iPhone, but this isn't a PS3 fanboy site. Lets not make it one
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

  7. #87
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Covina, CA
    Posts
    234
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts

    Honestly, if you are a grown man that is THAT bothered by the antics of another grown man, you really need to enjoy life away from your computer.

    Who gives a **** whether you "like" him as a person? The question is whether you agree with him under these circumstances.

  8. #88
    What's Jailbreak? cb22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    :-\ and igaf because..????

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryker1 View Post
    I am donating. I don't even own a PS3 but I do believe in consumer rights. He is being singled out and Sony is trying to make an example of him. Lets not let the big corporations intimidate us with these scare tactics. We as the consumers DO HAVE the right to modify our equipment. I bought it I own it I can do whatever I please with it.....screw off!!!

    Stryker
    I made a donation. To all out here: Most of us spend hundreds on our phones that are made better by guys like him. How can you not donate? Even if you are going through "tough times" then I think $5 or $10 bucks can still help Geo if a lot of us send this. If I could I'd send him much more I would since this is really an abuse from sony that deserves a countersuit.

    Btw. Sony's premise is like a Dell telling us that we can't program computers we buy from Dell and that we can only use "Dell Approved" software. ha. That is the same thing, see? Dell could certainly start this at anytime and then let's see how they enforce it. They'll then find a Geo to pick on to enforce their unreasonable dictates.

    Go get your team Geo! You're getting the cash!

    Donation Details:
    Confirmation number: 1JJ672472Fxxxxxxx
    Donation amount: $xx.00 USD
    Total: $xx.00 USD
    Purpose: SCEA v Hotz Legal Defense Fund
    Last edited by Brr; 02-20-2011 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Add

  10. #90
    Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Orleans - Who dat nation
    Posts
    1,224
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 115 Times in 88 Posts

    Sold my PSP first version (Firmware 1.50) on eBay, games and everything and donated $100.00 no more PSXs for me.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

  11. #91
    What's Jailbreak? cb22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    i was just joking but i guess these days u have to put lol or jk so bloggers like yourself don't get all touchy about another man! It's not even that serious!! and go put on a Tampon cause your leaking






    Quote Originally Posted by j.eck.art.3d View Post
    Wow... Just... Wow. You, my friend are a leecher. Riding along on the coattails of intelligent individuals. Don't get me wrong, I am not skilled enough to contribute to the JB community myself. But I totally respect, and support, and donate to the Devs that do (even GeoHot, whom I'm not necessarily a fan of outside of his contributions to the community).

    Leechers like you make me sick quite frankly.

    To all those Devs, those individuals that are way more talented and skilled than I:
    I apologize for this leecher's comments and assure you that there are many more like me out here who are VERY appreciative for what you do and contribute.

  12. #92
    Though I get the cause, but after that video of him rapping, I didn't want to. Though I wouldnt have anyways, I just looked at this and then donated to a better cause, because I think there are people that need the money more than this, there are people who cant afford ps3's or iphones like I or we can. So I want to help those people out, I think I did the right thing?
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

    iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

  13. #93
    iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hopedale, IL
    Posts
    234
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    I agree with him wanting to take sony down, but honestly he should have kept his head down on this one. We all know who Geohot is. What he looks like; hell, even his real name. That's not how you're supposed to do it. MuscleNerd, Comex, no one knows who they are in real life. I'm not saying that a company as powerful as Apple couldn't figure it out, but still. He is so open about the hacking he does, always taking credit for it because he wants the fame. He was the orchestrator of his own downfall.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.




    Twitter It Up!!

    http://twitter.com/staterunner180

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to staterunner180 For This Useful Post:

    cb22 (02-20-2011)

  15. #94
    What's Jailbreak? cb22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    yeaaa! not that serious. thanks for taking the time out to reply back to my post though!
    Quote Originally Posted by j.eck.art.3d View Post
    Wow... Just... Wow. You, my friend are a leecher. Riding along on the coattails of intelligent individuals. Don't get me wrong, I am not skilled enough to contribute to the JB community myself. But I totally respect, and support, and donate to the Devs that do (even GeoHot, whom I'm not necessarily a fan of outside of his contributions to the community).

    Leechers like you make me sick quite frankly.

    To all those Devs, those individuals that are way more talented and skilled than I:
    I apologize for this leecher's comments and assure you that there are many more like me out here who are VERY appreciative for what you do and contribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow25 View Post
    Hahahaha. Seriously?

    Do you have any idea of the amount of work it takes to make an unlock?

    Tell you what, YOU create an unlock for 2.10.04 and I'll send $500 your way. I won't hold my breath, because I highly suspect you wouldn't know where to begin.

    The stress a lawsuit puts on you isn't fun at all. I've been sued by smaller legal firms, so being sued by a company like Sony is very stressful.
    Thank you!!! At least someone is paying attention! And i bet his parents have money as well!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by devoureddreams View Post
    you all are more than likely aware that geohot already has money out the *** and can afford this without your help, and more than often itll settle out of court then geohot walks away with your 500$ and so on donations
    Last edited by cb22; 02-20-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to cb22 For This Useful Post:

    DevouredDreams (02-21-2011)

  17. #95
    Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Orleans - Who dat nation
    Posts
    1,224
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 115 Times in 88 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    Though I get the cause, but after that video of him rapping, I didn't want to. Though I wouldnt have anyways, I just looked at this and then donated to a better cause, because I think there are people that need the money more than this, there are people who cant afford ps3's or iphones like I or we can. So I want to help those people out, I think I did the right thing?
    Ok what I see is that you are saying that you don't want to help him but if somebody here tells you that he need an iPhone 4 and he don't have enough money, you can give him some so he can buy it? Wow come on people, here is the guy.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

  18. #96
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Kioes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    melbourne, Australia.
    Posts
    224
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts

    $50 coming your way, **** sony, here in aus its legal to modify a device in what way you want after purchase, so good.
    For anything SB-HTML or Themeing based help feel free to MSG me!

  19. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Ok what I see is that you are saying that you don't want to help him but if somebody here tells you that he need an iPhone 4 and he don't have enough money, you can give him some so he can buy it? Wow come on people, here is the guy.
    No I did not mean that. I meant the people that cant afford one because they are poor, I did not mean to give them iPhones and PS3's. Im talking about the people in Africa, and other places that dont even know these things exist. Geohot has gotten how much money already out of this already? More than 10000? Lots of people are donating for this, but not a lot of them will for other causes. Its because it has to do with us, there OUR devices, and this guy is fighting for "us", but what if one day we become one of those people without the money to buy any of this? Then we will want them to donate to the other types of causes.

    We people are really selfish, and I or anyone else are not exceptions, Geohot can afford an iPhone and a PS3, or else he wouldnt have one, he has the money, or atleast more than other people.
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

    iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

  20. #98
    Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Orleans - Who dat nation
    Posts
    1,224
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 115 Times in 88 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    No I did not mean that. I meant the people that cant afford one because they are poor, I did not mean to give them iPhones and PS3's. Im talking about the people in Africa, and other places that dont even know these things exist. Geohot has gotten how much money already out of this already? More than 10000? Lots of people are donating for this, but not a lot of them will for other causes. Its because it has to do with us, there OUR devices, and this guy is fighting for "us", but what if one day we become one of those people without the money to buy any of this? Then we will want them to donate to the other types of causes.

    We people are really selfish, and I or anyone else are not exceptions, Geohot can afford an iPhone and a PS3, or else he wouldnt have one, he has the money, or atleast more than other people.

    I'm lost...
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

  21. #99
    Sony sued Lik Sang out of existence. Geohot knew that he was kicking a hornets' nest and now he's upset about getting stung. He may have become complacent because Apple has been a rather good sport (even going so far as referring to it as a "cat and mouse game") about their products being hacked, but Sony is clearly not Apple.

    While hacking the PS3 does enable homebrew, it will most likely just be used for emulators (which are almost always used with pirated ROMs) and pirated commercial games. The software carrier unlock and alternate app stores (Cydia and Rock) for the iPhone went a long way towards proving "substantial non-infringing uses" available via jailbreaking. It's going to be a lot harder to prove that a PS3 jailbreak serves any purpose other than enabling piracy.

    This leaves geohot in a not-so-enviable position and while I wish him the best of luck, he did bring this upon himself. I see no reason to donate to him - if he didn't have the resources to fight this battle, he should've exercised better judgment.

  22. #100
    Default Perspective on Bigger Picture
    This is on page 7, so it probably won't get much of a read, but I felt compelled to express my thoughts on this- bear in mind, this is simply my opinion, you are certainly entitled to your own...

    1. Geo is or isn't an @ss <-- Not relevant
    2. Geo should have acted anonymously <-- Not relevant
    3. Geo has/doesn't have some money <-- Not relevant

    4. Geo deserves a fair trial whose outcome will probably affect us all <-- HIGHLY RELEVANT.

    This is basically what this boils down to- Geo has been sued by a large corporate entity with virtually limitless legal resources and finances. On his own, he has no chance to mount a legal defense that would be on a par with that brought to bear by the likes of Sony. In the US, everyone is supposed to have the right to a fair trial -where a judge, and/or jury, will decide the outcome and who's ultimately right or wrong.

    But as has been proven time and again, those with limitless money can ultimately crush those without, simply by tying it up in court until the little guy is bankrupt. Without financial resources, there wont BE a fair trial, and OUR rights can ultimately be affected by the outcome.

    If you have previously purchased a Sony product, you have contributed to Sony's war chest (I certainly have). If you have EVER jail-broken anything, you have benefited from Geo's work. Help Geo help you AGAIN, by donating whatever you can to OUR defense. WE deserve a fair day in court, and then let the chips fall where they may.
    Last edited by ishamiyal; 02-21-2011 at 12:43 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •