+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Might Be Planning on OLED Displays for Future Products

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
It seems like Apple is may be hoping to implement OLED Displays in its future products, such as the iPhone and iPad. This comes according to a job listing sent
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Apple Might Be Planning on OLED Displays for Future Products

It seems like Apple is may be hoping to implement OLED Displays in its future products, such as the iPhone and iPad. This comes according to a job listing sent privately to employees of companies that 'specialize in display technologies.' 9to5Mac notes that this report is similar to a private job listing posted in 2008, as Apple was working on the iPhone and early prototype iPads.

The listing states that these employees would be a "focal point" for developing advanced displays for future products. Apple adds in the listing that job candidates should have "hands-on experience" in the flat-panel industry. This seems to be the first job-listing for OLED displays for Apple, and it seems like this is what Apple needs to implement their next great line of products.

Below is a listing of what Apple is looking for in their job ad:

• TFT device development & optimization on glass or plastic substrate
    • TFT backplane process integration development for LCD or OLED displays, including LTPS backplanes
    • Thin film deposition process development and characterizations
    • Photolithography and etching process development, including coating, developing, etching, stripping
    • Color filter process development, including black matrix, color resin material, coating, developing and ITO sputtering
    • Panel design & layout experiences in TFT device, TFT LCD circuit and SPICE simulation
    • Organic EL material & process and associated optical, power & reliability characterizations
    • LCD cell process development, including alignment layer material, rubbing, LC fill, sealant
    • Active-matrix backplane design & optimization for LCD or OLED applications and associated circuitry simulations
    • LCD or OLED optical characterization and overall design optimization
    Source:
    9to5Mac

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Savoca For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (02-17-2011)

Thanks

I don't mind rumors like this, it's the 'Apple working on porting Android to the iPhone?' kind of stories that get me. Also this actually sounds like a good idea.

Thanks

If this happens, I will faint.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Hold on. All the job listings say "LCD or OLED". If they really wanted OLED they wouldn't be saying LCD is just as good.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    I don't mind rumors like this, it's the 'Apple working on porting Android to the iPhone?' kind of stories that get me. Also this actually sounds like a good idea.
    Errr... what?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll do it! All I need to learn about is:

* TFT device development & optimization on glass or plastic substrate
    * TFT backplane process integration development for LCD or OLED displays, including LTPS backplanes
    * Thin film deposition process development and characterizations
    * Photolithography and etching process development, including coating, developing, etching, stripping
    * Color filter process development, including black matrix, color resin material, coating, developing and ITO sputtering
    * Panel design & layout experiences in TFT device, TFT LCD circuit and SPICE simulation
    * Organic EL material & process and associated optical, power & reliability characterizations
    * LCD cell process development, including alignment layer material, rubbing, LC fill, sealant
    * Active-matrix backplane design & optimization for LCD or OLED applications and associated circuitry simulations
    * LCD or OLED optical characterization and overall design optimization.

...and I'm good to go!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (02-17-2011), Snozberries (02-17-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Errr... what?
    It was a fake example. I think the iPhone Nano rumors are annoying but rumors like this and them getting new graphics chip suppliers or whatever are actually interesting.

Green Apple
    Thanks

this is only like the third time they have written about this.....but oled would be sick!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post

* TFT backplane process integration development for LCD or OLED displays, including LTPS backplanes
    * Photolithography and etching process development, including coating, developing, etching, stripping
    * Color filter process development, including black matrix, color resin material, coating, developing and ITO sputtering
    * Panel design & layout experiences in TFT device, TFT LCD circuit and SPICE simulation
    * Organic EL material & process and associated optical, power & reliability characterizations
    * LCD cell process development, including alignment layer material, rubbing, LC fill, sealant
    * Active-matrix backplane design & optimization for LCD or OLED applications and associated circuitry simulations

...and I'm good to go!
    That's all. Well what r u waiting for ;-)
    Neo Style by k.nitsua....early front runner for THEME OF THE YEAR

Now in a dead heat with liveOS c/o bluemetal....

Let us all welcome the newest fighter to the TOTY ring...iNavHD c/o reeco

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What's a job??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    It was a fake example. I think the iPhone Nano rumors are annoying but rumors like this and them getting new graphics chip suppliers or whatever are actually interesting.
    Maybe it's just the conspiracy theorist in me, but I think apple leaked that rumor just to keep the iPhone at the for front of "water cooler" conversations. God knows I've received about 2 dozen texts from people saying "ZOMG have you heard about the iPhone nano!!!!!!!l"

I gotta admit my interest was really piqued by the iPhone with a physical keyboard rumor tho.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Trouble is, everyone obsesses over the possibility of getting OLED on the iPhone but it already has the best pixel density of any mobile phone and OLED would make the most expensive part of the iPhone 4 even more expensive and you know Apple aren't going to be generous on the resale price

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

What a worthless article! All of these tech companies will adopt LED (be it OLED or inorganic LED) or other advanced display technology in the future when it becomes cost and performance effective to do so. How is this newsworthy? You may as well run with an article titled "Apple might be planning new iPhone with faster processor and better camera".
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

Oled display isn't necessary for the iPhone, but it would make the iPhone better in more ways than I can imagine. Thinner, lighter, longer battery life, wider viewing angle, more colors. Somebody stop Me!

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol at all these people thinking OLED isn't necessary. Of course it is seeing Samsung have AMOLED tech in their phones so should the iPhone. LCD is old. I want better blacks and a higher contrast ratio on my iPhone. Sure it has a high pixel density but the colours suck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    What a worthless article! All of these tech companies will adopt LED (be it OLED or inorganic LED) or other advanced display technology in the future when it becomes cost and performance effective to do so. How is this newsworthy? You may as well run with an article titled "Apple might be planning new iPhone with faster processor and better camera".
    MMI staff writers just cant catch a break today, sheesh.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Well this rumor is actually derived from hard evidence, listed by Apple themselves who seem to be making things pretty clear. Not just another "A Chinese glue supplier hinted at speculation towards a 5 inch iPhone".

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    It may be worthless to you but a lot of us enjoy it. I'm sure some ppl don't know everything about displays and the possible options Apple has for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
    That's all. Well what r u waiting for ;-)
    I've been studying all night, I think I've got it all
    Last edited by steve-z17; 02-17-2011 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Ok... Wow, people get way too worked up/emotional on this site!

They are listing "LED & LCD" because it would be stupid to drop LCD altogether, in one shot. I suspect they are preparing for a future move to LED of some form.

Number one rule of HR: hire them BEFORE you need them.

This allows companies time, to weed out the unreliable hires, before they are stuck with bad employees, right when the employer needs them the most.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post

...and I'm good to go!
    Uhm, FAIL??? (wipes coffee off my monitor!)
    "they're trashing our rights. hack the planet!"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Snozberries For This Useful Post:

steve-z17 (02-17-2011)