+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple May Provoke Anti-Trust Issues With New App Store Subscription Policy

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
HEY has someone else had the issue with ibooks that doesn't let people read their books if the device is jailbroken
    Green Apple
    Thanks

HEY has someone else had the issue with ibooks that doesn't let people read their books if the device is jailbroken

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marnix1991 View Post
    No, that issue is non existent.
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    Appl£ shouldn't stipulate anything they're just a shop.

That like my local shop saying to the sauce manufacture, you can only advertise that you sell that sauce here and no where else, the sauce manufacture wouldn't enter a deal like that because it's bad for business

It's just Appl£ control bull **** again
    Problem :

local sauce shop does not equal global market access to the best selling mobile devices in the world, as well as complete access to the tablet market in which apple faces NO direct competition at the moment.

Also:

Doesn't the sauce shop do a markup so they make their cut? If not, they are already out of business. No profit = closed doors.

Might wanna rethink your analogy.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    wait and see once it hits you, you'll be pissed
    comex has even announced it
    http://www.twitlonger.com/show/8r4pbb

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.C. View Post
    I think there is a little something that people are missing. Apple isn't saying you can't sell your subscriptions elsewhere. They are just saying you can't link to an alternative subscription purchase method from within the app itself. Apple's stance behind this is end user simplicity. Give them one easy way to purchase from within the app. If you add more options it would just get too confusing for a lot ( but not all ) users.
    Agreed. Also, they aren't price fixing - the vendor fixes the price and can offer it on any other device at any other price or can offer it for download on the web at whatever price they want. Apple is just saying that if they bring the business to the company, they'd like to be paid for it. Especially since the company will likely make significant money on recurring subscribers. Apple's 30% is a one-time deal too- no renewal fees.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    Appl£ shouldn't stipulate anything they're just a shop.

That like my local shop saying to the sauce manufacture, you can only advertise that you sell that sauce here and no where else, the sauce manufacture wouldn't enter a deal like that because it's bad for business

It's just Appl£ control bull **** again
    What? Apples not saying you can't sell anywhere else, there saying not to advertise here. Do you go to Walmart and see an advertising for kroger? No. Its the same here.
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Just being sure does anyone here even know what a trust is? (a lot of the mods probably know, they're adults hahaha)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j.eck.art.3d View Post
    You are missing a very big point in your rebuttal: Apple is insisting that the publishers not offer their subscriptions elsewhere for a different (lower) price. Apple is effectively price fixing a segment, which is very illegal.
    Your right there.

From the new Policy:
    "Apps can read or play approved content (magazines, newspapers, books, audio, music, video) that is sold outside of the app, for which Apple will not receive any portion of the revenues, provided that the same content is also offered in the app using IAP at the same price or less than it is offered outside the app. This applies to both purchased content and subscriptions."
    I.E If you try to offer the subscription cheaper than the in-app price, outside of the app, your app will be pulled or rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    Just being sure does anyone here even know what a trust is? (a lot of the mods probably know, they're adults hahaha)
    Yes, they are laws that try prevent unfair, anti-competitive and monopolistic business practices.

Anti-Trust (U.S.) = Anti-Competitive (E.U.)
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 02-16-2011 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what Apple is doing. They are preventing the publishers from exploiting a loop hole. Think about it, if they were allowed to post cheaper prices on their website they could make the app store subscription 10x as high to pretty much force users to their website so they get all the profit. do you think best buy would let sony post a sign in their store that says "get this tv cheaper on our website?". It's a simple case of vendors and distributors. If the publishers don't like it...let em make their own mobile smart phone platform or GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    That's why it provokes breaking anti-trust and anti-competitiveness laws.
    But I prefer in-app payments or subscriptions rather than having to go through safari to a devs/publishers website and enter my credit card details there too.
    Maybe Apple should renegotiate the 70/30 split for subscriptions?
    Yeah I agree and they may end having to change it if it becomes a problem. But for now that's the law of the land, publishers either go with it or they don't do business with them.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post

8, yeah
    Says it all, about this joke of a site, doesn't it, when the staff are as idiotic as the inmates....

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EdmundGerber View Post
    Says it all, about this joke of a site, doesn't it, when the staff are as idiotic as the inmates....
    So why are you still here?

Quote Originally Posted by marnix1991 View Post
    Yes, it is a problem for all jailbreaks. Howvever it only applies to iBooks that have drm protection.

PwnageTool 4.2 that was just released includes a fix for this that Comex came up with.
    Last edited by mortopher; 02-16-2011 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Well you either want to publish with Apple and their rules or you don't. That's just how it is.
    And yet when Microsoft wants to include IE in their OS that allows you to download a new browser, its anti-trust.

Apple thinks they can dictate to other companies the prices they are allowed to charge for subscriptions outside the app store, thats a big **** off apple.

Plus, their phones are turning to **** just as iOS is.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 838 Posts

Ooph. The details are a little screwy (as in bad). Apple says that apps can't link to the internet for subscriptions. I don't think the app owners are allowed to even mention anything they're selling in their app without needing an in-app purchase of the same product or service.

So, basically if you use the AppStore as a means of promoting your product, Apple wants a share.

Advertising. That's what this is all about. Apple's trying to wiggle its way into Google territory. Apple wants a piece of that pie.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Cydia? How cool would that be?

Cydia charges 30% for sales too and doesn't have in-app purchases that I've seen. Apple's larger audience is a way better deal for apps.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it's RC6 only. I used RC5 and don't have it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Well you either want to publish with Apple and their rules or you don't. That's just how it is.
    That depends on whether these developers all knew of Apple's new rules before they started investing in development of their apps and content. It sounds like Apple is pulling the rug out from under the app-developers' feet. I see no positives here, apart from a short-term boost to Apple's share holders. The long term result of this move will be negative for everybody.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Cydia charges 30% for sales too and doesn't have in-app purchases that I've seen. Apple's larger audience is a way better deal for apps.
    I don't think Cydia dis-allows in-app purchases/subscriptions. Key difference.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    I don't think Cydia dis-allows in-app purchases/subscriptions. Key difference.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Apple has 95% of iOS users instead of 5%. Key difference. (You have to figure in that about 10% jailbreak and half of those are pirates or don't have a credit card.)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    And yet when Microsoft wants to include IE in their OS that allows you to download a new browser, its anti-trust.

Apple thinks they can dictate to other companies the prices they are allowed to charge for subscriptions outside the app store, thats a big **** off apple.

Plus, their phones are turning to **** just as iOS is.
    I didn't say it was right, I just said that that's the way it is right now, if they don't like it then they don't publish with Apple. If you don't like Apple and their phones then don't buy them, bottom line. It's really not that difficult..

Quote Originally Posted by EdmundGerber View Post
    Why are you here? Go troll somewhere else...
    Last edited by steve-z17; 02-16-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost