+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Poised to Become Samsung's Biggest Customer Even As Rivalry Heats Up

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
On Sunday, Paul reported that Samsung is in talks with Apple to supply Super-PLS displays for the iPad. The prospective deal underscores the growing relationship between unlikely partners - and
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Poised to Become Samsung's Biggest Customer Even As Rivalry Heats Up

On Sunday, Paul reported that Samsung is in talks with Apple to supply Super-PLS displays for the iPad. The prospective deal underscores the growing relationship between unlikely partners - and rivals - Apple and Samsung. According to the Korean Economic Daily, Apple and Samsung are poised to do their best and biggest work together this year. If the report proves accurate, Apple will, in fact, become Samsung's largest customer in 2011, with $7.8 billion worth of component purchases on tap.

Of course, all of this is transpiring as Samsung continues to toil in the mobile space with products and developments that take direct aim at Apple. This week at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain, Samsung is busy touting the arrival of the Galaxy S II, the sweet new follow up in the growing and increasingly popular line of Android handsets. The Galaxy S II has a dual-core processor and, as expected, runs Google Android 2.3 Gingerbread, and sports a dazzling 4.3-inch Super AMOLED Plus touchscreen among other bells and whistles that are generating no shortage of attention.

Still, Apple needs Samsung and, conversely, Samsung needs Apple. But as the mobile industry continues to make for strange bed fellows, the general consumer, on the other hand, stands to benefit. According to the Korean Economic Daily, Apple's component deal with Samsung will bestow upon future iDevices some of the best LCD panels, processors, and flash memory money can buy in the modern digital world.

Korean Economic Daily via Wall Street Journal

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

LEVMAN (02-14-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Just because they both have tablets out on the market doesn't mean they can't do biz together. If Apple really is getting displays from them then Samsung would be stupid to let that competition get in the way of selling them, they'd be making a bunch of money! I still think Apple should look into QLED if they haven't already!

Thanks

Perhaps this is the reason they don't put effort into their own products?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Perhaps this is the reason they don't put effort into their own products?
    LMAO.

I'm not a fan of Samsungs mobile products. They do make awesome displays.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cokeman For This Useful Post:

djnikk (02-15-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple's component deal with Samsung will bestow upon future iDevices some of the best LCD panels, processors, and flash memory money can buy in the modern digital world.
    Can i get an AMEN!!!
    "they're trashing our rights. hack the planet!"

Green Apple
    Thanks

Samsung sells LCD panels, cpu's and memory to just about everyone so it's no big deal.

Thanks

Maybe this just shows that Apple isn't afraid of Samsung and knows they're a step above the rest
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

samsung wont push apple too hard they know they make more from selling lcds and stuff then they do from selling their phones

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

The Galaxy S2 does look sweet to be honest, I may get it if iOS 5 still has the ugly grey/white UI and doesn't allow me to change to SMS bubbles colour, also its super thin and has a 1600mah battery fitted in it.

Just offer them more money Apple and get AMOLED if not SAMOLED onto the iPhone, aw man a Retina Display with super high contrast ratio and pure blacks and whites will be unbeatable. The iPhone 4's screen is let down by the facts its a LCD.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Samsung gets component order from Apple for it's next gen device.
    Samsung drops Apple as a customer.
    Samsung announces it's brand new device that looks very Appley :-p
    Not gonna happen but would be funny. I like Samsung stuff, their TVs are very good.

Thanks

haha...displays are great...end of story :]

Thanks

I don't think it's uncommon for rival companies to share components. I do know Sony supplies the sensors for Nikon DSLRs, even though Sony is now producing a competing DSLR.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    I don't think it's uncommon for rival companies to share components. I do know Sony supplies the sensors for Nikon DSLRs, even though Sony is now producing a competing DSLR.
    yea especially when that kind of money is involved, no company is going to pass that up. With growing at the pace it is, setting aside your differences is the best option for sure
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to EskimoRuler For This Useful Post:

AUZambo (02-16-2011)