+ Reply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple TV gets Untethered Jailbreak with Greenpois0n RC6

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
My appletv is the multimedia center of my house with 4 other college grads. If it were just me, plex would be totally perfect.
    h2a
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My appletv is the multimedia center of my house with 4 other college grads. If it were just me, plex would be totally perfect.

Thanks

@gabrielmoreno, I own all the above devices & I must say you're completely wrong. I have a PS3 w/ a 320GB HDD upgrade & also stream from my iMac to it. The PS3 can't receive streams from a plex server so I have to use playback. It doesn't play half the $h!t the atV2 plays from PLEX. ATV2 w/ plex is perfect for a home theater. The only thing it's missing is Bluetooth support for a mouse & keyboard. Go do your homework before trolling!

h2a
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSZ33 View Post
    @gabrielmoreno, I own all the above devices & I must say you're completely wrong. I have a PS3 w/ a 320GB HDD upgrade & also stream from my iMac to it. The PS3 can't receive streams from a plex server so I have to use playback. It doesn't play half the $h!t the atV2 plays from PLEX. ATV2 w/ plex is perfect for a home theater. The only thing it's missing is Bluetooth support for a mouse & keyboard. Go do your homework before trolling!
    Don't need kbd and mouse with the iOS remote app.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Got the GP jailbreak process to work correctly, pretty straight forward steps. holla!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well, got it re-jailbroke with the GP one. Looks good. Installed XBMC. Not really liking it as much as Plex, though. I can't seem to remember or figure out how to go in and add another directory to look at on it to make it look in the iTunes folder on my mini. It is real easy to do with Plex though. I will keep it on there though (Mainly cause I don't know how to remove it. Probably pretty easy once I look for it.) and see what I come up with.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steveken View Post
    Well, got it re-jailbroke with the GP one. Looks good. Installed XBMC. Not really liking it as much as Plex, though. I can't seem to remember or figure out how to go in and add another directory to look at on it to make it look in the iTunes folder on my mini. It is real easy to do with Plex though. I will keep it on there though (Mainly cause I don't know how to remove it. Probably pretty easy once I look for it.) and see what I come up with.
    haha i installed xbmc also and now dont want/need it and am not sure how to delete as well.

h2a
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pickeledpeter View Post
    haha i installed xbmc also and now dont want/need it and am not sure how to delete as well.
    NitoTV > Install Software > highlight XMBC-ATV2 > Left button > Delete

all off the top of my head. something like that though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to h2a For This Useful Post:

pickeledpeter (02-14-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll wait for the ATV2 unlock...
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Does anyone even own an AppleTV?
    Lol yes! It's awesome can stream bids from my mac iPad and iPhone to my tv in HD! as well as my music library when having a party which I can link to my base stations as well amazing best Xmas preset this year

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I think I'm a moron for not owning an ATV yet

Thanks
    i own one and love it,
    use a 2trig hd on my network put my films and pic's on to it and play them on my ipad/iphone and my atv2, work's great with xmbc.
    i would recommend them,

thanks to all involved for the new jb, worked first time and very easy.
    cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by TreFlon0007 View Post
    This is awesome. I can't wait to do this to mine. The only thing I don't know how to do is what kind of cable do I need to attach it to my computer. Also where can I get one? Thanks
    i use a nokia mini usb lead, type: CA-101 FROM ANY PHONE SHOP OR EBAY ECT,

Supprised that there has been no reference to the fact it runs from a networked hd ? So you dont need to run your mac or pc all the time.

This was the main reason i got it, and it works perfectly,

ps, love geo's vid to sony .

Quote Originally Posted by pickeledpeter View Post
    plex cant run from my hard drive but xmbc can,
    Last edited by IPHONE USER; 02-14-2011 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone yentrog31's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikePA View Post
    Does this mean you used GP on your aTV2 and did not lose WiFi?
    Did not lose wifi after GP jailbreak and had nitoTV installed.But to get any ext.'s for nito to work/show-up I had to reboot(under settings nito),that killed my wifi.So then I went to update nitoTV and that re-connected my wifi,and it installed my ext including custom settings.So now I have custom weather and slideshow backgrounds on mainscreen which is pretty cool.
    "It takes a rare thing, a turning point, to free oneself from any obsession. Be it prejudice or hate, or, even love"

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    After all this time a jailbreak enables weather and RSS feeds... that's it?.... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    ATV Flash Black FTW!

I have been messing around with GP for a couple days now. I had to jailbreak mine without using the power cord. GP crashed during jailbreak if I had the power connected. Worked fine without it. To enter DFU mode, hold MENU + Down Button for 7 secs and then let go for split second and switch to MENU + play/pause for about 5 seconds. Then start GP, after it finished I waited about a minute then clicked the complete button. When I hooked it up to the plasma it worked!
    I sure miss Pwnage Tool.
    Last edited by luvmytj; 02-14-2011 at 09:43 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

How do you get XBMC? Is it included in the download or do you use plex to get it?

Also, with XBMC can you stream directly from a wifi external without the need for a computer?

Sorry so many questions! I have never messed with my ATV2.

Quote Originally Posted by IPHONE USER View Post
    i own one and love it,
    use a 2trig hd on my network put my films and pic's on to it and play them on my ipad/iphone and my atv2, work's great with xmbc.
    i would recommend them,

thanks to all involved for the new jb, worked first time and very easy.
    cheers.

i use a nokia mini usb lead, type: CA-101 FROM ANY PHONE SHOP OR EBAY ECT,

Supprised that there has been no reference to the fact it runs from a networked hd ? So you dont need to run your mac or pc all the time.

This was the main reason i got it, and it works perfectly,

ps, love geo's vid to sony .

plex cant run from my hard drive but xmbc can,
    Once Jail broken, how do you get XBMC?
    Last edited by mustard05; 02-14-2011 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    jb and it installs nito, go to settings and there you have more programs you can install including xbmc,
    i setup my network hd to my pc and mac then just went to settings in xbmc and set up the hd as a windows network (smb) alworked very easy,
    first class job from the jb team .

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Could someone please tell me what xbmc is?
    I want to JB my ATV, but don't know what is out there for it. I am hearing about XBMC, NITOTV, and PLEX, but could someone please explain what each one of these is, what they do, and why I want them/would use them on my ATV. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Is it an easy way to jailbreak my apple tv 2G been trying GP rc6 but can't get it into dfu mode tried like 40 times holding both play pause and menu button while following the on screen directions but still no dfu or jailbreak thanks for any help.

h2a
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roscoboy272 View Post
    I want to JB my ATV, but don't know what is out there for it. I am hearing about XBMC, NITOTV, and PLEX, but could someone please explain what each one of these is, what they do, and why I want them/would use them on my ATV. Any info would be much appreciated.
    XBMC - An alternate/additional media center interface. It runs on many different platforms, and finally, iOS, the operating system that powers the second generation AppleTV. XBMC, most importantly, unlocks the capability to connect to network hard drives and stream basically any video file format to your AppleTV. Additionally, it allows you to install and use other plugins and programs supported by XBMC.

NitoTV - The software that lets you install and manage all of these customizations. Think really basic "Cydia" for AppleTV for now. It also puts RSS feeds and Weather in your menu.

Plex - Allows you to stream media from your Mac with the Plex media server software installed on your computer. It serves up whatever folders you tell it to watch right to your AppleTV. I'm not sure if it currently supports non-Apple formats outside of the typical Quicktime formats or not because I haven't used it.

Quote Originally Posted by bignighttrain View Post
    Is it an easy way to jailbreak my apple tv 2G been trying GP rc6 but can't get it into dfu mode tried like 40 times holding both play pause and menu button while following the on screen directions but still no dfu or jailbreak thanks for any help.
    Here's how I did it--
    Disconnect everything from the AppleTV.
    Open GP and tell it "Yes"
    Connect AppleTV to your computer by USB
    Press and hold Menu + "Down arrow" and count to 7
    Let go of the remote for a split second and then immediately press and hold Menu + Play/Pause
    Count to 5
    Then press Jailbreak.

See if that helps.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to h2a For This Useful Post:

mustard05 (02-14-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Firecore does offer software but the XBMC included with Nito is all you need. Get the fastpass tv plug in and you can watch 100's of current movies. Easier then torrent/download/convert. These are AVI's it's playing back.
    FYI DO A CLEAN INSTALL...RESTORE...before you use GP6. There is a Nito fix (plug in) the WiFi. when it wakes up. It does work for me.

Do a restore first!
    Good luck
    Last edited by Sorenh; 02-14-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

where do you get the fastpass tv plug in at?