+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sony Wants Out of Apple's iTunes

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
You know what they say about payback. Apparently, Sony's feelings are still hurt about Apple rejecting the Sony e-reader application from the App Store because it would have effectively bypassed
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Sony Wants Out of Apple's iTunes

You know what they say about payback. Apparently, Sony's feelings are still hurt about Apple rejecting the Sony e-reader application from the App Store because it would have effectively bypassed Apple's system for buying content. As a result of Apple "cracking down" and "tightening control" even further than usual, Sony may now be gearing up to reject Apple - at least in terms of the music it currently makes available through iTunes.

SONY has signaled it may withdraw its artists from Apple's iTunes store and withhold its games from the iPhone in a sign the two companies are on the brink of all-out war.
    In a new interview with The Age to promote the launch of Sony's Music Unlimited service in Australia, chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment Michael Ephraim says his company isn't afraid to take on iTunes in the digital music space. In reality, the company actually welcomes the competition with Apple. Moving forward, in fact, Ephraim doesn't even see a need for doing business with Apple's iTunes when it's no longer the main player in the game.

"If we do [get mass take-up], then does Sony Music need to provide content to iTunes?" Ephraim said. "Currently we do. We have to provide it to iTunes as that's the format right now." Controversially, he added: "Publishers are being held ransom by Apple and they are looking for other delivery systems, and we are waiting to see what the next three to five years will hold."

The Age
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 02-11-2011 at 09:58 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (02-11-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Proud to be alive during this ePocalypse!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Sony is the last company you want to piss off

Thanks

DramUH!!!! Wow thats crucial.

I don't even pay attention to mainstream music, but wow!

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

What a bunch of corporate cry babies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

holygamer22 (02-11-2011), kainisable (02-11-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah, this is just a threat. What a dumb move by Sony if its not. "Hey guys, we're really mad about Apple enforcing the policies we agreed to abide by when we became app publishers. Let's threaten to withdraw our music -- threatening our tens of millions of dollars a year business for our ereader business that makes just a fraction of that...Yeah, that's a great idea!"

idiots.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I don't think their Artists would be very happy about their music being pulled from iTunes... the largest music retail outlet in the world!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

kainisable (02-11-2011), NetMage (02-11-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yeah!!!! Sony is a big company Apple should not have pissed off.
    I knew Apple would bite off more than they can chew!!!
    I am sure their music will go onto some other retail outlet, not as big as iTunes but at least they will not be pushed around by Apple.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This is Apple's fault. They pick & choose which app & which dev they want to enforce the rules with.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone frail1's Avatar
    Thanks

this is BS, sony would only be punishing themselves. iTunes has got to be their largest source of revenue in the music industry.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to frail1 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (02-11-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone cockyjeremy's Avatar
    Thanks

Go ahead, Sony, screw yourselves because Apple pissed you off and rejected your app that no one was going to use anyway. Makes perfect sense. You won't let us sell 50 eBooks, so we'll keep ourselves from selling thousands of songs. GENIUS!

IF Sony pulls their music from iTunes, they'll be begging to be let back in within months.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It pissed me off that companies like this are clearly thinking of themselves; they forget that it is the end user who suffers. If Apple suddenly has considerably less music, and Sony create their own online store which won't be compatible with the iPod/iPhone (most common MP3 player on the planet) - people will be left discontent and just revert to pirating music because song's can't be purchased from one DRM system and played on another player.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    What a bunch of corporate cry babies.
    Your right. Sony in my opinion is the biggest pussy company out there, or at least one of the biggest. They went full assault on GEOHOTZ because he hacked there ps3. Now apple tells them no and they go and cry. Later they say we might end up taking our music away from you. For real?
    They are looking like a 12 year old who gets mad at there friend for not giving him the toy his playing with. So he tells his friend he will take away this other toy that he let him borrow, just because he didnt give him the toy he has.
    I hope i made sense haha
    Still ive lost almost all respect for sony. They mad because iphone and ds are kicking their psp right in the balls.

Thanks

Will be interesting to see if they will follow through with this threat. Sure Sony will loose millions but so would Apple.

Who do you think will back off first. Apple and their app rules or Sony with their threat.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1shuttle1 View Post
    Will be interesting to see if they will follow through with this threat. Sure Sony will loose millions but so would Apple.

Who do you think will back off first. Apple and their app rules or Sony with their threat.
    I can see Apple letting Sony get what they want. I dont know how much power sony has over music. I suppose a lot. So therefore i suppose it is a big problem for Apple. But Apple has amazed me with flash they never gave in (Thank goodness) So will see. Im with Apple in this one. Sony is to much of a cry baby.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Good for Sony, its about time someone stood upto Apple and their closed system, why do all purchases have to go through iTunes/App store, most people can manage to buy stuff on their iPhone without going via iTunes i.e Amazon app, why can't they purchase in apps without having to give Apple a cut

Sony have plenty of other outlets to sell their digital music without needing to setup their own store

Can Itunes survive with losing one of the four big record labels?
    Last edited by rickuk; 02-11-2011 at 10:52 AM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rickuk For This Useful Post:

mnoraznan (02-12-2011), unison999 (02-11-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Take it from a working musician in an industry liberated from the record labels: if Sony pulls its bands off itunes it will lose half it's bands.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to clockworkengine For This Useful Post:

mnoraznan (02-12-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Aw man 2 of my favorite companies beefing =\

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

Where is the PopCorn. This is going to be good. Even if SONY take there Music Off iTune they Still will make millions the iTune buyers will till find the music someplace else and buy it and loaded to iTunes anyway. So whatever.
    POPCORN Please!..............

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I don't think their Artists would be very happy about their music being pulled from iTunes... the largest music retail outlet in the world!
    That's EXACTLY the first thing I thought about. If Sony pulls the trigger on this threat they can expect to lose lots of recording artists who would rather work with a company that sells on iTunes.

I understand Sony's frustration, but they're only shooting themselves in the foot.