+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sony Wants Out of Apple's iTunes

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Do you guys only shop off of iTunes? When I buy music I buy for the artist and not because where it is available, if it is not on iTunes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Do you guys only shop off of iTunes?
    When I buy music I buy for the artist and not because where it is available, if it is not on iTunes I will buy it from where ever it is available.
    Sony not only have music they have vast movie library as well, that is a lot of content leaving iTunes.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Do you guys only shop off of iTunes?
    When I buy music I buy for the artist and not because where it is available, if it is not on iTunes I will buy it from where ever it is available.
    Sony not only have music they have vast movie library as well, that is a lot of content leaving iTunes.
    I make music and sell it on itunes
    Im eman297

Thanks

It seems like Sony is making a threat of themselves.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Bah couldn't care less, I dont give either company's money for music or apps, arghhh long live the pirot's!
    Seriously tho I don't line the pokets of thoes who allready have more than enough, there used to be a time when people played music for free, as a way of sharing their feelings with the world, now it's all about money screw em all!

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

that would be a big deficit in the itunes music library hurting everyone that buys music
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Sony may want to pull out of iTunes, but you can be damn sure the shareholders, music artists and film studios that are distributed by Sony Pictures would have something big to say about being pulled from such a large market.
    If they wanna leave let them. If I was Apple I wouldn't be trying to stop them. Sony would crawl back with their tails between their legs very soon. If it does come to a stage when iTunes is no longer such a main player in music sales then I can understand Sony's comments, but that doesn't look very likely any time soon.
    There comes a time when some company's and services get so big that they are extremely unlikely to be replaced or outdone. iTunes, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google (search), Windows, Walmart, Coca Cola are examples of this in my opinion. Some have been around for generations, others are relatively new, but I believe most will still be going strong 5, 10 even 20 years from now.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

The music industry is dependent on Apple. Sony won't pull out. This is far from the first endeavor Sony's made into the digital music distribution business and they've yet to succeed. The problem with Sony is that they own the content and sell their own hardware, but fail to realize that with something like music they have to remain completely platform agnostic. Next thing you'll see is Sony releasing their tracks in a proprietary format only Sony player's can decode... oh wait, they've already tried that. For the record, MP3's purchased from iTunes can be played on every mobile device on the market. Looks like Apple made the right choice by moving away from their proprietary protected AAC format.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Did Sony actually say they're doing this because of the ereader situation, or is that just the authors belief?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Pure speculation. This would be bad for everyone: Apple, Sony, and us as the endusers. I love syncing my phone via iTunes(not like I have a choice) and I prefer to get my music there too. This will put a huge hole right in the middle of Apple's sales.

Thanks

Hasn't Sony been doing pretty badly for a while now? Is this a smart move?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Sony may want to pull out of iTunes, but you can be damn sure the shareholders, music artists and film studios that are distributed by Sony Pictures would have something big to say about being pulled from such a large market.
    If they wanna leave let them. If I was Apple I wouldn't be trying to stop them. Sony would crawl back with their tails between their legs very soon. If it does come to a stage when iTunes is no longer such a main player in music sales then I can understand Sony's comments, but that doesn't look very likely any time soon.
    There comes a time when some company's and services get so big that they are extremely unlikely to be replaced or outdone. iTunes, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google (search), Windows, Walmart, Coca Cola are examples of this in my opinion. Some have been around for generations, others are relatively new, but I believe most will still be going strong 5, 10 even 20 years from now.
    My thoughts exactly.

iPhone? More like MyPhone law111's Avatar
    Thanks

C'mon!!! What are we 12 and on the playground again?!
    iPhone Firmware - 4.1
    Service - AT&T
    Device - iPhone 4 BLACK 16GB

Thanks

Apple rejected Sony's ereader because it bypasses Apple? In what way?

Doesn't the Kindle app 'bypass Apple'? It launches a browser and you go through Amazon.com.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

1.) Apple's a pushy for rejecting Sony's ereader apps while allowing Amazon's kindle
    2.) Sony's a crybaby for some silly payback of pulling contents from iTunes

You know both companies have the hots for each other, and this was initiated by Apple first. Though its the author belief that there is this pattern in behind. LoL.

Sony's pretty big on entertainment with music and movies, and Apple's big on retail market -- both need each other. Losing 1/4 of Hollywood stuff won't be funny for Apple, and leaving a huge distribution channel won't be funny for Sony as well.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wow, why are some people on here such little Apple fan-boys -___- I mean damn, I read here to keep up to date on Apple products, not worship the Apple logo. I think a little competition is healthy, so I wish Sony the best of luck, and quite frankly, hope they give Apple a run for their money. I'd like to add that Apple's policies on apps are a bit uptight. I mean come-on, get your head out your butts Apple! Some restrictions are good, but they've got developers by the balls!

Green Apple
    Thanks

If this was coming from almost any other company, I'd be all, "Right on!" But Sony? They are the kings of bulls#!t proprietary formats and hobbling DRMs. At least when Apple pulls this kinda B.S. their products are discernibly superior IMHO. Talk about the pot calling he kettle black!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I don't think their Artists would be very happy about their music being pulled from iTunes... the largest music retail outlet in the world!
    I couldn't agree more. It's mostly how accessible iTunes music is to apple product owners being on their top 3 portable devices: iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. I can't remember the last time I bought music on my computer but I buy on average 20 songs a month right on my phone. Sony's music store could never compete with that accessibility and to remove their artists from that would be a horrible move from a company with a stellar track record for business decisions.(as I sit here listening to my minidisc player sorting my Betamax collection)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I don't think their Artists would be very happy about their music being pulled from iTunes... the largest music retail outlet in the world!
    They wont care if the next option is still succesful. You think if Sony decided to just sell through amazon that their revenues would drop that much? mMaybe at first but within a year they'd be right back where they wanted to be. iTunes would by lacking an AWFUL lot of music without the backing of Sony. Boatload of new artists, and a staggering amount of older stuff. Mariah Carey's back catalog for instance.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post
    They wont care if the next option is still succesful. You think if Sony decided to just sell through amazon that their revenues would drop that much? mMaybe at first but within a year they'd be right back where they wanted to be. iTunes would by lacking an AWFUL lot of music without the backing of Sony. Boatload of new artists, and a staggering amount of older stuff. Mariah Carey's back catalog for instance.
    Good point. I think I'd have to end my life if I didn't have access to Mariah Carey's back catalog. Or not. If Sony thought they could pull out of iTunes and not lose a large volume of sales they would. However they can't, so they won't, and that's why they haven't.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

well, whatever Sony decides to do, HOPEFULLY they keep their cool and stay with Apple iTunes. i don't use it much myself, but its still a helpful source for me from time to time and its vitally important for some people that are technologically challenged to using anything BUT iTunes

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123