+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4.3 Beta Teases Possible Apple TV Gaming Platform

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
While commonly thought of as little more than a "hobby" to Apple, the living room is becoming an increasingly important target for Cupertino's product development aims. Given the explosion in
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default iOS 4.3 Beta Teases Possible Apple TV Gaming Platform

While commonly thought of as little more than a "hobby" to Apple, the living room is becoming an increasingly important target for Cupertino's product development aims. Given the explosion in popularity of the Apple TV and rampant speculation about Apple entering the connect-flatscreen TV business, it seems as though Apple is gearing up for an even bigger push into the living room than anyone had previously thought possible.

According to the folks at Engadget, who were on the receiving end of an anonymous provider of iOS 4.3 beta 3 code snippets, Apple may be planning to launch an Apple TV gaming platform in the near future. In particular, two strings of code, "com.apple.appletv.play.live.thunder" and "com.apple.appletv.play.archive.thunder" suggest that Cupertino is getting serious about gaming. As a result, if video game support comes to the Apple TV, it could prove a game changer for the video gaming industry as we presently know it.

Suspicions of Apple entering the video game industry date back two years, however, when an unearthed Apple patent appeared to indicate that Apple TV owners would be allowed to engage in causal gaming on the original version of the Apple TV. The hugely successful September refresh of the set-top box has apparently also restored the company's desire to explore new gaming opportunities for users. Naturally, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 have nothing to worry about immediately. But Apple's prospective foray into the video game market will, indeed, exert pronounced influence on the entire gaming market. And Apple rarely does anything without the intention of becoming a major player in its chosen field.

* UPDATE

Following Engadget's initial report, which spread like wildfire across the tech blogosphere, Jay Freeman (Saurik) weighed in on the matter, effectively debunking in his infinite wisdom some of which was contained in the reports. "Engadget seriously believes that 'ATVGamesStandingsController' has to do with physical game controllers as opposed to model-view-controller," he tweeted earlier Thursday, later adding: "Based on the snippet Engadget put in their article, /my/ guess is that Apple is adding something like 'NBA playoff schedule' to the AppleTV."

Engadget
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 02-10-2011 at 06:31 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

dimplenicko (02-10-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    exciting but i want someone to jailbreak the dang thing so we can see what the ATV2 is capable of.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Dang

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This was already debunked as references to Netflix and Sports streaming.
    Sedona is the Netflix codename all over AppleTV

Messany if you think iOS games on your TV will change video games as we know them then you are clearly the most delusional Apple fanboy I've ever come across

Thanks

Unless my Apple TV 2Gen can Play MvsC3 which is soon to be out. I don't think I would ever put a side my PS3 or Xbox360 for a game on the Apple TV 2Gen.

Quote Originally Posted by pickeledpeter View Post
    exciting but i want someone to jailbreak the dang thing so we can see what the ATV2 is capable of.
    Where have you been? The apple tv 2Gen was JB I believe the first or second week it was release which allows root access to install apps from your CPU.
    Last edited by zeroskater61; 02-10-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zeroskater61 For This Useful Post:

mosesh (02-10-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes I think it's for Netflix not actual gaming and I don't expect any dent into ps3 or xbox sales anytime soon

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

if the Apple TV could play games, it would instantly go on my wish list

Thanks
    Thanked 14,167 Times in 6,639 Posts

Might see it's potential realized after all then.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garstie View Post
    Dang
    Double dang
    Nothing in life is easy.

Thanks

Now let's take a look dose apple stand a chance right now no but with the increasing speed boosts the SP, Comcast Dish Network, Clear Network, AT&T and so on are providing in a year or two yes. That said who wants to buy a DVD game from the mall Game Stop or Wall Mart just to scratch it up loose it or just gets stolen, you payed upwards fo $60.00 for the game and there's no get back. You do what they want you to do & that's go and spend some more of that cash. Now on Apples end and the way the MacAppStore has taken off why not, pay once and that's it you can't find it download it again it's that easy. Besides XBox has a gaming system that's a little bigger than the Apple TV and you never pop in a game you just plug the power in plug in the hdmi cable to the tv grab the wireless remotes sign in with your account user name and streem your games over wifi. So as to the future about Apple taking over the gaming market not yet just give it some time cause I don't see DVD's CD's or BlueRay staying around too long when every thing you want is already at your finger tips & a download away.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post

Messany if you think iOS games on your TV will change video games as we know them then you are clearly the most delusional Apple fanboy I've ever come across
    Hahhaa so true
    Rampage
    Back To The Basics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post

Add an Apple Bluetooth gaming controller as an add on to the mac / apple tv and you've got yourself a fully fledged games console with millions of people ready to rock and roll

10.7 to incorporate game centre into OS X and that would be the biggest social gaming platform in the world.

I don't think this is going to happen any time soon but it will happen, and after it does it will be huge.

My iPhone is a Part of Me speedfreak228's Avatar
    Thanks

i wish apple would make a gaming console. everything they make works. i am sick and tired of xboxes rrod ********

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigbaba's Avatar
    Thanks

They should call it Pippin

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I would like to see a 50" touch screen ios apple tv. Something like a giant ipad.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    Add an Apple Bluetooth gaming controller as an add on to the mac / apple tv and you've got yourself a fully fledged games console with millions of people ready to rock and roll

10.7 to incorporate game centre into OS X and that would be the biggest social gaming platform in the world.

I don't think this is going to happen any time soon but it will happen, and after it does it will be huge.
    If people go out and buy said controller, then they'd be ready. Are all the game dev's gonna update their games for a controller too? Are you gonna have to pay, again, for Angry Birds etc on AppleTV like you did when it came out on the Mac Store?

I hate to burst your bubble but Facebook is the biggest social gaming platform in the world, so unless Apple sells 1 Billion iDevices with GameCenter, they won't be close.

AppleTV is not a powerful piece of hardware, it can't even display 1080p, it has only 256GB Ram and 8GB of storage. You couldn't even fit your average PC/PS3/Xbox game on that storage. So apart from hi-res versions of Cut the Rope or Angry Birds, it is not going to be capable to do any serious gaming.

The iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad are also not serious gaming devices, they are simply casual, waste a few minutes gaming, devices.

But all this entire article is stupid because several sources have realized that the code references have nothing to do with gaming.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garstie View Post
    Dang!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazz187s View Post
    Double Dang!!
    Triple Dang!!!

If apple does go in the gaming industry they will most likely not fail because being apple they fr3akin DOMINATE!!! i mean they wouldn't go "console" if they knew they were going to lose! I wonna see whta apple has up it's sleeve

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No you haven't

No it wouldn't

No it won't

Let's face it ... the Apple TVs got the graphical power of a kettle - it probably can't even cope with games as complex as tetris without a bit of frame lag. As for the biggest social gaming platform in the world. Microsoft has that by a long way with XBox Live. OK so Apple MIGHT one day produce a proper console, but that's been rumoured for at least a decade to my memory and it's still not happened.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    Unless my Apple TV 2Gen can Play MvsC3 which is soon to be out. I don't think I would ever put a side my PS3 or Xbox360 for a game on the Apple TV 2Gen.

Where have you been? The apple tv 2Gen was JB I believe the first or second week it was release which allows root access to install apps from your CPU.
    not the latest firmware. Thank you for your time though.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

The only thing I can even remotely see being on ATV is GameCenter, but even then I don't think it'll happen.