+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Adobe Flash 10.2 Out of Beta, Utilizes 'Stage Video'

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Adobe has officially released a major update of its flash player for Mac, version 10.2. The release is significant most notably for its inclusion of what Adobe calls 'Stage Video'
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Adobe Flash 10.2 Out of Beta, Utilizes 'Stage Video'

Adobe has officially released a major update of its flash player for Mac, version 10.2. The release is significant most notably for its inclusion of what Adobe calls 'Stage Video' technology that is used to utilize GPU hardware acceleration, drastically limiting the plugin's CPU usage.

It was big news last fall when Apple's newest notebook, the ultra-slim MacBook Air was released without flash, and further testing revealed that installing flash on the tiny device could decrease the battery life to almost half of what was reported by Apple when the computer was released to the public. Hopefully this new flash technology will allow all Mac users, including those with the new MacBook air to utilize flash without worrying about significantly draining their batteries, and without using too much of the computer's memory.

"Stage Video lets websites take advantage of full hardware acceleration of the entire video pipeline. This builds on the H.264 hardware accelerated decoding in Flash Player 10.1. Stage Video hardware acceleration means that Flash Player can play even higher quality video while using dramatically less processing power, giving users a better experience, greater performance, and longer battery life. In our testing across supported systems, we've found it's up to 34 times more efficient.

Put another way, Flash Player using Stage Video can effortlessly play beautiful 1080p HD video with just 1-15% CPU usage on a common Mac or Windows computer* - working across platforms and browsers, it will enable the best video experience for the most people."

The only downside to this update is that websites must update their own video players to use this major update. We can expect major websites such as YouTube should be on top of that in no time at all. This does mean that widespread improvements will take a little bit of time.

This update comes as a nice improvement, particularly for Mac users. We all know how Steve Jobs feels about Flash, but for those who still rely on it in one way or another, we can all be very thankful for today's update.

Source:
    MacRumors
    Adobe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Savoca For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (02-09-2011)

Thanks

Default Flash
    If jobs hates flash so much why is it on macs???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default flash
    to sell them i guess

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by avenger View Post
    If jobs hates flash so much why is it on macs???
    Because Mac OS X isn't a closed system (yet) and developers are free to develop whatever they like for the platform.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

lilljav (02-09-2011)

Thanks

Installed this. I might report back the battery consumption.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cool!! I wonder if that would make my old PowerBook play YouTube videos smoother?

iPhone? More like MyPhone 97vrsix's Avatar
    Thanks

It should! Lol

I don't know why it's at least not in use on iPhone, if it is on mac. I understand flash is sort of a garbage program, but it's in use, wide span! So, embrace, or resist! Jobs chose to resist! And that blows for for of us that do use the junk code. Lol.

Yea, go adobe! Maybe they made a good installer so the MACs will actually be able to install the update! Anyone of my other Apple users find this to be annoying?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    New unibody Macbook Pro, the jacked Model.. Iphone 2G, and 3G, 3G's, And 4G.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

That is good news, I think it's a little late for adobe to make a comeback that might put flash on the iOS devices, jobs is so on html5 that I don't think he'll look back now
    Last edited by EskimoRuler; 02-10-2011 at 01:32 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Awesome improvement!
    Just tested it out and saw huge improvements. Watched the video regarding the Verizon iphone antenna issue and CPU was at about 75%. Dropped to 25% or less after the update. Maybe now Steve will allow it on the iOS devices.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i think jobs doent like flash cause of battery consumption, maybe they would do some test and add it but i still think html5 its a much better software

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Good to know, updating now.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Jobs doesn't like flash because you can bypass his app store and play online games, he doesn't like anyone bypassing his store

Thanks

still slams the CPU when streaming live events in Chrome and Firefox.

I don't see any improvement at all in terms of CPU usage.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    still slams the CPU when streaming live events in Chrome and Firefox.

I don't see any improvement at all in terms of CPU usage.
    Did you try to play a stored flash video. I'm assuming live video feeds fall under the...

The only downside to this update is that websites must update their own video players to use this major update. We can expect major websites such as YouTube should be on top of that in no time at all. This does mean that widespread improvements will take a little bit of time.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

i tried it out and didnt see an improvement trying to stream a colbert report episode, but that might be due to comedy central not updating it just yet.

it was weird because i ran the video first before updating and was right around 70% cpu for firefox and after the update the same video was around 80% cpu
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!